Your Go To Boars

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
What you have been grabbing lately and why?

Me fling when small, giggle box when bigger, lately sub scorcher 2. Seamless transitions between them. Low tail rocker and entree rocker. 2-1/8 on ss2 and 2.25 on go. 4.5 ish nose rocker. Easy to surf.

F6 fins on the go and fcs2 gam on ss2. Ss2 has fairly substantial single concave in front of the finz despite what they market.

Reactions: teeroi

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Just ordered another Monsta Box HyFi today after getting rid of the old one. Been my go to small wave board in both constructions the past few years. Had the Sub2 and only liked it the first surf, never clicked with it again and ended up getting rid of it. Funny that the original worked much better for me.

Reactions: teeroi and Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was riding Pyzel Shadow in XTR a lot but then I blew the nose up on my shin so I've been waiting for my ding repair guy to get back from a trip to fix it for me because I don't want to botch such a critical repair. Otherwise I've been on a Rusty Twin and 6-10 Blackbird depending on conditions. Ghost when it's barreling or just really good which isn't often enough. Rode one of my old favorite Stamps squarsh thrusters a week or so ago and it felt a bit too thin for me since I've put on some weight this year. Bout made me want to cry.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
1AE4FD68-4A10-41ED-AAF8-EEB34AE5A233.jpeg

I don’t get to surf as much during the winter so I asked Wade Tokoro to make me a cheater board. I asked if he still made the Moonfish. Seeing Racer list it as a board he liked reminded me of the one I had 5 or so years ago. I remember getting some nice tubes. Wade said yeah he can make me one. I asked if he could pull in the nose outline and put some vee in the tail.
The next day Wade texted me the outline. 6’0 x 20 x 2 3/4. 36L.
Probably won’t see it done for awhile. The glassers are swamped right now getting boards ready for the Triple Crown.
I asked Jeannie if she could airbrush the anti shark stripes on the bottom and spray a rail band on the deck by the nose so it will look like it’s a pointy nose shortboard. Haha. I’ll post a ride report and pics when it’s finished.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Pyzel 5'10 Nugget or Astro Twin when small, i.e <6ft faces
Pyzel 6'0 Pyzalien or 6'3 Ghost when ok to decent. 5-12ft faces
Webster 6'10 Desert Storm when solid or devil wind, >10ft faces
Webster 7'6 Spartan when big

Wildcards: 6'2 Byrning Spears 6 channel. 6'6 Russ Short.

Could get away with just Nugget, Ghost and Desert Storm.

Mar 13, 2019
Bouncing between a 5'2 Biscuit Bonzer, a 5'8 Simon Anderson Heritage thruster and spicing it up with a 6'2 Russ Short Bonzer.
That Biscuit Bonzer works from knee high to overhead. Super fun board.
I've been eyeballing that Biscuit Bonzer at the same size. In bigger surf, do you ever feel like it's too skippy or not enough rail? What do you like/not like about it?

Current go-to's:
5'2" Lost PJ - small or mushy
5'6" Griffin Modfish - just about everything else
6'1" Lost Mini Driver - OH-DOH

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Lost Bottom Feeder (that I won't ever sell) - 6 litres above my HPSB volume. Paddles and catches them with the mal's and I can still throw it around. Doesn't like anything hollow though.

CI Sampler - best small wave board i've had. 2-4 ft. Likes a small barrel. Since throwing the MB fins in it I have been able to do both little whips and nice big hacks on any face that presents itself. Love the hip.

CI Fever - Such an easy board when the waves are good.

Been on this run for a while, have a Gary McNeill on order to spice it up a bit but super happy with my quiver.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Raynor Nugget in anything under overhead. 5'10 x 21 x 2 5/8. 37L

Arakawa Amplifire when the surf is good. 6'2 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8. 34L

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
5'4 x 20 3/8 x 2 3/8 Rozbern Jibber - for when the waves are small, or a 5'6 locally shaped EPS quad fish
new to me 5'6 CI Pod Mod - everyday
5'9 x 19 5/8 x 2 7/16 Roam Chovy - chest/head high and above

I don't get to surf good waves very often

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
My old quiver died a horrible death over the last few months, so I’ve completely changed it up with two merricks. Loving it so far.

Spine tech Socket Wide 5’9”. Twin + trailer or Merrick thrusters.
PU Fever 6’1 round tail. Merrick thrusters. Best hpsb I’ve had in ages.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The latest rotation. Just got the Xanadu so not alot of time on it yet, but it's been alot of fun. Been waiting on a Pyzel Shadow from XTR to finish up.

The Gremlin/Ghost are the workhorses for me on most days.

5'8" Xanadu Wave Rocket (Machado Keel fins)
5'10 XTR Gremlin (Machado 2+1's fins)
6'3" Ghost (Solus fins)

Attachments

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I've been eyeballing that Biscuit Bonzer at the same size. In bigger surf, do you ever feel like it's too skippy or not enough rail? What do you like/not like about it?

Current go-to's:
5'2" Lost PJ - small or mushy
5'6" Griffin Modfish - just about everything else
6'1" Lost Mini Driver - OH-DOH
Positives: works from knee to overhead (as long as it isn't pitching, powerful waves - i tried and failed...). I actually find the rocker, rail and the fin cluster all combine for a really good design. It's really flat! Feels like the perfect bonzer to me and i've got four at the moment. It's really loose when driving down the line but absolutely engages on a rail - even in bigger stuff - when you push through your turns. And i love how hard you can push it through a bottom turn and it doesn't slide out. I can't say that about other bonzers i've ridden. The 6.5 inch fin works perfect at 5 3/4. It's super fast. You get the fifth gear feeling all the time - even in crap waves. And it's setup up for performance surfing - so it can snap really well and go vert pretty easily. I find it likes front and back foot just fine.
Negatives: Still looking for consistent backhand results - but that's my post injury kookiness and reluctance to surf my backhand other than on a thruster. The other neg is wanting to ride it in bigger, powerful surf, knowing i'm going to only make 50% of those late take offs...that said - i rode it in some head high bombs last week with a 7 inch fin and got some super fast barrels and high line rail grab turns and that fin really stretched out the turn radius. It's always remarkable how much a fin move or change will alter one of these boards.
I say grab one - it would be a really fun addition to the quiver.