paddling fatigue

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
You tried gymnastic rings yet?
Just got a set this week. Some resistance bands and a jump rope too for travel workouts. Thinking about getting a sandbag kettlebell also. Getting old sucks, used to just surf and hold a good amount of muscle naturally. 31 in a few weeks, can’t imagine what the future is going to be like :bricks:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Just got a set this week. Some resistance bands and a jump rope too for travel workouts. Thinking about getting a sandbag kettlebell also. Getting old sucks, used to just surf and hold a good amount of muscle naturally. 31 in a few weeks, can’t imagine what the future is going to be like :bricks:
Getting old is the worst.

These guys rule = https://gmb.io/tag/gymnastic-rings/

I really like my BruteForce sandbag kit (athlete size, comes w/ 30, 50lb filler bags). Shouldering, ground to overhead, TGUs, and loaded carries.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishtank

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

You think 31 is old? You're still a kid!!

Just kidding. For real though, stay active, keep muscle tone up, keep your legs strong.

Reactions: fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Buy a 5,1 CI pod, put on 5mm wetsuit, booties, hood and gloves, paddle to Channel Islands and back everyday. Done and done.

Reactions: retodd and hal9000

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing? I just started out surfing and I can't get it off my mind. My last surf session was only 1 hour and I got pretty tired just from paddling. So, I decided to hit the gym to bulk up a little. What exercises I should be doing to help me in the water next time? P.S. aside from hitting the gym, I'm also planning to do some laps at a local pool every once a week. So any advice on beneficial exercise program to stay in shape and improve my endurance?

More volume in your boards. Make them work for you instead of fighting them.

Reactions: anothergrom

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Dropping body fat is huge.

I used to have big shoulders from lifting weights and it just seemed to make paddling harder.

What you want is thoracic spine mobility and Low body fat.

But you can still dead lift and do pull ups and have that.

I like doing over head holds of a bar bell. I notice that help probably from increase mobility.

Has anyone mentioned surfing a lot?

That helps

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
31 is like diaperville brahdah! Just wait!
At 30 you are grieving the loss of youth.

When you are 50 you are grieving the loss of adult hood.

I'm 58 and I just don't give a fuck no more.

I like living but I kind of don't care if I die.

If I got the word I was going to die, I would still freak, but I would also express a sigh of relief and I could start doing tons of heroine.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc