Coming back after 3 months off - What's it like?

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Hey ya'll.

I'm just wondering what most people's experiences are like after coming off of a significant injury that left you out of the water and unable to surf or even exercise for around 3-4 months. Was it like riding a bike? How was your paddle fitness compared to before the injury and how long/how many sessions before you felt like you got back into good surfing shape? What was harder to re-develop, your timing or your body?

I recently had a back injury that's left me pretty immobile for a month or so... I'm slowly gaining it back. It's the first significant injury i've had so am curious what others experienced making a comeback. For reference, I'm in my early 30s and before I got injured was surfing 5-6 days a week and in what I would call above average paddle shape. I have no expectations for how I will return and am not trying to rush anything.

Thanks for the replies... yewwWW!!

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
It's not like starting as a beginner again. Your muscles have memory...no matter how out of shape I get jumping back in the water always feels natural. It's definitely like riding a bike...usually I just find that my confidence/timing/popups are a little slow. I'm 35 and I've had multiple times out for injuries.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
3 months is easy. try 1.5 yrs
You get any benefits from the time off? I'm thinking taking some time off may be beneficial in that some bad habits with technique will be easier to undue.

Reactions: Havoc

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
It's not like starting as a beginner again. Your muscles have memory...no matter how out of shape I get jumping back in the water always feels natural. It's definitely like riding a bike...usually I just find that my confidence/timing/popups are a little slow. I'm 35 and I've had multiple times out for injuries.
I've been surfing since I was a youngin' and every time I take some time off and getting back I feel it's basically like riding a bike... not as bad as I think. Never been out with an injury that prevented me from exercising out of the water tho, so I guess that's where the unknown lies.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Long periods out of the water kill me now. I can't seem to pull it together.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Paddling and endurance goes to sh!t. Timing is off and confidence shattered too. Usually takes a few weeks of consistent surfing to feel in tune again.

Reactions: Havoc

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
when i blew out my knee i came back after 4 months or so using the Rick kane method, started with a longboard worked down to some high volume easy wave catching boards and eventually back onto my regular boards. the surfing doesn't leave you , just the paddling and popping up.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
when i blew out my knee i came back after 4 months or so using the Rick kane method, started with a longboard worked down to some high volume easy wave catching boards and eventually back onto my regular boards. the surfing doesn't leave you , just the paddling and popping up.
this, plus timing for me. Ill be going on at least 6 months off.