my foray into Reddit r/surfing community

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
i dont talk in the lineup and i hate hearing anyone else talk
especially when theyre noobie fags who recently started following me to my solo peak and decided its their new spot, and they bring friends
That always happens, I go out early, I go out of my way down the beach, and every barney ignores all the empty peaks and crowd around me yewing every minute. Should I strap a scuba knife to my arm and act crazy to scare them off?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
That always happens, I go out early, I go out of my way down the beach, and every barney ignores all the empty peaks and crowd around me yewing every minute. Should I strap a scuba knife to my arm and act crazy to scare them off?
I like to paddle up to the grumpiest guy in the water, ask him about the weather, tell him his wetsuit looks good on him. S#it like that, until he gets pissed and gets out and goes home.

Do we know each other? Wanna go get coffee afterwards? I like your posts. You're so funny...

Reactions: Topazslider

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I like to paddle up to the grumpiest guy in the water, ask him about the weather, tell him his wetsuit looks good on him. S#it like that, until he gets pissed and gets out and goes home.

Do we know each other? Wanna go get coffee afterwards? I like your posts. You're so funny...
You would have loved it here 25 years ago. Even 20. Even 15. For reference there were 4 other locals, myself being the least “grumpy”, the other 4 increasing in “grumpiness” by an order of magnitude up to 11 on a scale of 10. And that’s if fvckin Tobin wasn’t around. You could have taken your pick on any of us and the result would have been the same: adiós pendejo.

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018

No coffee, but Acai bowls or burritos,

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

Love when guys try to do this to me. I laugh and joke with you and catch every wave, especially if it's your turn and you have better positioning. We're friends, right?

We have a group thread for my local and we tally up how many "Soul Crushes" we do and break down how we crushed them. Sometimes it's passive comments like, "you're board doesn't throw any spray," or "That board is kinda slow, huh?" Other times it's paddling people all over the place. Sometimes it's telling people to go in. The best times are when two of us triangle you in double coverage and make sure you only get shitty ones. The breakdowns are more enjoyable than the waves sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bird.LA and afoaf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Love when guys try to do this to me. I laugh and joke with you and catch every wave, especially if it's your turn and you have better positioning. We're friends, right?

We have a group thread for my local and we tally up how many "Soul Crushes" we do and break down how we crushed them. Sometimes it's passive comments like, "you're board doesn't throw any spray," or "That board is kinda slow, huh?" Other times it's paddling people all over the place. Sometimes it's telling people to go in. The best times are when two of us triangle you in double coverage and make sure you only get shitty ones. The breakdowns are more enjoyable than the waves sometimes.
Don’t expect him to be doing that to you if he’s dedicated his life to working on foundation bids and drinking bloody marys from sunup to noon on Sunday morning.

Otherwise I haven’t seen any new tactics that even a kook like me didn’t know before Nixon was president.

Here it’s paddling people up the point . But only if it’s good enough to be worth the effort. If not 5/7 why bother? Dick move.

Hey afoaf, who gets to be “water patrol” during a contest when the waves are firing because their friend says “this guy is the water patrol. Any questions? I didn’t think so. Hey broski charge it!”

When I moved here I had an actual letter of presentation from el maestro Patricio Tobin whom (hey auto did I get that right?) I knew from Laguna days. Think PPK but with a legendary less than reasonable attitude towards anybody that showed up to surf. A first class prick. No aloha. Brah. That got me an audition but the getting the part required a bunch more than “respect the locals” “work your way to the peak” bla bla bla. You had to prove yourself to the community.

The 4 - 5 people I regularly surfed with, some of us dropped their kids off to school (my wife took our kids, I made their lunch), but we all showed up about the same time. First me and Carlitos because we lived closest, then “Mr. Happy” our resident pit bull, then (he may still be wanted...) then Toño “El Licenciado” of early Peta fame. Every day. Later on Sunday because that’s family day. Unless it’s pumping. Lo siento.

We seldom talked in the water beyond nice wave you got worked etc. After, un café, un “churro”, small time bs session, and on your way.

To whatever else you did.

It really isn’t that complicated. Is it?