Hand Kite Foiling

Mar 20, 2019
No wind experience. 1 session was able to figure out how to get up to my feet using the wing to help, and how to change direction using the wing. But just felt like I was continuously underpowered and couldn't get up on foil. But also just holding your hands up over your head the whole time makes everything feel a little different. Tried to ride switch stance a couple times and that felt beyond awkward. But I can surf switch a bit, so should be able to get it down.

Got my f-one wing yesterday, so looking forward to taking it out. But I still need to find a sup foilboard.

Also a spot where I don't have to worry about being blown out to sea would be nice.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
How'd the 4'10 go? Straps?
Ha, well got the mast into the plate adapter and realized my barrel nuts were metric and I only have standard hardware. So no 4'10 trials yet. I'll let you know when I do.

BTW saw Kane (@kdmaui) wingfoil first hand yesterday on his little 4' strapless. He spent a good 15 minutes just trying to get outa the water and up and running. While AlexA had done about 4 laps to the outer reefs and back. I'm thinking I'm gonna leave the little proner boards winging to the kids. It looked like too much time/work to get up, I wanna have fun, not get frustrated.

Same think happened to Christian Pacifico the other day at Hookipa, he was on a little board and got stuck waay outside trying to get up for 20 minutes.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Hdip: yes, the knees first is the way go to.

And good point about being new to windsports. I was on the other forum this morning (seabreeze) pontificating about wind sports newbies. ;-) Main point being: as a surfer moving into kiting, I can assure you that most surfers have a mistaken impression about what is enough wind. It takes a year or two of kiting or windsurfing to really get a good sense of it -- and until then, your best bet is to follow the example of those who know. If you see kiters sitting on the beach waiting, then don't assume they are kooks who don't know what they are doing -- it's probably not windy enough! And if you are at a beach that the kiters don't go to, there's probably a reason -- and it isn't that they are kooks who are too lazy to try. Wind is surprisingly localized, there are very subtle specifics that make one spot better than others, and wind chasers are all about maximizing potential by going to the optimal spot. I suspect some of the problem reports we are hearing on learning wind wings is from not quite getting the wind [and I am not judging from afar, as that has been my problem too; I want my wing to work in 12kts, but no matter how badly I may desire this, or how hard I try, it just doesn't]

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I'm pretty surprised at these responses guys. Are you guys going out alone with no wind sport knowledge? Or with people who are giving you tips while you're doing it?

Kite surfing is easy enough to pick up in 3 lessons or so with an instructor. Quite hard to pick up on your own. I wonder how much "wind window" type knowledge you need to figure it out. The really good foil/kite/multi sport guys say it's an easy way to learn a wind sport.

I bet having over 20 MPH wind would be a huge plus to learning. Of course when it's blowing that hard, that means there are harder gusts and I get scared.
No wind experience for me. I’ve been flying solo, but I’ll probably have a chance to get some help today.

No SUP at all either. That seems to be a bit of a big deal for me....stupid though it sounds.

I’ve been out twice, first time because I was frothing too hard, but the wind wasn’t quite there for me...I just sailed around trying my best to figure it out.

Yesterday we had an insane low pressure system pass over us...wind at 60kts at times. I hid on the protected side of a marina. I actually got up and sailed across the wind a few times but didn’t get on the foil. The wind was too inconsistent and swirly to get a bead on. I would have a few goes, get sent downwind and then paddle back.

The board I borrowed may not be ideal, if I’m lucky I’ll get to borrow a Sunova sup today.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
If the wind has holes in it, just practice on the beach. It has to be solid 20 MPH to learn I'd imagine. Part of the reason I haven't jumped on one.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
shoot...i was just assuming you could just water start it like a windsurfer...small wave sail on a sinker board...but if alex and the rest are not doing it then it most likely cannot be done by bigger guys...guess ill keep my SUP

Reactions: Kaser1

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
shoot...i was just assuming you could just water start it like a windsurfer...small wave sail on a sinker board...but if alex and the rest are not doing it then it most likely cannot be done by bigger guys...guess ill keep my SUP
Yea sup the way I think for now, unless someone comes up with a new design that is in between prone and SUP that works.

Had a blast chasing Kalama and Alex yesterday. Wind was nuking at Kanaha, dumping speed all over, outside lumps you could sail onto and just let go and downwind style ride. Yer gonna have a blast your next visit :shaka:

May 15, 2017
Cush/spacestick has a 6 foot (and 4’6) foilsurfer coming out. The other cush surfboards are in a class of their own materials wise. Memory foam rails. The whole board is vacuum wrapped with a smooth cushy skin. Carbon and basalt and eps inside. Kinda spendy but worth it when shin and rib slams on the rail are softer. Easier to carry on your shoulder. Grippy skin helps your hands grip the rails when sliding yourself up on the board. Riding is all Hands above your head. Always landing on the board. Pretty sure most all boards will be made that way in the future. Like riding a dolphin instead of a crab. Feels alive.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Yo guys. Could you start out with one of these wings with just a straight up SUP with no foil to get a feel? Even if it's just doing a downwinder? or could you tack with an sup? I have a predominately s/sw running tidal creek near my house - and that's often our wind direction. Thinking it could be a good place to give it a try. Then move to a foil. I took a buddy foiling behind my 21 foot cc yesterday. he was riding the dang wake at about 9 mph. Was such a trip to see in person. This may be my next thing. Lots of offshore bars to try this around Charleston.

Reactions: Kaser1

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Chris have you tried foiling being a boat yet?

I think practicing the wing with a skate board would be good training wheels too.

Someone here mentioned that.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
yup the wing works GREAT with a regular SUP especially on days where theres not enough wind to fly a kite 7-10 kts or just barely...the wing still is a lot of fun and you can still catch waves flying the SUP

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Status update...

Had a nice wing session just cruisy late afternoon. When I was coming in, close to shore I dismounted, board flipped exposing foils in the air, wind decided to bounce the kite right onto the foils, knifing 2 slices through the material. :mad:

Patching rips/holes #2 and #3 today. I guess it's bound to happen, and shouldn't get too pissed...but it's hard not to.:bricks: