80% of California Surf Spots Gone with 3 Feet of Sea Level Rise

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not sure where you're getting your information, but you seem to be full of sh!t.

"Seas around the world have risen an average of nearly 3 inches (8 centimeters) since 1992, with some locations rising more than 9 inches (25 centimeters) due to natural variation, according to the latest satellite measurements from NASA and its partners. "
Damn, that’s super accurate measurements. That’s about 3mm per year.

I had no idea that we had satellites that could such a tiny change over the course of a year.

Simply amazing....

Almost unbelievable...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
when the big quake comes, california will fall into the sea, and create tons of new breaks
This sparks a thought. What do you think will happen first...

1. Planet earth becomes uninhabitable over the course of a century or two due to climate change or....

2. some catastrophic natural disaster such as Yellowstone super volcano or pandemic infection or global thermonuclear war wipes us out long before?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Saw a bunch of school kids marching in support of climate change science yesterday....down on lower State St. Wonder how many of them were there just because that's what all the smart kids did yesterday.....abject belief in what they're told because...you know..."Science!". Was tempted to ask a few why they believe what they believe....had they done their own research into both sides of the argument...could they articulate points on both sides....or were they there because of their belief in all things Scientism.

In my opinion....it's so easy to indoctrinate kids....so much peer pressure...taught to follow / obey authority w/o question.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
...or were they there because of their belief in all things Scientism.
Yeah, instead of being in school, they should just watch youtube videos that explain the real science. That way they can grow up and still live with their parents, while monetizing youtube videos for walking around money, to edumucate the next generation and continue the cycle.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Yet another person that isn't aware the ocean has elevation to it.
Do tell. I'm interested. Can you show me a topographic map of the seas? How much does the elevation vary from "sea level"? Are we talking many hundreds of feet or thousandths of an inch? We know sea level is essentially zero elevation with respect to land elevation.....and sea level is sea level all over the world, yes? And that the surface of every body of water...from your drinking glass to the bathtub to the swimming pool to the lakes...and the oceans....lays level and flat....except when perturbed by wind or earthquakes and the like, right? Maybe you are referring to deltas due to the ocean's tides?

Last edited:

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Yeah, instead of being in school, they should just watch youtube videos that explain the real science. That way they can grow up and still live with their parents, while monetizing youtube videos for walking around money, to edumucate the next generation and continue the cycle.
No...school is valuable too. My BSME has served me well. As has Youtube and every other source of information I can get my hands on.....to explore both sides of any position.....to think thru critically.....using the skills I've learned. My trouble is believing stuff w/o using any of your learned skills....just because...."scientists" made a claim or discovered something. Most everyone is too quick to assume they're being told facts.....and in my opinion....this is the surest way to have the wool pulled over your eyes. Oh...but there's no wool to pull, Bohter.....yea right! Humans never lie....to get what they want....

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Tides themselves are drastic fluctuations in sea level around the world.

Some places, like Hawaii, only have a 2-3 feet between high and low tides.

Where some places in the Northeast USA or Canada have tides that can fluctuate almost 20 feet between high and low.

The decades old tide gauges (some centuries old) average out those tide swings and can see when the absolute highs are slightly higher from years/decades past.

I witnessed storm surge inside Redondo King harbor back in the 83 El Nino (over 36 years ago now), that I doubt has been seen since. Huge surf during the highest tides of the year coincided, and surge was coming up over the walkways way inside King Harbor where the restaurants were inside the inner basin. I don't think thats EVER happened since. But with all the talk of AGW causing increased sea level rise, you'd think we'd see that situation more common than ever by now. Sea levels have only risen a couple inches at best since then. Not the feet or multiple feet predicted back in the late 80's/early 90's we're supposed to be living with now.

Yet here we are again, getting rehashed predictions of 3 feet of sea level rise in ours and our kids lifetimes (2030, 2050, 2100?).

Where is it, and when did it start? If it hasn't started yet, when? Over night in 2099?

Again, I resubmit my bet on it? (tried this almost 20 years ago now, and would've made a killing if anyone took me up on it).
According to predictions back as recent as the 90's we were supposed to see 3 feet of sea level rise by 2020. Many low lying coastal areas would be under water by now. Memories conveniently fade and are forgiven on those claims, because the emotion and political motivation of AGW wins out over facts and actual outcomes.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Do tell. I'm interested. Can you show me a topographic map of the seas? How much does the elevation vary from "sea level"? Are we talking many hundreds of feet or thousandths of an inch? We know sea level is essentially zero elevation with respect to land elevation.....and sea level is sea level all over the world, yes? And that the surface of every body of water...from your drinking glass to the bathtub to the swimming pool to the lakes...and the oceans....lays level and flat....except when perturbed by wind or earthquakes and the like, right? Maybe you are referring to deltas due to the ocean's tides?

So, the oceans are actually getting shallower???

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's not my job to teach you because you're capable of looking it up yourself.

My job is to point out how much of an idiot you are.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Tides themselves are drastic fluctuations in sea level around the world.

Some places, like Hawaii, only have a 2-3 feet between high and low tides.

Where some places in the Northeast USA or Canada have tides that can fluctuate almost 20 feet between high and low.

The decades old tide gauges (some centuries old) average out those tide swings and can see when the absolute highs are slightly higher from years/decades past.

I witnessed storm surge inside Redondo King harbor back in the 83 El Nino (over 36 years ago now), that I doubt has been seen since. Huge surf during the highest tides of the year coincided, and surge was coming up over the walkways way inside King Harbor where the restaurants were inside the inner basin. I don't think thats EVER happened since. But with all the talk of AGW causing increased sea level rise, you'd think we'd see that situation more common than ever by now. Sea levels have only risen a couple inches at best since then. Not the feet or multiple feet predicted back in the late 80's/early 90's we're supposed to be living with now.

Yet here we are again, getting rehashed predictions of 3 feet of sea level rise in ours and our kids lifetimes (2030, 2050, 2100?).

Where is it, and when did it start? If it hasn't started yet, when? Over night in 2099?

Again, I resubmit my bet on it? (tried this almost 20 years ago now, and would've made a killing if anyone took me up on it).
According to predictions back as recent as the 90's we were supposed to see 3 feet of sea level rise by 2020. Many low lying coastal areas would be under water by now. Memories conveniently fade and are forgiven on those claims, because the emotion and political motivation of AGW wins out over facts and actual outcomes.
When I mention sea level i'm referring to zero tide...0' tide is the same with respect to terrain all over the world...yes?
For example....when they opened the Suez Canal between the Red and Med Seas...same level eh.

But it's pretty clear when earlier dire predictions don't come true....and are just replaced with more dire predictions....that long range predictions about the weather and "climate" are still pretty much out of reach. But "politicians" and the like play the public for their minds and money....so not surprising. For me though....the less impact I can make the better....for the earth and everyone else and their kids....and their kids....

Gonna start looking into this topic a bit more....since JKB said I'm capable.....

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
It's not my job to teach you because you're capable of looking it up yourself.

My job is to point out how much of an idiot you are.
We'll isn't that special...you get paid for being a tool....

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
When I mention sea level i'm referring to zero tide...0' tide is the same with respect to terrain all over the world...yes?
For example....when they opened the Suez Canal between the Red and Med Seas...same level eh.

Wrong

From NOAA

Most people are surprised to learn that, just as the surface of the Earth is not flat, the surface of the ocean is not flat, and that the surface of the sea changes at different rates around the globe. For instance, the absolute water level height is higher along the West Coast of the United States than the East Coast.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Wrong

From NOAA

Most people are surprised to learn that, just as the surface of the Earth is not flat, the surface of the ocean is not flat, and that the surface of the sea changes at different rates around the globe. For instance, the absolute water level height is higher along the West Coast of the United States than the East Coast.
By how much....show us the data.....
BTW....no curvature exists that supports a 3959 mile r....but that's another topic... &.you'll never witness it.