Recs for visiting Bali in October

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Looking like family may take trip in October. We have a 4 year old daughter that loves water and beach but not quite into riding waves yet. Looking for recommendations for family-friendly places. Have been to Indo but never Bali. Looking for places whole family will enjoy without dad disappearing whole day(s) to chase waves all over island. Been reading up on various spots on East Coast. Please reply or send message with suggestions or places to avoid.

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Hi - thanks for feedback. Slightly different topic. Right now comparing costs of traveling with boards vs. buying on island and selling at end of trip. Looks like I can buy same board I would bring (6'3 Pyzel Ghost) and save a lot of hassles. Is this as straightforward as it seems?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi - thanks for feedback. Slightly different topic. Right now comparing costs of traveling with boards vs. buying on island and selling at end of trip. Looks like I can buy same board I would bring (6'3 Pyzel Ghost) and save a lot of hassles. Is this as straightforward as it seems?
Super easy to find my boards over there and I personally recommend Drifter Surf, Flying Tiger, or White Monkey (all in the Padang Padang area of the Bukit) or any Rip Curl shop in Bali as well. Boards are a bit less expensive there based on U.S. dollar exchange rate too. They are all made with Aussie foam and highest level materials (including REAL Futures or FCS fin systems).

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I've bought three of Jon's boards in Bali. All high-quality jobs, and glassed to survive the waves you'll surf there. Can't go wrong! I don't know if getting a ghost in October is the right call though, you might be happier on a Pyzalien or Phantom.

Jan 30, 2006
central coast
I just got back from Bali today. I stayed in the Uluwatu zone for 10 days. I flew on Kong Kong airline, took three boards 5’9, 6’0 & 6’2..was charged $300 each way for over size & over weight board bag...I stoped by Drifter in uluwatu..awesome selection of boards that we don’t see here in the US..but they are pretty pricy $700 on up...across the street is the Channel Islands shop..they have a bunch of super fresh boards in mand different models and sizes. All the PU boards were $580..

There are also a ton of surf shops in that area with more used boards in every shape and style you can think of. There is also a ...Lost shop up the hill and a Board Lab(?) with a ton of boards also..

I rode all three boards while there..I had two swells that produced some well overhead waves and I wanted a legit step up..but I rode the 6’0 most days..I think you would be safe going with no boards and picking one up while you are there...grab a scooter and go hunting...

I must say Drifter has some Gary McNeil boards that I have never seen in real life...if you go check them out bring a towel to wipe up all the drool I left!!

Hope you score!

kai kane

OTF status
May 15, 2003
pacific
Thanks for feedback! We leave in a week and decided to pick up board on arrival. Hard to swallow the board fees and risk of damage.

Reactions: diro

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for feedback! We leave in a week and decided to pick up board on arrival. Hard to swallow the board fees and risk of damage.
Just FYI-- Drifter is more of a speciality board shop, so every one of my boards that they carry has something extra going on- color sprays, 5-fin set ups, tints, channel bottoms, etc. thus the higher prices. If you are chasing the best pricing and happy with basic clear boards in the Uluwatu/Padang Padang area then Flying Tiger, Rip Curl and White Monkey (all 3 of these shops are less then 1/2 mile apart) would be your best bets as they all have different sizes/models of my boards in stock. The pricing is comparable to CI and I obviously vouch for the top-quality of the shapes/materials. I get nothing but great feedback about the boards we build in Bali.