Foil Session Logs

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Surfed a normal board for 4 sessions. I was feeling unfulfilled. I foiled today at a wave I typically don't like foiling. But the tide was super high today and it was 2-3 feet. Nailed 4 2for1's almost immediately. My pump was on point today. 2018 Naish Thrust still working for me. Gonna keep telling myself that and ride it til it breaks.

Reactions: Topmick

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Surfed a normal board for 4 sessions. I was feeling unfulfilled. I foiled today at a wave I typically don't like foiling. But the tide was super high today and it was 2-3 feet. Nailed 4 2for1's almost immediately. My pump was on point today. 2018 Naish Thrust still working for me. Gonna keep telling myself that and ride it til it breaks.
foiled my first week of my trip then was forced by the swell to surf the second week, took 10 sessions in reasonably powerful waves to get my swing back to maybe 85% on a performance board, had to force myself to move my back foot back over and over, did some decent turns and got a nice glassy sunrise double up french barrel last day so was pretty pleased to be able to surf again after 5 months of foil only.
now i'm home i'll only surf the bigger days, small wave surfing is obsolete in my opinion at my age.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Rode the new axis setup. feels a lot more stable and smooth relative to the naish I was using. No breach take offs, my m.o. only one when I switched w Grendel and tried his mfc setup. Same weight as the naish 2018 since the axis mast and fuse is so bulletproof. The carbon foam core wing is way lighter and I noticed the positive buoyancy when I put it in the water.

Reactions: sozzle and Topmick

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Setup the SoloShot and went to the secret spot today. Since I went to the trouble to show my brother the session you guys might as well see it too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i saw that.on youtube today too...thought it was the surfline cam...shoot...setupnthat thing at the lifeguards tower footagebwould be cool....

do you recommend soloshot?...thinking about either a soloshot or windwing for the next toy

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
i saw that.on youtube today too...thought it was the surfline cam...shoot...setupnthat thing at the lifeguards tower footagebwould be cool....

do you recommend soloshot?...thinking about either a soloshot or windwing for the next toy
Yeah it’s Surfline cam rewind. The joke was it’s a secret spot and no cameras allowed type of place.

Met Sven out there. And another guy was in a hat and on a lift foil when I first paddled out. But he went in right after I got there saying he’d been out a bunch already.

Gotta love surfing Malibu and only going left. Goofy foot goals.
From everything I’ve read and heard on podcasts. No I don’t recommend the solo shot. Never used one myself though. Get the hand kite. I wanna see one in person. Then we’ll do county to Zuma downwinders.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Used the 900 wing for the first time yesterday, the axis rig for the only the second time. Still very smooth. Didn't feel like the flatter ha wing was twitchy like my past setup. The tips have some anhedral curve to them so maybe this helps. Not flat like the albatross, but I'm not turning w the tips out either.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Used the 900 wing for the first time yesterday, the axis rig for the only the second time. Still very smooth. Didn't feel like the flatter ha wing was twitchy like my past setup. The tips have some anhedral curve to them so maybe this helps. Not flat like the albatross, but I'm not turning w the tips out either.
My mate & I bought 900,s about 3 months ago - both really stoked with our wings. I'm finding the 900 just gets better every session & if you keep the speed up has heaps of pump - grunt.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Third session on the MFC 1400,
Lift Glide 200 is feeling pretty good. Here's one little combo from today.
Dang Hdip! How shallow does it get as you go off screen? looks like you're up on the beach!

Third session on the MFC 1400 wing today. Not as quick as the 1250, but still wraps tight at speed and pumps well out the back. Gonna try swapping between wings tomorrow to feel the real difference.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
it gets deeper as he goes off screen..
theres a deep channel...the shallow spot where the wave is crumbling is a pile of rocks...plus hes at high tide...weve found the general rule at 1st point is 4ft tide and higher...the higher the better but 4ft is the lower limit...and GO Left!...

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Third session on the MFC 1400,

Dang Hdip! How shallow does it get as you go off screen? looks like you're up on the beach!

Third session on the MFC 1400 wing today. Not as quick as the 1250, but still wraps tight at speed and pumps well out the back. Gonna try swapping between wings tomorrow to feel the real difference.
yeah it’s a weird spot. Shallowest where you take off. You’re running into the path the river breached last year so there is just enough depth. At that size you have to stand on the bottom when the wave is coming if you bottom out and dry Dock on your wing. You can actually go along the beach about ten feet from shore as there’s a small trench there.

what does the 1400 do better than the 12?

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
24 waves in an hour and a half today. Nothing super special but here's a video. First wave I really flirted with the shoreline, BUT I threw spray on the double dip attempt. I think that's my first wing out turn. 2nd wave another guy attempts a f/s strapped air. I'm getting the pump rhythm of the lift 200 better. I still breech when I lose focus though and mistime the backwash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Opted to wait for the tide to cross the peak today and was greeted with smooth conditions as I paddled out. Had a little trouble deciding whether to run the stealth or the albatross. With the mix of swells figured the stealth would be a better call, the albatross feels all over the place with any cross currents.

It was the right call, with the swells wedging together at times there was quite a bit of turbulence on takeoff. The stealth cut right through it, on any other wing I would be breaching. Out on the face you can crank the wing as hard as you want, really had fun today working on cutbacks. Even had a couple good pumps back to the takeoff spot, surfed too far inside most of the time to double dip.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Opted to wait for the tide to cross the peak today and was greeted with smooth conditions as I paddled out. Had a little trouble deciding whether to run the stealth or the albatross. With the mix of swells figured the stealth would be a better call, the albatross feels all over the place with any cross currents.

It was the right call, with the swells wedging together at times there was quite a bit of turbulence on takeoff. The stealth cut right through it, on any other wing I would be breaching. Out on the face you can crank the wing as hard as you want, really had fun today working on cutbacks. Even had a couple good pumps back to the takeoff spot, surfed too far inside most of the time to double dip.

are you fully into the stealth? is it 'the one'?

Reactions: grendel95