A realistic perspective on how to fix Climate Change...

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
a tenured professor that teaches....Southern Studies

do you think her course material in a Southern Studies includes coverage of gourds?

writing a paper does not mean her students are being inculcated with this inanity.

conflating things like 'white privilege' and 'toxic masculinity' with absurd and esoteric
concepts like the pumpkin entertainment complex and its inherent whiteness is a bit
disingenuous....unless you want to argue that white privilege, as a concept, is as credible
an idea as the patriarchal influence on glaciology.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had nutty teachers in the 80s and 90s before this current SJW trend.

Most were smart and reasonable.

I would say the same goes for now.

We just need the economy to crash to cool the jets of these outliers.

The crash in 2007 really governed this stuff.

Giving money to programs is a way to keep it from teachers and there is lots of money to keep away.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The “whiteness in pumpkins” author is a tenured professor at UNC Chapel Hill. Hardly weird or obscure. Many of these academics have huge audiences.

I remember having discussions about “white privilege” at UCSC almost 20 years ago in Gen Ed intro humanities courses. This and other terms such as “toxic masculinity” and “privilege checking” came from those exact types of journals. So the idea that these ideas are restricted to obscure journals and gender studies programs, and never make their way into mainstream discourse, is absolutely false.

Right wing nut jobs with huge followings is a huge issue, but at least they don’t have the legitimacy of an academic veneer to back up their ideas.
Distinguished Professor of Southern Studies at the University of North Carolina, have just released an essay in a peer-reviewed journal that offers an analysis of race relations in America today.

The title of their paper? “The Perilous Whiteness of Pumpkins.” Seriously.
Ahh yes, the legitimacy of academic veneer...from someone who studies...shrimp and grits? The decline in the quality of SEC Nation now that ESPN told NASCAR to FOAD but inexplicably didn't send Marty Smith off as part of the deal? How many times you have to say "Alabama" before you go Paul Finebaum level bald?

Nuking the hurricane and Yoda-Jedi-XWing-levitation-praying the hurricane away made it into mainstream discourse...AND WAS PROMPTLY CONSIDERED COMPLETELY FUCKING POTATO RETARDED OMFG SOMEONE PRAY FOR BOTH OF THESE IMBECILES TO GET NUKED.

I am going to assume you were most offended by the part where the paper went in hard on pumpkin spice lattes? Show us where, on the pumpkin spice latte, the idea restricted to obscure journals and gender studies programs except when it makes it's way to mainstream discourse and is promptly laughed out of the room touched you.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The “whiteness in pumpkins” author is a tenured professor at UNC Chapel Hill. Hardly weird or obscure. Many of these academics have huge audiences.
Taylor Swift is not obscure. Tom Brady is not obscure. A Southern Studies Professor at a University is both weird and obscure. It's basically one level above "Igloo Architecture by the Sonoran Hopi" levels of relevant.

Reactions: bird.LA

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
These papers are representative of a framework for studying society known as "critical theory" (hilariously it's the opposite of critical thinking). It provides a way to problematize everything in society, even pumpkins. It creates a bunch of hammers looking for oppression nails who for whatever reason tend to end up in HR & admin and end endlessly rake people over the coals with their stupid trainings. It's also prevalent in humanities/social science departments - it's why mainstream criticism is so godawful these days. Critics either count the number of people of color in the cast to determine the worth of a film or find bogeymen to be oppressed by (Sticks & Stones). It's a lot easier than actually thinking.

Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my sense is that it will continue to be pushed to its absurd ends
and in doing so society will collectively decided to just buck up
and carry on.

no one has the energy or will to contort themselves to this madness
in day to day life; I'm just trying to get dinner on the table and the kids
to fkn soccer practice.

I see the perpetually outraged on the socials and after a while they
tend to either run out of steam or lose their audience

Reactions: FecalFace

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
The left goes after the left more than the right goes after the right.

Same Harris made a great point about why he went after the left after listeners to his podcast gave him sh!t.

Here it is. At the 33 minute point.

Okay I just listened to the whole thing, it wasn't easy.

While he's right about Trump, he's still largely downplaying and in some cases straight up excusing his and far right behavior.

First, in his threat level assessment, he's singling out the white nationalists while ignoring the rest of the alt-right goons who comprise the majority of the far-right movement.

He is right, the threat from the white nationalists though repulsive, is negligible.
But he failed to mention the whole bunch of violent racist, phobes and bigots that comprise the alt-right. I guess he didn't want to insult his audience?

What about tens of thousands of people who screeched "send her back" at Trumps rallies?
How can a movement that has support from the White House be less of a threat than a few lefties writing nonsensical papers that affect only academia?

Second, he's downplaying the significance and scale of the alt-right and Trump's bigotry... Big time.

He claims that the left "lied" about Trump excusing racist behavior when he refered to Charlottesville protests as "good people on both sides" because he condemned the white nationalists.
He claimed that by "good people" Trump didn't mean white nationalists but the "good" people who came out to wave Confederate flags and protest statue removal. Harris is straight up excusing racism and Trump's failure to address it.

Lastly, while he's correctly assessing that Trump is a racist, he thinks that it was not wrong to tell Omar "to go back where she came from" - the oldest racist trope in history- because she was actually an immigrant. Never mind her being an American Citizen and a member of Congress who just happens to be black.

He thinks Trump was wrong to tell only 3 out of 4 women to go back because they were born here. Not wrong about Omar because she's a naturalized citizen. This is straight up giving a nod to the xenophobic portion of his audience.

Harris is pandering to both far right and left big time and thinks that that somehow makes him fair and neutral, which is absolute nonsense.

There are huge holes in his reasoning, just like with JP, Shapiro and other incels.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If these ideas were self funded and restricted to private libtarts colleges, fine. But you don’t see a problem with tax payer dollars supporting this research and paying the salaries of these dingdongs?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Taylor Swift is not obscure. Tom Brady is not obscure. A Southern Studies Professor at a University is both weird and obscure. It's basically one level above "Igloo Architecture by the Sonoran Hopi" levels of relevant.
Yet she is somehow relevant enough to UNC to demand $145k/year in compensation.
Show us where, on the pumpkin spice latte, idea restricted to obscure journals and gender studies programs except when it makes it's way to mainstream discourse and is promptly laughed out of the room touched you.
:ROFLMAO:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If these ideas were self funded and restricted to private libtarts colleges, fine. But you don’t see a problem with tax payer dollars supporting this research and paying the salaries of these dingdongs?
if and when public funds are being used, yes, I find that to be a poor use of tax dollars.

to the extent that this type of stuff is being funded by tuition and is being pursued in
the name of tenure-seeking professors looking to pad their published article count, you
can put me in the DGAF column.

I'm not sure I've seen any information in this thread that clearly states that this tripe is
being funded by the former and not the latter.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So I take it that anyone on the Right with a big social media following, who partakes in speaking events at colleges, is part of the Alt Right?
Never mind that Shapiro and JP have publicly denounced the Alt Right on numerous occasions.

What exactly is the distinction between an Alt righter and your garden variety Righwinger? Seems that JP and Shapiro are just the Right.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The professor who wrote the feminist glaciology tripe got $459k in NSF funding.

The fact that tuitions are continuing to rise at astronomical rates to pay for tenure jockey profs to write this tripe, instead of having them teach actual classes while hiring hairy palmed lecturers like Autoptax for a fraction of the cost to teach in their place, is an embarrassment to academia.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I think you forgot the study on feminist glaciology, where the field of glaciology is inherently sexist. Only by embracing indigenous ideas on the formation of glaciers can we separate the patriarchy from this field.
You can’t make this stuff up :ROFLMAO:
Also, this study was tax payer funded via the NSF, with the author getting $459k for this “research”
Don't forget the quail on cocaine research that we paid foreign aid for

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
"These sorts of papers generally go uncited"

so we're equating right-wing hacks with very large platforms to obscure academic
papers that have admittedly low/no audience whatsoever.
The right wing "hacks" go uncited as well.

BAD COMPARISON REEEE

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
a tenured professor that teaches....Southern Studies

do you think her course material in a Southern Studies includes coverage of gourds?

writing a paper does not mean her students are being inculcated with this inanity.

conflating things like 'white privilege' and 'toxic masculinity' with absurd and esoteric
concepts like the pumpkin entertainment complex and its inherent whiteness is a bit
disingenuous....unless you want to argue that white privilege, as a concept, is as credible
an idea as the patriarchal influence on glaciology.
Minimize it all you want, but this is your ilk

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
if and when public funds are being used, yes, I find that to be a poor use of tax dollars.

to the extent that this type of stuff is being funded by tuition and is being pursued in
the name of tenure-seeking professors looking to pad their published article count, you
can put me in the DGAF column.

I'm not sure I've seen any information in this thread that clearly states that this tripe is
being funded by the former and not the latter.
All college funding, even at private universities, has a component of public funding. And that component is even larger if you consider federal student aid

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yet she is somehow relevant enough to UNC to demand $145k/year in compensation.
The troll-looking hag from Kentucky who refused to issue marriage licenses was hauling down $85k and I'm pretty sure she couldn't spell gay, much less marriage.

If you're butthurt about the compensation, maybe join their ilk or become a televangelist or political consultant?

I don't see Southern Studies or Pumpkin of Color Liberation:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
So I take it that anyone on the Right with a big social media following, who partakes in speaking events at colleges, is part of the Alt Right?
Never mind that Shapiro and JP have publicly denounced the Alt Right on numerous occasions.

What exactly is the distinction between an Alt righter and your garden variety Righwinger? Seems that JP and Shapiro are just the Right.
They promote the same bigoted tripe.

JP and Shapiro are peddling the same retarded ideas that Proud Bois and others do.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the alt-right worships these kooks?

It's the fact that they're the same that makes them the same.