The Ranch to get public access?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
StinkinHippie said:
If there are any folks with ranch access, I'll gladly trade some days there for some summer days at Mugu. Serious offer.
Hmmmm....
Interesting trade....but not interested in Mugu.....how much would you be willing to pay for a day by boat....assuming you're capable and comfortable with a sometimes sketchy beach launch. FE discussion included at no charge :monkey: .

PS: Y'all seem to have the right attitude re public access....please take the time to make your opinion known to the Gaviota Conservancy and Gaviota Trail Alliance.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Not interested in Mugu? How come?

The week before the XL day, I surfed it with 3 other guys. Over head offshore, perfect barrels.

And the day after the XL day, me and 2 spongers. Firing.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
and there you have it........

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-hollister-ranch-public-access-settlement-20190211-story.html

to be continued.....

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Whats the over/under bet on this one?

I say he signs it and it ends up in the courts for the next 10+ years with no change

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hell, you can walk from 1st Point to the Capitola Wharf at low tide
On one super huge day back in the 1990's I did just that but since I wanted to surf, I just paddled and surfed each break on my way to PP, then after a ride back to Jack's home, just kept getting right after right till I caught that super rare inside right just east of the wharf.

Good times.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
It's private land. Why does everyone need access to it? And yes, public access will absolutely ruin the place. Surfers pretty much ruin everything. Just look at Malibu and the North Shore for examples.

Do the surfer ruin it or the business minded people ruin it...business minded surfers ruined it?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I want public access to John Muir wilderness....roads and picnic tables and bathrooms

this is stupid

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Whats the over/under bet on this one?

I say he signs it and it ends up in the courts for the next 10+ years with no change
$16 billion in the State "rainy day" fund. Why the fuck aren't we using it to turn the Ranch into a State park.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Whether it's open or not, getting in will not equal getting waves at prime spots like rights or littles etc.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I want public access to John Muir wilderness....roads and picnic tables and bathrooms

this is stupid
I am at Glacier Point about a decade ago.

A (German) tourist sees me getting ready to hit the Panorama Trail.

Decides this a a good time to lecture me on what is wrong with National Parks in the USA.

"This road should not end here, it should go to that big waterfall (he points to Nevada Falls) there. Then a good ski resort up that valley (Little Yosemite Valley)."

I can't remember what I said in return or if I just walked away in disbelief.

People and their need/want/desire for easy stuff.......

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I am at Glacier Point about a decade ago.

A (German) tourist sees me getting ready to hit the Panorama Trail.

Decides this a a good time to lecture me on what is wrong with National Parks in the USA.

"This road should not end here, it should go to that big waterfall (he points to Nevada Falls) there. Then a good ski resort up that valley (Little Yosemite Valley)."

I can't remember what I said in return or if I just walked away in disbelief.

People and their need/want/desire for easy stuff.......

DO IT LIKE THEY DO IN EUROPE.

EUROPEANS = SOSPHITICATED.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The ranch is pretty crowded now, even with limited access. Packed on weekends for sure. If you have a golden ticket and the freedom of time you can still score on random Tuesdays or evenings or whatever, but it's getting harder.

If you could just drive out there, every spot will be jammed with guys from SLO to Thousand Oaks all the time. There will be trash on the beach, slashed tires, the whole works.