Has pro surfing progressed at all since the 2011 Quiksilver Pro New York

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
How in the name of all that is holy was that contest the peak of pro surfing?

Let me guess - Allentown 1985 was 2nd best?

Reactions: Ricknj

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
It got good but there were days during that contest when they were doing 2 pump to reverse in knee high waves.
Bobby's rant > Kelly's air, 4 life.
WSL tried the exact same thing at OBSF and it didn't work out too well, but OB would at least be more contestable year after year than NYC.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How in the name of all that is holy was that contest the peak of pro surfing?

Let me guess - Allentown 1985 was 2nd best?
I'm talking about the level of surfing. If you'd like you can take the New York event out of the equation if the East Coast event bothers you and replace it with the 2011-2012 season as a whole. The whole scene along with the level of surfing has seemed to stagnate ever since. In that time period every webcast was a must see. There have been very few flashes since and the best surfing is happening off tour. Ask yourself, which are you looking forward to more: Mason Ho's next edit or the webcast of whatever contest the WSL has coming next.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'm talking about the level of surfing. If you'd like you can take the New York event out of the equation if the East Coast event bothers you and replace it with the 2011-2012 season as a whole. The whole scene along with the level of surfing has seemed to stagnate ever since. In that time period every webcast was a must see. There have been very few flashes since and the best surfing is happening off tour. Ask yourself, which are you looking forward to more: Mason Ho's next edit or the webcast of whatever contest the WSL has coming next.
I find it hard to watch contests that are anything but big waves and/or heaving barrels. Pipe, Teahupoo, Eddie, etc. I find it inspiring to see the pros thrive among the carnage and it's humbling when even they are getting slammed hard. Watching the same air reverse in 2' waves over and over is boring as hell - Justin Matteson beat that horse to death already in the late 90s.

Mason Ho's creativity in unique conditions and interesting waves makes him fun to watch not to mention his bravado in sketchy conditions. Seeing Brazo #142 do Air Reverse #237 in a contest with unremarkable waves... you might as well watch lawn bowling on TV.

I'd rather watch a video rewind of Padang Padang on Surfline than any contest in waves under 6'. To suggest any contest held in small beachbreak is the pinnacle of pro surfing is almost as laughable as comparing Lowers to Honolua.

Reactions: Retropete

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Pro surfing contests are boring unless the waves are good. I do watch them since my cable provider here in Hawaii airs it on their channel for free. If nothing else is on then I'll put it on for background noise.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you don't like pro surfing since 2011 because since then there haven't been any americans (hwy doesn't count) fighting for a title.

As a brazzo, Pro surfing has been pretty dope. lol

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
pro surfing and the big brands are the bane of surfing

I could never understand why anyone who considers surfing an important
part of their life would patronize either with their time or money

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm talking about the level of surfing.
Huh?

Ummmmm...... 2011 was before JJF, Gabby, Felipe, and Italo. The base level of surfing on the WT and CT has gone up bigly.
Regardless of weather you like THIS type of progression, it certainly is progressive.

I have no problem with anyone hating pro surfing and wanting it to end, but your statement just seems incorrect to me.

Reactions: jkb