What Style Surfer Are You?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I know what you mean and like the sentiment; however, style does need to be worked on. Where you place your arms and how you position yourself will help you improve your technique and make you look like a better surfer (if that matters to you). Some people DGAF and that's fine too.
Sure, you should always think about it, and try to do better, just like anything in life... but those with the best style I’d say it comes naturally and evolves from their progression and personal approach / technique. You can improve your style, and it generally happens as you get better, but he most stylish surfers aren’t necessarily the best at any given thing.

Italo Ferreira kills it... but is he as fun to watch as others?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
For the record here, a good quote would be Slater in Proximity...

“KS” said:
I grew up idolizing Tom Curren. I wanted to surf like him. I wanted to hold my arms like him. I did these head snaps and stuff. Then at some point I realized I’m not Tom Curren. I have a different approach. I think differently. And if you’re trying to be someone else, you’re not offering the world what you have.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
For the record here, a good quote would be Slater in Proximity...
Sure, but the average surfer isn't Curren or Slater. Sometimes bad style leads to bad surfing. Me cleaning up my sloppy style =/= me trying to copy somebody else's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc and jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I would describe my style as weak and childlike.

Kyuss King at age 12 come to mind.

I remember the first time I saw myself on video that little sh!t instantly popped into my head.

My "spray" is more like splashes of water 50% of the time. My body movement that of an awkward adolescent.

And yet, I am a 35 year old man.

That turn at 1:36 and 2:46 are the bane of my existence and look pretty pathetically identical to my daily standard to the point it's uncanny.

In pumping waves I do better but who doesn't?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I would describe my style as weak and childlike.

Kyuss King at age 12 come to mind.

I remember the first time I saw myself on video that little sh!t instantly popped into my head.

My "spray" is more like splashes of water 50% of the time. My body movement that of an awkward adolescent.

And yet, I am a 35 year old man.

That turn at 1:36 and 2:46 are the bane of my existence and look pretty pathetically identical to my daily standard to the point it's uncanny.

In pumping waves I do better but who doesn't?
Fuck, I do those little wimpy tail slides all the time. Feels like the right thing to do in the moment but then after I always think why didn’t you just try to carve it like an adult should?!?

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour