Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
That has nothing to do with the photo that created some comic relief to the depressing tone of this thread. What were your family member names who were on the boat, if you don't mind, and how were you related? If you don't live in town, I will be happy to put some flowers at the memorial for them with a note, and send you a photo in a PM or email.
That comic relief sucks balls champ. Sorry.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ A newish co-worker died on the boat, and this stuff is going down in my backyard. I wouldn't use that to win an internet argument or make a point or gain sympathy. If you are going through something like this with family or friends and are overly-sensitive in the moment, you probably shouldn't be reading this forum until you aren't. Anyone who's been here inside of a week knows that. The context of the pic seemed to stem from what seems to be a silly theory that this frankenstien looking thing on a twitter post was actually a person. Skully's pic was also spot on, as was the stick figure. Welcome to the surfer magazine forum.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Yeah, I'm a "new guy" on this forum:ROFLMAO:
I just think a little sensitivity might be in order....You never know who's reading the threads.
All of the "scarecrow" pics are just as bad.
Carry on....have fun.

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah. You fucking n00b5 need to lighten up. This is the internetz!!!

skullver

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 28, 2010
the tube
I can't help but feel sorry, making fun of a situation like this. I can't imagine how miserable your life must be to somehow find and post idiotic gif and mems just vying for some sort of internet attention. This is the internet...exactly. My next efforts will be to develop an app that I can reach out and knock your teeth out via wifi.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sorry to hear Underscore. I've lost some very close people to me in tragic ways. Feels shitty. Just let it feel shitty. There are no answers or things to say to make it better.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
+1 on what Duffy said.

Cappello is a well-known shark. Of course, the minute this all hit the news, lawyers for miles around got stiffies over the money about to be made suing Truth Aquatics, the NPS, each individual on the boat, the boat manufacturer, the manufacturer of each piece of equipment on the boat, the SB Harbor Patrol, and anybody else they could think of.
He’s more than just a shark.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
^^ A newish co-worker died on the boat, and this stuff is going down in my backyard. I wouldn't use that to win an internet argument or make a point or gain sympathy. If you are going through something like this with family or friends and are overly-sensitive in the moment, you probably shouldn't be reading this forum until you aren't. Anyone who's been here inside of a week knows that. The context of the pic seemed to stem from what seems to be a silly theory that this frankenstien looking thing on a twitter post was actually a person. Skully's pic was also spot on, as was the stick figure. Welcome to the surfer magazine forum.
I apologize for my reply. It isn't my place to tell others how to grieve or handle loss during tragedy.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
FWIW I was making fun of the people who posted the photo and thinking it was something that it’s not. Not the accident or the victims. Apologies to anyone it may have offended.

Reactions: rts265

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I'd chalk it up to Gallows Humor.
It can often be helpful in processing during challenging times.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
RIP

This was a particularly horrific accident. Has the cause actually been identified yet? Rumors it was started by a cell phone charger?

There were a lot of people packed in on what to me is not a very big boat.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The thing that gets to me is the amount of people on this boat.

35 people seems like a huge amount for a boat that size.

I could understand something like this over in Indo. A bargain 3rd world surf charter out of Padang to the Mentawaiis.

I have had friends who have come close to floundering on boat indo trips.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Had friends who did a boat trip out of Padang on a big Cat. On the way out, one of the Ama escape hatches blew out. the thing almost sank, they got it back to harbor. Spent most of their trip in Padang
while it was repaired. 3rd world.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
35 people seems like a huge amount for a boat that size.
Also with 35 people down below you'd think at least a few would be awake at any given moment through the night. Hard to believe 35 peeps (who don't regularly sleep on boats) are all snoozing away. Had to be steady stream of people using the potty, or up getting a snack. I've rented vacation homes with way less than 35 and it always seemed like someone was up.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Fvck me running.

I look at the past and how gun powder was treated on warships 100 years older than this incident.

Oxygen. A spark. A chinese cell phone spark. You carry death in your pocket.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Unsafe design that meets regs
The news reports say that the boat met all safety regs. I saw a sketch of the layout and it showed that there were 2 exits, but both went through the galley.
On a boat that size, with so many beds below, it is hard to understand why safety regs don't require an emergency exit near the bow of the boat as well.
Maybe this tragedy will lead to an update in marine safety regs for commercial vessels carrying so many passengers.