Boat fire Santa Cruz Island

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I had family on the boat.
That has nothing to do with the photo that created some comic relief to the depressing tone of this thread. What were your family member names who were on the boat, if you don't mind, and how were you related? If you don't live in town, I will be happy to put some flowers at the memorial for them with a note, and send you a photo in a PM or email.

Buoy_maker

OTF status
Feb 20, 2017
If you want to do something, donate to the Red Cross. I’ve been at the family center for four days now.

That has nothing to do with the photo that created some comic relief to the depressing tone of this thread. What were your family member names who were on the boat, if you don't mind, and how were you related? If you don't live in town, I will be happy to put some flowers at the memorial for them with a note, and send you a photo in a PM or email.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Here come the lawsuits

I really don’t see any benefit to suing Truth Aquatics out of existence. That’s what will happen if it’s allowed to. They will cease to exist, lawyers will make a bunch of money and 34 people will still be dead.

The people who own and operate Truth Aquatics are good people to the core.

Accidents happen, sometimes they are horribly tragic. I see no point in punishing someone for this (obviously depending on what actually caused this).

Let the investigators investigate.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ I agree. You obviously know their reputation. If they folded, I am not confident that a better operation could replace them.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I have friends and coworkers that have been on that boat (and the the other two TA boats) many times and they say they have/had complete confidence in those boats and crew. Both escapes from the bunks go up through the galley so if the galley was engulfed.....

I really hope that the investigation shows that it was some unavoidable accident that caused it; failed weld on a piece of equipment, or something that had passed all safety inspections, etc.

So sad for all.

Jul 26, 2019
yeah 34 years they were in business and were well loved by all that took their trips...and one accident can ruin them etc? not fair

fuck lawyers

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I really don’t see any benefit to suing Truth Aquatics out of existence. That’s what will happen if it’s allowed to. They will cease to exist, lawyers will make a bunch of money and 34 people will still be dead.

Accidents happen, sometimes they are horribly tragic. I see no point in punishing someone for this (obviously depending on what actually caused this).

This +1

The investigation hasn't even really started yet and they're already getting sued? Fcking bs is what that is.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
BTW, buoy_maker, I'm sorry for your loss and what you're going through

I can't even imagine it. :(

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018

You did not read story. Boat owner filed lawsuit. Not yet the families of victims.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Oops, I didn't read the article. My bad. No one has yet to bring a suit against the boat owners.

Can't imagine it'll take long though. From the article:

"Attorney A. Barry Cappello, who is in discussions with another firm to represent family members of the Conception victims in court, said there's a strong case to show negligence in the boat fire and that good lawyers can find a way around the admiralty law in federal court.

Cappello recently prevailed in a case in which a company that rented a paddleboard to a man who drowned in Santa Barbara Harbor had asserted the liability protection. A judge ruled the admiralty law didn't extend to such crafts, though the company has appealed."

Sh!t yeah I'd try to limit my liability against suits like that.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Oops, I didn't read the article. My bad. No one has yet to bring a suit against the boat owners.

Can't imagine it'll take long though. From the article:

"Attorney A. Barry Cappello, who is in discussions with another firm to represent family members of the Conception victims in court, said there's a strong case to show negligence in the boat fire and that good lawyers can find a way around the admiralty law in federal court.

Cappello recently prevailed in a case in which a company that rented a paddleboard to a man who drowned in Santa Barbara Harbor had asserted the liability protection. A judge ruled the admiralty law didn't extend to such crafts, though the company has appealed."

Sh!t yeah I'd try to limit my liability against suits like that.
Cappello is gnarly. Not a man to fuckk with.

If he’s up against you, settle.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
First sentence.
"The owners of the dive boat where 34 people perished in a fire off Southern California filed a lawsuit Thursday"

I guess you did not make 2nd grade.
This is the first sentence from your link...

At least eight people were killed and authorities fear the death toll could be as high as 34, after a diving boat caught fire Monday morning off the coast of Santa Cruz Island, north of Los Angeles, officials said.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
+1 on what Duffy said.

Cappello is a well-known shark. Of course, the minute this all hit the news, lawyers for miles around got stiffies over the money about to be made suing Truth Aquatics, the NPS, each individual on the boat, the boat manufacturer, the manufacturer of each piece of equipment on the boat, the SB Harbor Patrol, and anybody else they could think of.