Pacific Coast, Colombia - December/Early January

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone ever been to Colombia's Pacific coast? Any recommendations? I've been looking near Buenaventura

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Never been, did some research, largely undeveloped difficult to access, possibly not the best swell exposure. Probably uncrowded. Give it a shot, should be an adventure and might find something.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You need time - lots of it - and a boat. It's like the Amazon but perhaps less populated. Total jungle. There are no roads. Lots of narcotrafficking. Lots of rivermouths. They AGC runs things there. Some people may not like you poking around. Residents are mostly black and/or indigenous - hope you speak Spanish or whatever variation they're speaking. I would be very careful and have very low expectations.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
You need time - lots of it - and a boat. It's like the Amazon but perhaps less populated. Total jungle. There are no roads. Lots of narcotrafficking. Lots of rivermouths. They AGC runs things there. Some people may not like you poking around. Residents are mostly black and/or indigenous - hope you speak Spanish or whatever variation they're speaking. I would be very careful and have very low expectations.
When did you go there? I thought the AGC didn't exist anymore..

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When did you go there?
This is per family in Colombia and per lots of research I've done on surf prospects in the Pacific.

I thought the AGC didn't exist anymore..
They are operating throughout that area of the country.

Probably some FARC dissidents and ELN too.

But from what I understand AGC is the main operator in that zone.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is a couple of surf camps there.

I almost went but got taken out of the game.

Going by caca's description that sounds like a fun trip.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A really good adventure if you want to venture beyond the surf camp scene and know what you're doing.

Also, my wife's cousin told me there is only one bank on the entire coast where foreigners can make a withdrawal or use a debit card. So you'll need to travel with cash.

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone been to Buenaventura/the coast near there?