Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
scarecrow def needs some push compared to GX or Flare. GX round, Blindspot or CX all need a little less push to come alive IMO.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looks like a Scarecrow or one of his other HP models. GXRP would be a bit fuller nose/tail I reckon. Also the GXRP usually has more of a pin vs. the round/thumb tail this one has.

Doesn't look like too much rocker (although it's always hard to really be sure just from pics).

Love the look of it myself. And the price.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I think I know the answer to this but I'm curious for input. I usually ride 31-32L for my grovelers and DD short boards, I have some smaller boards that work when there's push but I also have to be on it/in shape.

Anyways, there's a 5'7" x 20" x 2 3/8" 30L ish groveley twinzer on CL around here that's pretty tempting, but I feel like it's just a little too small and won't be that fun. I'll primarily be using for summer conditions in north county SD. Will the low rocker offset the size difference? I'm leaning towards.... it might not be the greatest groveler for my size (185lbs).

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
sd_101 said:
Just put in an order for a flare finally - Did Tim's prices get cheaper in the last year? I remember paying more for latest GX w/o color than I just got quoted for a flare with paint. Either way looking forward to adding this one to the quiver. Tim and he whole operation deserves all the praise he gets
I swear tim factors intangible items into pricing that is favorable to his customers. I’ve never paid the same price per board but the price paid was always lower than expected and way better than OTR for a dialed in custom. My last order was a touch more than the one prior but the one prior literally had me wanting to pay more, I couldn’t understand how he was making a profit.
Yea Im tripping, I think I just got the best deal ever on a surfboard - PU/PE Flare with 4/4/4/ S Glass all around - tail fiber, full board paint and a five fin setup, and its the cheapest custom Ive ever been quoted - even from Tim. Love it!

DroppingOnYou

Nep status
Feb 16, 2016
Hoarder said:
I think I know the answer to this but I'm curious for input. I usually ride 31-32L for my grovelers and DD short boards, I have some smaller boards that work when there's push but I also have to be on it/in shape.

Anyways, there's a 5'7" x 20" x 2 3/8" 30L ish groveley twinzer on CL around here that's pretty tempting, but I feel like it's just a little too small and won't be that fun. I'll primarily be using for summer conditions in north county SD. Will the low rocker offset the size difference? I'm leaning towards.... it might not be the greatest groveler for my size (185lbs).
Get more volume in an alt/fishy shape IMO. I haven't had much success going smaller with them. Always better to have tons of speed to burn in mush.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
DroppingOn said:
Hoarder said:

Get more volume in an alt/fishy shape IMO. I haven't had much success going smaller with them. Always better to have tons of speed to burn in mush.
Yeah honestly if it was your normal volume I would say go for it if it's a good deal but going down in volume for a groveler hasn't worked out for me in the past.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing, but I also have a craigslist deal addiction, so it was hard to resist.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ran into this dude Cyrus today at a jetty parking lot. He saw my stamps and got all stoked, ran and grabbed a couple of his own. I recognized the boards from one of tims recent instagram pics of a grey 3 board EPS quiver. He offered up the banjo fish for a demo so myself and a good buddy each took it for a spin. It was only a 5-5 so it felt a little undersized to me but I really liked it. Felt like it had a little more rocker than the TKF and definitely had more of a turny outline. Plenty of fishy drive but was a bit more capable in the pocket and above the lip. My buddy was frothing on the thing and surfing it really well.

I shouldn't even be thinking what I'm thinking.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm sure he could do epoxy over PU. I think his outsources his epoxy work but whoever does it does great work.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
My local surf shop up here on the Oregon coast recently hooked up with Tim, first load of boards from him due in a week or so, a mix of customs for the surf shop crew. My order is already in for the next batch.
Tim lived in Bend Oregon at one time, know's the waves we surf, he's gonna get a lot of biz from us.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
nimby said:
My local surf shop up here on the Oregon coast....
I heard that Moment was getting some of his boards and they might of been being glassed up here too? Now I can ride one without looking like a CA guy :D Will be interesting to hear some feedback. What'd ya get?

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
SeaFoamGreen said:
nimby said:
My local surf shop up here on the Oregon coast....
I heard that Moment was getting some of his boards and they might of been being glassed up here too? Now I can ride one without looking like a CA guy :D Will be interesting to hear some feedback. What'd ya get?
yea, Jeff and the crew getting first batch. Boards being glassed down in SoCal from his usual. Ordering a 5 fin speed egg.
Only a few decent glassers in this whole state, Murdey being a good one and only glasses for himself these days.
Both Lopez and Art at North Pacific routinely go through hoops trying to find reliable glassers, recruit them from HI, SoCal, train a local..none last, all eventually hit the road.
Don't matter where you boards are glassed, not in this state, where when you discuss rocker and glassing schedules with the average surfer their eyes glaze over and roll back in their heads..