**BONZER THREAD 2014**

Apr 25, 2016
Resurrection of this thread to show my new toy - 6'2" Russ Short model.

Those bottoms curves.....

Ridden a few times, all under head high, mix of point breaks and beach breaks. Still getting the fin placement right, but plenty fast! Loves driving through a cutback, but feels stiff off the top, and I think that the outline is the reason for this. Would love to try a more modern shape in the bonzer set up.....(one day maybe!) Will definitely be getting pulled out for some decent swell though.

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
Straighty said:

Ridden a few times, all under head high, mix of point breaks and beach breaks. Still getting the fin placement right, but plenty fast! Loves driving through a cutback, but feels stiff off the top, and I think that the outline is the reason for this. Would love to try a more modern shape in the bonzer set up.....(one day maybe!) Will definitely be getting pulled out for some decent swell though.
Wow!! Beauty...

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Straighty said:

hell yes! that's a beautiful board!

i really ought to take a few minutes & gather my girls up for a group shot as i recently picked up 3 freshies from malcolm, a 5'6" mini b5, 6'1" mini merk, & a 6'4" shelter. only ridden the mini merk so far, & that for just one session, but they all feel fantastic under my arm & hands. mini merk was buttery smooth & fast the one time i've been able to ride it.

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Bman76 said:
FresnoRipper said:

Octafish

AO Twin

Pod
Hey Fresno - what size is that pod? How does it compare to your other bonzers? Thanks!
Hey B-Man,

I'm only able to offer a limited rundown. The Pod is 5'10" and was probably my favorite of the bunch for slower, fattish waves. It didn't go rail to rail quite nearly as fast as the Octafish or my AO Twin, but was so smooth and buttery on a slopey burger. Just something about that rocker profile and round tail that made it so much fun to ride.

The Octafish is better suited to the beach breaks I'm usually riding.

I've since sold the Pod to pay for my 7'2" Gibbons widow maker and a deposit on an Egg from Malcolm, 6'6".

:cheers:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
FresnoRipper said:
Bman76 said:
FresnoRipper said:

Octafish

AO Twin

Pod
Hey Fresno - what size is that pod? How does it compare to your other bonzers? Thanks!
Hey B-Man,

I'm only able to offer a limited rundown. The Pod is 5'10" and was probably my favorite of the bunch for slower, fattish waves. It didn't go rail to rail quite nearly as fast as the Octafish or my AO Twin, but was so smooth and buttery on a slopey burger. Just something about that rocker profile and round tail that made it so much fun to ride.

The Octafish is better suited to the beach breaks I'm usually riding.

I've since sold the Pod to pay for my 7'2" Gibbons widow maker and a deposit on an Egg from Malcolm, 6'6".

:cheers:
Cool - thanks for that. Very keen to hear a comparison between the pod and egg. I'm debating which one to get next for a new bonzer fix. :shaka:

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Malcolm emailed me advising my Egg is done. Can't wait to pick it up. Feel like this board will occupy a very empty gap in my quiver. Malcolm and the crew were great to deal with, as always. A true humble gentleman.

6'6" x 21" x 2 9/16"
Poly/PU
Glassed on Bamboo side runners

Groveler

Nep status
Oct 21, 2007
CA
Fresno, that is a great looking board.
Thank you in advance for agreeing to sell it to me when you're done with it :cheers:

FresnoRipper

Michael Peterson status
Aug 25, 2002
Met my buddy at Cardiff this past weekend for a Sunday morning sesh. Was to be the maiden voyage for the Green Egg. Started the good mojo with a kickass wax job, like a European cobblestone road.

Waves were averaging waist to chest high, with some long lulls. Things I expected about this board were that it would paddle like a dream and get me in early and it did not disappoint. I've never had a board at this length so I was uncertain as to how it would perform. First wave was a mediocre left and my mind was blown. The Egg was so maneuverable and loose. I couldn't even believe it. I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it was an amazing feeling. Then I caught a beautiful lined up right. It allowed to me to pick my line, draw it and do a couple turns. Little top turn, weekend warrior cutback. Felt sofa king amazing. Really really happy so far. Can't wait for a mondo SW swell.

Anyway, that is my semi-worthless little review. If I would change anything, I probably could have gone thinner than 2 5\8" but i think as I age it will suit me just fine. Hahaha