Originally Posted By: GWS
lol

The weight thing is not new for me. I have lifted for many decades. So if anything, my technique is degrading due to aging rather than improving. Next we need to reexamine my quote for the word that seems to have been lost.

Quote:
I have a hard time with greater levels of strength coinciding with loss of muscle mass for obvious reasons.

I absolutely agree that strength gains (as measured by resistance training) can be made without gaining appreciable muscle mass. I however have trouble believing you can make strength gains with a concurrent loss of muscle mass.

Generally, you can not make strength gains with a concurrent loss of muscle mass. But there's always a few four leaf clovers out there.

Muscle loss with aging, "sarcopenia" is serious and should be addressed with the sick and aging phenotype. To date we still just call it old age and ignore the health risks associated with it.

Back on topic, current studies are now coalescing around the idea that standard nutritional recommendations are inadequate for adults engaged in regular physical activity or physical training programs. This is particularly true of protein for older adults who exhibit a decreased sensitivity to both dietary protein and general physical activity. Practically, older active adults are not getting enough protein, essential amino acids (EAAs) and branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) as part of their diet. Older adults on a Keto type diet will suffer from this.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.