Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Quote:
Not a direct contradiction I will grant you, but if you read the two studies, the difference in tone from one study to the next is significant.

Agreed. If you were to "follow the money" so to speak, I think you would find biases or at least trends in the views of the various researchers for both studies. Also, not sure if it was clear, but the study I linked compares the results of a ketogenic to a standard diet, with total calories and protein kept the same. Both diets had weight and muscle loss, with more muscle loss recorded in the keto group.

Quote:
Re muscle loss, during this time I have been weight training and my max has increased. I have a hard time with greater levels of strength coinciding with loss of muscle mass for obvious reasons.

Intuitively yes, but It's not unheard of for people to lose muscle mass while dieting but still have their lifts go up. There could also be a energy exertion/lack of tiredness advantage with ketogenic that helps you push out a few extra reps and add some more weight. Or maybe your weight at the start of this thread had a few pounds of post-holiday bloat? I can easily be 5 pounds heavier on a Monday after a rough weekend than I am the following Friday after 4 days of normal eating and exercise.

Again, just throwing out some possible explanations that may or may not apply to you. What I am saying is that if you are correct, your results are far from typical and likely to not be reproduced by most people shrug

Not to mention just getting better at it due to repetition.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.