Quote:
Did you read my previous page link? Peer reviewed study that appears to at least partially contradict your first link. Check it out.

You mean this study confused2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/ with this finding "The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001)"

Not sure how that contradicts, assuming this is the link you mentioned. Weight loss and BMI reduction would be expected with any diet. However what a lot of diet studies do not evaluate are changes in body composition i.e. muscle gain/loss and change in percent body fat. Even if they do, they do not parse out water loss from muscle loss, therefore fat and water get lumped together as "fat free mass".

Which brings me to the finding from the link I posted, which may not be a perfect study and has a small number of participants (17), but at least it was in a metabolic ward with sound methodology:

"Body fat loss slowed during the KD and coincided with increased protein utilization and loss of fat-free mass. "

Therefore I find it it suspect that anyone can lose 5 pounds of fat in 2 weeks, regardless of their diet, without some muscle and/or water loss. I know that you specifically said that you don't think you lost water weight, which may be true, but to not lose some muscle mass with that amount of weight in that time frame would be highly unusual. Most people greatly underestimate muscle loss when dieting/cutting, because anyone with a decent physique would look more ripped after dropping 10-20 pounds, even if a third to half of that was muscle loss.

As for the study I posted, if you listen to the podcast (less than 10 minutes, worth a listen) she does say that upon contacting the researcher, he did say that his findings got lost in translation, and that fat loss potential from exercise was around an ounce/hour. So at best about 1/2 pound a week if you jog for an hour everyday. No thanks drowning Later in the podcast she goes on to say that in her experience and meta analysis of available research, the most fat someone can lose without losing muscle is around 0.5-1 pound/week whether that be from diet and/or exercise.

Quote:
But regardless, in a state of diet induced Ketosis, is not your body being forced to burn fat for fuel? I think the science on that is fairly settled?

Yes, I believe that mechanism is well accepted. However your body will first burn the dietary fat you consume, which is the bulk of your diet when you are ketogenic. If there is a caloric deficit, it will then burn body and/or muscle tissue for energy, although that would happen with any diet in a calorie deficit. Question is will keto allow the body prioritize body fat over muscle tissue while in a deficit confused2 The jury may still be out on that, however the study I posted suggests "No" shrug

You forgot it was STOLEN?!