Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Originally Posted By: hal9000
Losing muscle mass is, at least to me, one of the best arguments AGAINST the keto diet.

Sure, but in fairness you will probably have some muscle loss no matter what type of diet you choose, unless you take it slow shrug

Diet has little to do with muscle mass. It's more of a calorie surplus/deficit thing.

You could do nothing but sit on the couch and eat Pringles and drink Dr Pepper, gain 100 lbs and still see a net gain in muscle mass.

Generally you will never add muscle tissue on a calorie restricted diet. For an obese untrained person there is a small window, but that's it.

I don't think as written the Keto diet allows enough protein for stress recovery. I also think that depending on a persons lipid panel and genetics it could be a very poor choice, again as written.

The very best diet a person could use would be one that measures macro-nutrients, contains whole proteins and saturated fats, and is base lined and minimally adjusted over time depending on measured results. When people tracking this they are usually shocked at how many calories they were actually consuming per day.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.