Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate
Originally Posted By: Gnudz
What the idiots who want this wall to keep immigrants out don't understand is that rather than keeping immigrants out, walls mostly keep immigrants from going back home after they've come here to work.

Before we built a bunch of walls in the 70's, 80's and especially the 90's, immigration was largely circular. Immigrants would come here to work and then go back home, often crossing back and forth multiple times. As barriers on the border made crossings more & more dangerous, immigrant workers stopped going back home and began staying here and bringing their families here.

The wall does nothing to stop immigration (or terrorism, drugs, etc...) as long as we keep paying immigrants to come here. They risk their lives coming here because we as a country keep paying them to come here.

So the idiot racist xenophobes who want this wall to keep foreigners out are really working to keep them from ever leaving once they get here. Sheer stupidity. Frightened and heartless stupidity.

A)Why would Mexicans go back to Mexico by going around (presumably on foot) the border crossing?

B) Why are you assuming that illegal immigrants are all, or mostly Mexicans?

I thought it was pretty clear that since we're discussing the WALL that I was only referencing those immigrants that would be affected by it.

I never said immigrants returned to their home countries via the dangerous cross-country roots, but when they come back to the US to work the jobs we pay them to, they are often forced to take routes that are increasingly dangerous and often deadly. Better not to go back home at all if you risk dying on your way back to work.

When we are talking about immigration on the southern border, the border where Trump wants to build his wall, we are talking about the immigrant labor that said wall would supposedly be a barrier against, no? At no point did I say they were "all, or mostly Mexicans." Most immigration across our southern border lately comes from countries further south than Mexico.

Unpopular opinion: I really hate political parties. I feel like when we call ourselves Democrats or Republicans, we all forget what we are Americans - Americans that love the country and each other. - David Hogg