Originally Posted By: Surfdog
Originally Posted By: StuAzole
Originally Posted By: Surfdog
Originally Posted By: StuAzole
No it’s not. You also aren’t subject to ice as a result of local cooperation.

You have heard of this case, right?

https://www.oyez.org/cases/2004/03-1423

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muehler_v._Mena

California (and cities) Sanctuary laws prevent this from even happening.

The case involved a wanted gang member. CA sanctuary laws specifically carve out gang members and allow local cooperation with ICE. And they had a warrant.

You literally have no clue about this stuff.

BTW, did you read the portion of that case where they acknowledged Mena was, in fact, a legal resident? So for all your crying, you just gave me a case that didn't even involve an illegal alien. Lulz.

__

But let’s try again. Questions about status are just the start. I asked you several times what comes next. So tell me, what comes next, but not when the person is a wanted gang member - because CA laws allow cooperation there already - but an elderly woman who allegedly stole a can of soup from the store?

Once again, ID.

If it's legit, even a expired green card, no problems. Without it, then a notification goes out, if there's indications of non-legal status, that's all it takes (no valid ID, no english). Local police just hold them until INS arrives. INS will sort it out.

Sanctuary laws prevent this.

Everyone of age has some kind of ID on them, even if it's another countries.

Given that the majority of illegals are visa overstays, why would you accept an expired green card here? Would a school ID work? How about a drivers license? Library card? None of those show legal status, but that's what almost everyone would carry.

But I digress. You realize that cops can't just hold people indefinitely, even if they don't have an ID on them and are speaking a foreign language? That's got nothing to do with sanctuary laws.

You realize that if a cop holds someone who's without an ID but turns out to be a legal resident, that's probably going to be a lawsuit against the local jurisdiction, yes? That's got nothing to do with sanctuary laws.

Where do they hold the person? Who pays for it? Costs associated with this have nothing to do with sanctuary laws.

CA's sanctuary laws carve out violent criminals and gang members, which is where the deportation focus should be. If ICE can't currently follow what's going on in CA, they should staff up, starting with violent criminals. The vast majority of illegals aren't a threat to anyone. Local cops aren't immigration cops. Local residents shouldn't front the costs of immigration enforcement.

Bock you