Originally Posted By: Surfdog
OK, there's technicalities for police to do ANYTHING to help the Feds when it comes to immigration, if you want to get all criminal defense lawyery about it (made even more difficult with sanctuary laws). I'll admit part of your argument.

Doesn't seem to matter if a LEGAL citizen breaks a federal law, police hand them over no problem all the time. Illegal immigration is a federal law, why the prejudice against it, specifically? I guess I could demand the same rights if I broke a federal law then, if in local police custody, right?

If it doesn't seem to matter in states without Sanctuary laws, why do some cities and blue states feel the need to have them, if it doesn't really make any difference, legally?

They are basically shutting out or at least handcuffing a federal jurisdiction, using states rights as an argument for it.

When was the last time you heard about local cops busting a tax cheat for the IRS? Would you be ok with Oceanside PD holding you while they waited for IRS input because you couldnt prove you filed you taxes last year? Tax fraud is actually a much more serious crime than being an illegal, which at worst is a misdemeanor.

Sanctuary laws just make it clear that immigration is a federal matter. Its not hard. Hire more ICE agents and let them go ham.

And this entire discussion avoids the simple fact that CA law does in fact allow cooperation for anyone whos accused of a more serious crime or thought to be a gang member. So are you really that spun over local cops not being able to detain and report non-violent individuals?

Bock you