Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Small sample size, but it is a metabolic ward study, therefore the highest standard. No advantage with ketogenic over high carb, and there was more muscle loss with the keto diet https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/324/4564649

Many other high carb vs low carb metabolic ward studies have shown no difference in total weight loss when controlling for total calories.

Controlling total calories is obviously the name of the game, but LCHF diets help to curb calorie cravings because there are less sugar spikes. Obviously replacing things like potatoes with vegetables create great calorie deficits as well.

LCHF diets work really well for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. I'm not really sure why there is so much hate for them. Probably for the same reason why people hate vegans and probably politically motivated

My criticism comes from the keto/low carb types who argue that there is some sort of metabolic hack with keto that supercedes caloric intake. They say idiotic straw man tripe like so 1000 calories of Oreos has the same effect on my health as 1000 calories of salmon and broccoli?! and that you dont need to worry about calories. Then some take it a step further and talk about adding tablespoons of butter and coconut oil into your coffee as a weight loss tool. Its misleading information that does not stand up to scientific scrutiny.
Talking up the indirect benefits, that I mentioned in my very first post on this thread and the same ones that you also mentioned, is legitimate. All of which lead to less calorie intake.
I do agree that there are politics involved in the LCHF hate. The nutrition pyramid was written by grain and dairy councils, which is how we ended up with idiotic recs like 6-11 servings of grain per day and crappy polyunsaturated fats. All of those federally subsidized excess grain and seed crops need a home. Those same industries are also major contributors to the American heart association and several other health related non-profits.
Just like with everything, the truth is somewhere in the middle computer

You forgot it was STOLEN?!