REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996840
08/15/19 11:39 AM
08/15/19 11:39 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
V
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status
VaB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
V

Virginia Beach, VA
wow, so much debate.

To the OP.

I lived in NJ for 3 years. The surf can get very very good but it's rare. The number of surfable days will go down significantly and like someone said earlier, you need to be able to drop and go.

30K/ year is nothing. I would be very careful to look at rent/commuting expenses etc and look at your damn taxes and see how much of that you keep. Run the numbers based on your old taxes b/c you may go up a bracket or two and you may only keep 50-60% of that which makes it 20k at best. Sure 20K is a lot of money but over the course of a year you'll spend it on living in NYC just in coffee and cabs, forget dinner.

if you are going from 100K to 130, maybe a noticeable difference. From 180-210; taxes and living will eat that up.

If the job is amazing, great, do it. Maybe e good experience to live in NYC and see what a real city is like. Surf wise you can make it work but its a struggle. I think its easier if you are from here to motivate to surf cold waves, although Groovn freakin did it to the great white north.

Job- chasing a dream? good opportunity? go for it.
surf: you will surf way less; you may go 1-2 months at a time without surfing
money: probably about a push; consider how much of that you keep.
family/ friends; if young, no big deal.

How much is it going to cost to move and who will pay for that? all things to consider.

good luck

Last edited by VaB; 08/16/19 08:47 AM.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: mundus] #2996841
08/15/19 12:05 PM
08/15/19 12:05 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted by mundus
Something to think about, you could live on the North Jersey coast and take the ferry into work.

Taking the ferry from Highlands is my favorite way to go to the city. Stress free.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996847
08/15/19 12:32 PM
08/15/19 12:32 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
yeah that's a great ferry ride for sure. pricey for a monthly commute, but such a cool way to get to work and back, and literally half the time it takes on the train or bus

But overall, as far as surf, i think long island has more ride-able days than Jerz. both costs have their moments of glory of course, but we get more of that exposure to south windswell events that feed the monkey in between real swell events.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2997201
08/15/19 11:00 PM
08/15/19 11:00 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Ballsack seems to love living / surfing in NY

https://stabmag.com/style/the-stab-interview-balaram-stack/

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: VaB] #2997209
08/15/19 11:29 PM
08/15/19 11:29 PM
LA
B
bird. Online content
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Maybe e good experience to live in NYC and see what a real city is like.

fight

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Waxfoot] #2997219
08/15/19 11:54 PM
08/15/19 11:54 PM
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Probably dropping in on you, C...
Originally Posted by Waxfoot

Originally Posted by Waxfoot

guy fricken rips - been watching his progress over the last couple years especially at Pipe.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2997269
08/16/19 01:46 AM
08/16/19 01:46 AM
Sunny New England
G
glitch Offline
Grom
glitch  Offline
Grom
G

Sunny New England
Originally Posted by CutnSnip
See thats the kind of encouragement Im looking for. Consistency and quality of waves is one thing and I realize Id be giving that up, but I just wanted to know if the temperature with the right equiptment are tolerable for most people.

I dunno who most people are, they probably don't surf, but here's another vote for "holy crap these modern wesuits are amazing". I drifted north a bit further but a hooded 5/4 (with gloves and boots) still keeps me happy. It was a pretty good winter for the northeast, too. The days with steady snow from an overrunning warm front look cool and are usually relatively warm (30s) and not too windy, it's the fook-all cold clear days where it's blowing and 15 that will freeze your ass.

As far as living in Rockaway goes, I think the answer is "don't". I almost rented a place at the very end of the line (Beach 116th) a long time ago--it was a huge house and it would have been the second-cheapest thing I'd ever rented in NYC, but I'd have spent three hours a day on the A train.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Waxfoot] #2997327
08/16/19 05:52 AM
08/16/19 05:52 AM
F
fishtank Offline
Gerry Lopez status
fishtank  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

Except he’s gone for most of the year and doesn’t have to deal with not surfing >90% of the days

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: glitch] #2997438
08/16/19 03:49 PM
08/16/19 03:49 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
Originally Posted by glitch
See thats the kind of encouragement Im looking for. Consistency and quality of waves is one thing and I realize Id be giving that up, but I just wanted to know if the temperature with the right equiptment are tolerable for most people.

I dunno who most people are, they probably don't surf, but here's another vote for "holy crap these modern wesuits are amazing". I drifted north a bit further but a hooded 5/4 (with gloves and boots) still keeps me happy. It was a pretty good winter for the northeast, too. The days with steady snow from an overrunning warm front look cool and are usually relatively warm (30s) and not too windy, it's the fook-all cold clear days where it's blowing and 15 that will freeze your ass.

As far as living in Rockaway goes, I think the answer is "don't". I almost rented a place at the very end of the line (Beach 116th) a long time ago--it was a huge house and it would have been the second-cheapest thing I'd ever rented in NYC, but I'd have spent three hours a day on the A train.

? For those right coast surfers.....
What does the average surfer regardless of height and size wear when h20 temp is around 56 and air is 60?

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: rowjimmytour] #2997476
08/16/19 05:30 PM
08/16/19 05:30 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted by rowjimmytour

? For those right coast surfers.....
What does the average surfer regardless of height and size wear when h20 temp is around 56 and air is 60?

3/2 + booties in Jax Beach; mid-50s is typical Jan/Feb and most of March.

"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: VaB] #2997477
08/16/19 05:38 PM
08/16/19 05:38 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
Originally Posted by VaB
wow, so much debate.

To the OP.

I lived in NJ for 3 years. The surf can get very very good but it's rare. The number of surfable days will go down significantly and like someone said earlier, you need to be able to drop and go.

30K/ year is nothing. I would be very careful to look at rent/commuting expenses etc and look at your damn taxes and see how much of that you keep. Run the numbers based on your old taxes b/c you may go up a bracket or two and you may only keep 50-60% of that which makes it 20k at best. Sure 20K is a lot of money but over the course of a year you'll spend it on living in NYC just in coffee and cabs, forget dinner.

if you are going from 100K to 130, maybe a noticeable difference. From 180-210; taxes and living will eat that up.

If the job is amazing, great, do it. Maybe e good experience to live in NYC and see what a real city is like. Surf wise you can make it work but its a struggle. I think its easier if you are from here to motivate to surf cold waves, although Groovn freakin did it to the great white north.

Job- chasing a dream? good opportunity? go for it.
surf: you will surf way less; you may go 1-2 months at a time without surfing
money: probably about a push; consider how much of that you keep.
family/ friends; if young, no big deal.

How much is it going to cost to move and who will pay for that? all things to consider.

good luck

What VaB said.
I lived in NY in my 20's (early 90's) before I got the job at Surfer. Was super glad I did. Tons of skateboarding. Super fun to bike everywhere in the city. The culture/nightlife is amazing. I wouldn't move there if surfing is way high on your list of life priorities, but you can get your share. Especially if you find a place to keep a car out of the city within easy access of a train so you can jump out to Eastern LI spots. NY has a ton to offer. I didnt' end up staying there - and was glad to get out when I moved after a year. But I was damn glad I did a year there. Now if I had a family and had to live there - that might be another story.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: glitch] #2997481
08/16/19 05:47 PM
08/16/19 05:47 PM
N
nada2looz Offline
Grom
nada2looz  Offline
Grom
N

this. in my experience it's just not consistent enough to justify the daily commute time to and from the beach. unless you really just want to get wet and stay in shape paddling around in junk, there aren't enough 'surfable' days to sit on the train 3 hours a day. there are other things to consider; bigger houses and a different lifestyle than in the city proper but if it's just surfing, i'd say ditch the car, live in the city and jump on the swell when it arrives which isn't weekly..

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2997510
08/16/19 08:13 PM
08/16/19 08:13 PM
L
Ltbiggles Offline
Grom
Ltbiggles  Offline
Grom
L

I would say keep a car. You don’t want to limit yourself to the Rockaways; it’s an f-ing nightmare there.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Ltbiggles] #2997514
08/16/19 08:35 PM
08/16/19 08:35 PM
N
nada2looz Offline
Grom
nada2looz  Offline
Grom
N

Originally Posted by Ltbiggles
I would say keep a car. You don’t want to limit yourself to the Rockaways; it’s an f-ing nightmare there.

a car is a big hassle and expense for surfing once a week if that. renting much cheaper

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2997587
08/17/19 01:58 AM
08/17/19 01:58 AM
M
McHatin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
McHatin  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

I say do it.

Don't worry about (the routine of) surfing taking the back seat for a couple of years. Live your life, make new experiences, further your career, meet some new friends, etc.

And when you are there, don't stress yourself about not being able to get into the water. Don't be a slave to the activity of surfing, especially when you're young/single.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32