REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: GromsDad] #2982978
07/17/19 03:12 PM
07/17/19 03:12 PM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

Originally Posted by GromsDad
There is real life and then there is this thing that is the erBB forum. This place is a joke. Don't take it seriously or personal. I sure don't.

How do you think the Elian Gonzales thing should have been handled?

it's a tricky situation.

It’s like the GZA coming on after U-God
Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: afoaf] #2983081
07/17/19 04:56 PM
07/17/19 04:56 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by afoaf
There is real life and then there is this thing that is the erBB forum. This place is a joke. Don't take it seriously or personal. I sure don't.

it's a tricky situation.

Refresh my memory on it again? Did his dad take him illegally here and his mom was waiting for him in Cuba?

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: everysurfr] #2983086
07/17/19 05:04 PM
07/17/19 05:04 PM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Duke status
Surfdog  Offline
Duke status
S

Oceanside,CA
Originally Posted by everysurfr
Originally Posted by GDaddy
Originally Posted by everysurfr
Many ivy league schools were physically built with slave labor. Those buildings would never have been built if they had to pay a fair wage,at the time. Therefore, they would not exist today

Seriously? How many slaves do you think it took to build those buildings, and who can possibly say they would *never* have been built without that labor costing less than a manual laborer of the day? At the time slavery was the order of the day throughout the world so that is what it is. But to suggest that buildings not built in the 1700s would never have been built when in fact we've built a shit ton of buildings after the Civil War - including virtually all of the South - is just being dumb.

Meanwhile, 625,000 people - mostly men of working age and many of them sending their families into abject poverty - died during the Civil War who wouldn't have died that way had that war not occurred. That lost human productivity is as at least as significant to our outcome as anything that survived the era of slavery in the U.S..

Ok, I'm being dumb, so here comes more.

Harvard university was built with slaves. At that point in time, the handful of pioneers , who made their wealth on slavery, used slaves to build the buildings. So it is correct to say that without slavery, Harvard would not exist.

That is not to say that if slavery never existed, another group of pioneers would not have built a different university with a different source of wealth and labor. It is also not to say that we would not be far richer a country if the civil war never happened.

But that was not the point being discussed.

OK, here's the fix all for all this. The ultimate in Reparations.

Tear down ALL buildings built by slaves and/or their white owners or children, grand-children, great-grandchild and onward since.

Then rebuild them all using illegal immigrant labor.

It would be the economic boom not seen since the post Civil War reconstruction period.

Done. brickstomato

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: Surfdog] #2983088
07/17/19 05:09 PM
07/17/19 05:09 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

[Linked Image]

Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: GDaddy] #2983098
07/17/19 05:15 PM
07/17/19 05:15 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Harvard university was built with slaves. At that point in time, the handful of pioneers , who made their wealth on slavery, used slaves to build the buildings. So it is correct to say that without slavery, Harvard would not exist.

That is not to say that if slavery never existed, another group of pioneers would not have built a different university with a different source of wealth and labor. It is also not to say that we would not be far richer a country if the civil war never happened.

See, I'm thinking that Harvard University the institution existed prior to and after the era during which slave labor was used to build some of the buildings.

So maybe one of the questions in play is how many buildings and how many slaves, and how much of a savings when compared to the use of alternative unskilled labor did Haravard accrue that can be attributed to their use of slave labor? That's the profit they reaped which can be attributed to their use of slave labor.

It's nowhere near nothing, but it's also nowhere near everything.

It’s totally f’n stupid is what it is

The ancient pyramids were built with slaves

The Roman colluseum was built with slaves

Slaves were totally normal in pre modern times

America is not uniquely evil and doesn’t need to apologize

Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: BillyOcean] #2983099
07/17/19 05:16 PM
07/17/19 05:16 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by BillyOcean

See, I'm thinking that Harvard University the institution existed prior to and after the era during which slave labor was used to build some of the buildings.

So maybe one of the questions in play is how many buildings and how many slaves, and how much of a savings when compared to the use of alternative unskilled labor did Haravard accrue that can be attributed to their use of slave labor? That's the profit they reaped which can be attributed to their use of slave labor.

It's nowhere near nothing, but it's also nowhere near everything.

It’s totally f’n stupid is what it is

The ancient pyramids were built with slaves

The Roman colluseum was built with slaves

Slaves were totally normal in pre modern times

America is not uniquely evil and doesn’t need to apologize

Cue the "New World Chattel Slavery was different" excuse in 3...2....1...

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: The past few times I’ve gone to Virginia I see tons and tons of.... [Re: ifallalot] #2983166
07/17/19 06:26 PM
07/17/19 06:26 PM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by afoaf

it's a tricky situation.

Refresh my memory on it again? Did his dad take him illegally here and his mom was waiting for him in Cuba?

his mom drowned while trying to get him here.

he was placed with family in Florida.

his dad (still in Cuba) wanted him back home...but the relatives would not
hand him over.

Janet Reno was forced to escalate.

...I think....

It’s like the GZA coming on after U-God
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32