REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ear plugs [Re: mundus] #2967525
06/13/19 03:31 PM
06/13/19 03:31 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
FWIW, back in the 70s there was an article in SURFER where an ENT examined ears of surfers in Southern CA, Victoria OZ, and the Gold Coast and found closure in all zones.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Ear plugs [Re: mundus] #2967567
06/13/19 04:02 PM
06/13/19 04:02 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
I grew up surfing in CA and have had the fastest growth in my left ear. That one's been drilled twice. Right ear, once.

I think the window down after a session with cool air blowing into a wet ear is probably the likely cause.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Ear plugs [Re: Hdip] #2967571
06/13/19 04:04 PM
06/13/19 04:04 PM
G
grundy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
grundy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Originally Posted by Hdip
I bought a pair of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07773898X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They appear to be a clone of the last generation of surfears. I figured for $6 bucks why not. Only had them out once. They seemed to work fine in keeping the water out of my ears. Really odd to be able to hear. When water goes over the vent it's muffles it a bit, not as bad as a typical ear plug though.

Interesting. A day late...

I just bought a pair of Surf Ears, haven't had them in the water yet.

Doc's don't work for me, they just don't fit right - no matter what size I wear, I lose them.

Mac's work great, but I hate wearing them because I can't hear.

I usually wear a hood and have just been figuring that I'm all good. But, I just had a doc look in my ear and tell me that I'm starting to develop some growth. That news made the price tag for the expensive plugs seem totally reasonable.

Re: Ear plugs [Re: Hdip] #2967584
06/13/19 04:18 PM
06/13/19 04:18 PM
San Buena Ventura
S
SrPato Offline
Miki Dora status
SrPato  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

San Buena Ventura
I bought a pair of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07773898X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They appear to be a clone of the last generation of surfears. I figured for $6 bucks why not. Only had them out once. They seemed to work fine in keeping the water out of my ears. Really odd to be able to hear. When water goes over the vent it's muffles it a bit, not as bad as a typical ear plug though.

I just bought a pair of these yesterday. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so I can post a review over the weekend. Thanks for the recommendation. wink2

Sr Pato

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Re: Ear plugs [Re: Iceman] #2967592
06/13/19 04:28 PM
06/13/19 04:28 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Iceman
There is a place in Santa Cruz that does silicone molds of your ears, then make custom plugs that fit perfect. Spent $100 on a good set of surf-specific plugs, that also have a membrane to let in some sound so you're not completely deaf. They're comfy and they don't fall out. With my ears at 90% closure, it's money well spent.

This is a good route to go.

But what could be cheaper and nearly as good is to go to, gasp, a gun show, the bigger the better.

There is pretty much always a booth where someone will make you custom plugs, with or without leash.

On your way out, you can buy some anti-govt literature, beef jerky, a cool 3 wolf t-shirt, and terrorist hunting license.

But I just use either Doc's plugs or cheapo soft silicon inserts...even when I wear a hood.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 06/13/19 04:29 PM.
Re: Ear plugs [Re: Mr Doof] #2967596
06/13/19 04:33 PM
06/13/19 04:33 PM
G
grundy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
grundy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Originally Posted by Mr Doof
There is a place in Santa Cruz that does silicone molds of your ears, then make custom plugs that fit perfect. Spent $100 on a good set of surf-specific plugs, that also have a membrane to let in some sound so you're not completely deaf. They're comfy and they don't fall out. With my ears at 90% closure, it's money well spent.

But what could be cheaper and nearly as good is to go to, gasp, a gun show, the bigger the better.

There is pretty much always a booth where someone will make you custom plugs, with or without leash.

On your way out, you can buy some anti-govt literature, beef jerky, a cool 3 wolf t-shirt, and terrorist hunting license.

But I just use either Doc's plugs or cheapo soft silicon inserts...even when I wear a hood.

but gun show plugs are going to be made to block noise right? I mean, that seems like the point of wearing earplugs when you're shooting your gunz.

that's my biggest issue with surfing with ear plugs - not being able to hear.

Re: Ear plugs [Re: SrPato] #2967648
06/13/19 06:24 PM
06/13/19 06:24 PM
M
mundus Offline OP
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
M

Originally Posted by SrPato

I just bought a pair of these yesterday. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so I can post a review over the weekend. Thanks for the recommendation. wink2

#metoo, hopefully going give them a try this afternoon. Edit, tried them, they seem to have worked. My ears are really clogged so it is hard to tell.

Last edited by mundus; 06/14/19 12:25 AM.
Re: Ear plugs [Re: grundy] #2967789
06/13/19 09:52 PM
06/13/19 09:52 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by grundy
Originally Posted by Mr Doof

but gun show plugs are going to be made to block noise right? I mean, that seems like the point of wearing earplugs when you're shooting your gunz.

that's my biggest issue with surfing with ear plugs - not being able to hear.

Yeah, noise is the main reason for them, but noise kept out = water kept out. Or so I would guess.

Those guys at the show are more or less providing the service side for this kit.

So, maybe just buy the kit and DIY for a custom fit?

But do I do this? No.

Just providing more info so people can make a better informed decision....someone will always want a custom fitted thing for their ears.

Re: Ear plugs [Re: mundus] #2968461
06/15/19 04:13 AM
06/15/19 04:13 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

silicone cauly will mold to your ear exactly, and cure into a gel of sorts.
but i wouldnt try it

Re: Ear plugs [Re: mundus] #2970865
06/20/19 06:05 PM
06/20/19 06:05 PM
San Buena Ventura
S
SrPato Offline
Miki Dora status
SrPato  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

San Buena Ventura
Originally Posted by mundus
Originally Posted by SrPato

#metoo, hopefully going give them a try this afternoon. Edit, tried them, they seem to have worked. My ears are really clogged so it is hard to tell.

Ok, tried mine out and they seem to work pretty well. My right ear has a larger cavity than the left so I used the Medium in the Left and the Large in the Right. Had a tiny amount of leakage in the Right but definitely way better than other products. It is nice to be able to hear conversations clearly though. applause2

Sr Pato

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Re: Ear plugs [Re: mundus] #2971689
06/22/19 02:37 PM
06/22/19 02:37 PM
Body of Christ, Texas
T
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status
test_article  Offline
Phil Edwards status