REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2897113 - 01/12/19 05:03 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Grinmann Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: True West
The numbness in the hands and tingling in your left arm could very well be C-spine issues. There's a giant nerve bundle in the shoulders that's easily affected by impingement in the neck. I went through this for quite a while after a bad neck injury - thought that I had major shoulder problems, which I didn't have.

The thing that saved me was a simple neck exercise of standing against a wall with shoulders rotated back into their 'pockets', then a forced chin tuck - as if trying to push the back of your neck flat to the wall. A more advanced version - don't do this right away - is slowly tilting/turning the head to either side.

Here's a decent version of it here (the guy's a bit much but persevere for the exercise):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YyA96CfNhA

After my injury I was told by several different docs that I would never climb or surf or even train again. One gave me the brilliant advice of getting use to a life in slippers. So, it took a while, but I got it back, mostly. If I didn't have other injuries I'd be all the way back.

Don't know you Witchi but I'm totally pulling for you! You can do this!

#2897114 - 01/12/19 05:05 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Witchipoo
I knew I could count on you guys for practical advice. I'm doing PT, but with my insurance and other fuckery going on I can only get in once in a while. I'm doing the exercises they give me, but there's definitely something going on with my left rotator cuff. A tear or something. And I have numbness in my hands and tingling sensations shooting down my left arm. I'm on medication that causes some nasty side effects, including numbness and tingling and bone loss, so there's that too.

I was extra bummed yesterday because I'm trying to re-learn drums so I can play this benefit show my old band set up to help me pay my bills. Tickets are already sold, and I don't want to totally suck. Yesterday I went to practice and it hurt and I got tired and discouraged really fast (I'm on THREE medications whose main side effect is fatigue banghead) My PT says drums aren't the greatest idea, but I HAVE to do this.

So I thought I was having a huge existential crisis, but it turns out I was just hungry. foreheadslap roflmao I ate dinner after I posted and felt a little better about the whole thing, but I still miss surfing something awful. Looks like a mat or sponge is the next step. I know nothing about fins, etc. so post up any recommendations for that stuff . . .

Can some~one help kick start a GoFundMe campaign for Janet, aka Witchipoo?
Thanks, she probably could use our help. I'll do my part askin' at some beaches she likes.
Maybe we can make a small difference in her life as she battles this cancer...
wave2

#2897115 - 01/12/19 05:50 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Here's to our badass Witchipoo:
rockin

Edited by RWVBWL (01/12/19 01:25 PM)

#2897182 - 01/12/19 11:07 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: RWVBWL]
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status

You had a double mastectomy?

Maybe you don't have any injury to the rotator cuff but have a shoulder, back, and chest muscle/tendon trauma from the operation and when everything healed up, it all healed up super tight and your range of motion is nothing like it was. Apparently this is a recognized thing.

Maybe some post-op post boob surgery exercises is what you need.

Talk to your doc anyway....that is best.

#2897205 - 01/12/19 12:11 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: youcantbeserious]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: valley purgatory
Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
I've blown both of mine, multiple times. I have fvcked up shoulders.

First off, rest until they don't hurt. Bottom line. Then make this your life:

https://www.orthoinfo.org/globalassets/pdfs/2017-rehab_shoulder.pdf

You can come back. It worked for me. But the bottom line is this -- once you mess up your rotator cuffs, it is either surgery or you have to pack on the muscle to keep those things place. So... pack on the muscle.

You have a lot of surf years left in you Witchipoo. Never give up.

Thanks for posting this!

#2897232 - 01/12/19 01:07 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: RWVBWL]
Witchipoo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: East of Malibu
Originally Posted By: RWVBWL
GoFundMe.
Some~one smart set it up, let's do this!
Here's our badass Witchipoo:
https://www.punkglobe.com/janethousdeninterview0816.php
rockin

DON'T CLICK ON THAT LINK!!!! The person who wrote that just raided my Facebook page for hideous pictures without checking with me. bawling

And thanks, Randy, that's really sweet of you, but there's already been a GoFundMe,which is how I'm currently paying my bills. The thing is, it involved pre-selling tickets to a concert in March that I am nowhere near ready to play! Desperately trying to get back in drumming shape to avoid utter humiliation. shocked2 roflmao

Got an appointment with my primary doctor in which I plan on lobbying vigorously for an MRI. And I'm going to borrow a mat from a friend, but I have no idea where to go! Clowny? confused2

#2897255 - 01/12/19 01:32 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Hey!
I just got online for a lil while, edited+deleted it, so do so too!
Got a link to your GoFundMe? Or do I just have to meet up with you in person
to give you some luv from some of thee crew that I'll collect for you from those who also ride waves at some of your local L.A. beaches?
I'll email ya...
RW

#2897279 - 01/12/19 02:03 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: youcantbeserious]
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Leucadia
Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
I've blown both of mine, multiple times. I have fvcked up shoulders.

First off, rest until they don't hurt. Bottom line. Then make this your life:

https://www.orthoinfo.org/globalassets/pdfs/2017-rehab_shoulder.pdf

You can come back. It worked for me. But the bottom line is this -- once you mess up your rotator cuffs, it is either surgery or you have to pack on the muscle to keep those things place. So... pack on the muscle.

You have a lot of surf years left in you Witchipoo. Never give up.

thanks for this pdf/ page YCBS i've been half assing my shoulder exercises and have been in on and off pain for years with my shoulders, 40 years plus of paddling has taken its toll but I know these will help. and good luck witchipoo as some said just get in the water, ,mats are fun and you can go to less crowded breaks and get your fix,

#2897290 - 01/12/19 02:31 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Bob Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Oxnard
ACUPUNCTURE.

#2897297 - 01/12/19 03:12 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Doug is right about the referred pain

If you got your tits cut off that could totally be referring in the shoulder.

https://www.bodyback.com/pages/trigger-points

#2897521 - 01/13/19 12:45 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Gnudz Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jonestown
I had rotator cuff issues in both shoulders but both are better now. There are some fairly simple exercises that help but it may take some time for the pain to completely go away. The pain used to make sleeping difficult, let alone surfing. Best of luck with your healing and your upcoming gig. I hope you'll let us know when and where it is so we can come cheer you on/heckle you.

Unpopular opinion: I really hate political parties. I feel like when we call ourselves Democrats or Republicans, we all forget what we are Americans - Americans that love the country and each other. - David Hogg

#2901270 - Today at 10:48 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Hiya Witchipoo!
As I know that ya miss your surfin'
and as I have seen ya out riding before the sun was shinin' down upon you,
well I thought I'd post this photograph of ya from January of last year!
Racin' a sweeet lil' Topanga wall!

Betcha miss some of those early mornin' L.A. sunrises too,
so here's 1 from this mornin' shot from another of your fav beaches...

Have your~self a great day!
wave2
rockin

#2901275 - Today at 11:09 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Witchipoo's GoFundMe!
She'll prob' get mad at me, oh well, hahaha!
Sucks to even need some help, but can anyone please do so?
Battlin' cancer ain't gonna be easy nor cheap, bet we can all agree it'll be a struggle, right?
The benefit concert is sold out from what I know, but please, any lil' donatation would help!
https://www.gofundme.com/janet-housden-born-innocent-fund
wave2

#2901523 - Today at 07:23 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
I'm sorry, I didn't read all the comments but please have your shoulder properly diagnosed!

I've had a similar pain in my right shoulder and immediately sunk deep into despair thinking it's a rotator cuff.
I was so convinced that I started preparing myself mentally that I will have to quit surfing. bawling

Turns out it was a frozen shoulder. Felt like hell for a few months but I eventually regained the full motion and am still pain free 10 years later.

Good luck!

wave2

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32