REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#790835 - 03/17/12 12:53 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Sanzabar]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Quote:

whatever...Surftechs are hot, I luv'em, tired of screwin around with inconsistent sticks and fickle shapers....durable, dependable and standards to judge others by

#790836 - 03/17/12 10:07 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: ifallalot]
donniedarko Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The Coast
Besides Strives and Ultraflxs I never see them around. The longboards cost near a grand. Dont know why the hate. Tom Daums post was spot on. Id hate leashes and good wetsuits, that done more to empower the punter and kook to surf than any board made in Thailand. Also a kick in the gut to Craigslist too, thats the biggest retailer to the barn then anyone else

#790837 - 03/18/12 11:31 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
revolutionsurfer Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Occupied Dixie
I love the smell of pop outs in the morning. It's smells like............victory.
It is murder

#790838 - 06/04/12 08:00 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: kellsmith]
SurfZombie Offline
Tom Curren status

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

supporting arguement? i think he was off on a lot of his comments regarding non-pop-out epoxy construction but way more of his essay was spot on, imo. to be fair it was written a number of years ago and didnt mention epoxy glassed pu's at all.

always had a negative and condescending view of the surfing world, especially the shortboard shapers and designs. then goes on to go full bore S.U.P. popouts from china guy's the definition of hypocrite

if that is true, wow. i spent like half hour reading his letter and agreeing with it. if he really does endorse china sups now ummm

Yeah, there's a big thread on it somewhere. He even had some long winded monologue that he wrote explaining why he did it and it just sounded horrible. Guy jumped at the chance to put some coin in his pocket and gave the gigantic double middle finger to his morals and everything he preached loudly about in the process.

#790839 - 06/04/12 08:46 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
jimthegenius Offline
Grom

I have resisted all and every attempt by outsiders to do a molded model of any of my boards. Dale Dobson got all excited about Hynson and his Boardworks models, "Hynson is making 50,000 dollars a year off his models", "I need a high performance and a nose rider model", "after all, I have to look out for my future".
So, Dale and I would split a 50 dollar royalty, but Boardworks contracts you to 500 boards per model, I only build 300 custom boards a year, all of them take time, but I bill out at 350.00 per board to make my biz run, anything less and I would go out of business. Even if I could convince "clients" to purchase a molded model and sell 1000 of them, that's an extremely unlikely scenario, I'd wind up with 25,000 dollars, or less.
Dale insisted he needed a better sponsor, I said there were plenty of sponsors, just they were all outside my door.
51 years and every f'n one is still made in the US of A, signed and shaped by myself.
Now I do recommend a soft, molded, used or similar board for beginners, I WON'T build or sell a brand new board to a person who has never surfed before, all the bells and whistles in the world can't make a beginner surf any better. I'd walk into traffic before I'd put my name on a non custom product

#790840 - 06/04/12 08:55 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: jimthegenius]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Quote:

I have resisted all and every attempt by outsiders to do a molded model of any of my boards. Dale Dobson got all excited about Hynson and his Boardworks models, "Hynson is making 50,000 dollars a year off his models", "I need a high performance and a nose rider model", "after all, I have to look out for my future".
So, Dale and I would split a 50 dollar royalty, but Boardworks contracts you to 500 boards per model, I only build 300 custom boards a year, all of them take time, but I bill out at 350.00 per board to make my biz run, anything less and I would go out of business. Even if I could convince "clients" to purchase a molded model and sell 1000 of them, that's an extremely unlikely scenario, I'd wind up with 25,000 dollars, or less.
Dale insisted he needed a better sponsor, I said there were plenty of sponsors, just they were all outside my door.
51 years and every f'n one is still made in the US of A, signed and shaped by myself.
Now I do recommend a soft, molded, used or similar board for beginners, I WON'T build or sell a brand new board to a person who has never surfed before, all the bells and whistles in the world can't make a beginner surf any better. I'd walk into traffic before I'd put my name on a non custom product

#790841 - 06/04/12 09:17 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: ifallalot]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Jim has been the "hidden" shaper of many labels high end customs in the past.

Not a great situation but pays bills.

#790842 - 06/04/12 03:12 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: jimthegenius]
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: The OC Life
Quote:

#790843 - 06/04/12 06:25 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: janklow]
bjornfree Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Any board that's fun: I don't care where it's from, who made it or what the construction is. I've gotten away from surftechs but there's some good ones. The plus's are they're light, durable and you know exactly what your're gonna get. However they tend to lack feel, like playing a plastic violin VS a hand made wooden one but durability is the tradeoff. This made in Asia nonsense is laughable. No one is up in arms over Asian cars, watches, cameras, stereos or TV's. Having one in your quiver is OK folks. Getting worked up over peoples choices is pretty funny but makes for a good debate...

#790844 - 06/04/12 06:36 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: bjornfree]
Ivan_ Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Cabo, Mexico
If an asian shaper such as Yoshinori Ueda moved to the US, would you order a board from him? Lots of guys love his fins

#790845 - 06/04/12 07:58 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: bjornfree]
kellsmith Offline
Miki Dora status

I know this has been hashed out repeatedly but the difference with all the plastic everythings made in china vs local craftsmen SURFERS building boards in your own neighborhood/state/country, should be self explanatory . I mean, everything else is already made in china, but that DOES NOT mean we can or should become complacent with the homegrown board building industry.

#790846 - 06/05/12 02:55 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
hyper2 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Kinda glad i didnt pop on these Stretchs for $399 http://www.realwatersports.com/gear/surfing/surfboards?manufacturer=115 i made a call to the stretch spoke with dave was told the poly boards are made by surftech

#790847 - 06/05/12 04:27 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: hyper2]
SharkBoy Online   content
Miki Dora status

i personally couldn't care where the board was made, if american or not. Nor do i savour the scent of 'fresh resin'

But, like oakfoils said, custom boards just work better for me.

The real bummer is how exploited surfing is. Sure we get webcasts, free videos, more info online etc etc, but there is hardly any habitable places left in the world that doesn't get crowded.

I liked the old days of buying a t-shirt to show my support of the local scene, but it's just like music. Most consumers have underdeveloped taste buds and they are the largest market, thus radio/tv is saturated with poop and we are seeing the same thing in surfing. Big brands make stuff that all looks alike, and 7s is under the hands of every happy novice who is treading water in the impact zone when I'm trying to take off.

The lack of respect to the rules, and sense of entitlement bugs me probably the most. Just a really obnoxious attitude. And I've probably attached the surftech/global surf industry rider to that attitude. Therefore, my irritation isn't directed at the products, rather the people that buy them.

I expatriated from the states about 7 year ago to another country that hardly had a surf scene. Now, there are like 6 surf travel agents, websites, camps, magazines, stores and they are all run by people with probably less than 5 years of surfing experience.

When I see their 7d short depth of field high shutter speed Marine Layer rip off vids with significantly worse surfing, I don't know whether or not to laugh or cry

Edited by SharkBoy (06/05/12 04:30 AM)

#790848 - 06/05/12 06:28 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: retodd]
gkatz Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Quote:

HAHA
A local shaper near my place sells these pop outs with the dragonfly logo (and his own logo on those boards to) in his store next to his hand crafted shapes for a few bucks less.
funny.

#790849 - 06/05/12 07:58 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Greg Griffin]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Quote:

Jim has been the "hidden" shaper of many labels high end customs in the past.

Not a great situation but pays bills.

Jim does the best stringer work ive ever seen!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >