REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#790805 - 02/07/06 08:40 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: GWS]
hmmm Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Quote:

There are guys on SurfTechs that can surf. In Santa Cruz I saw a number of them. In my area, I haven't seen one yet that is better than competent. Every area is differnt I guess, but around here, SurfTechs are usually in the hands of those new to surfing. And I am seeing fewer of them in the water instead of more. They are a very small minority of the boards in the water here.

same thing with funboards !

#790806 - 02/07/06 09:28 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego
First off SLOSurfer.

I sending you a BITCH SLAP.

There, now open you eyes and your brain.

You just got bent out of shape fuming in nine paragraphs what I said in one sentance.

As for me being "condescending" - deal with it. I'm just like a Surftech, I serve a purpose.

As for my happiness with surfing. Stay out of my way, away from my break, and we'll all be happy.

#790807 - 02/07/06 09:42 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SlicedFeet]
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Quote:

First off SLOSurfer.

I sending you a BITCH SLAP.

There, now open you eyes and your brain.

You just got bent out of shape fuming in nine paragraphs what I said in one sentance.

As for me being "condescending" - deal with it. I'm just like a Surftech, I serve a purpose.

As for my happiness with surfing. Stay out of my way, away from my break, and we'll all be happy.

Could you say something about the previous three posts, all of which addressed your misconception that certain types of boards are only ridden by "kooks"? Or, if you'd prefer, I guess you could continue with the "BITCHSLAP! YOU'RE STUPID AND I'M NOT" stuff.

And before an argument ensues, I'll just remind myself and everyone else on this board of one thing:

#790808 - 02/07/06 10:24 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego

Though I like drama and fueling the fire. Those "retarded" people are people too. Can't you see the stoke on that guys face. Where's yours?

#790809 - 02/07/06 10:56 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SlicedFeet]
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

So you get on here, send me an "e-bitchslap", fail to offer any coherent support for your claims that "popout riders are kooks" despite the three refutations of that claim, and when asked directly to give an intelligent response, respond with smileys and an "I'm not gonna go there" statement?

You don't have to argue in an offensive way to prove your point, but when offering such a bold claim as "popout riders are kooks," it would probably be helpful to offer a coherent, sensible reason for that claim.

#790810 - 02/07/06 01:05 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
Tofinosurfer Offline
Grom

The title of this thread should be:

Why do "some surfers" hate Surftech, and Pop-Outs in General?

Answer:

FEAR

Fear of change, of more crowds, of surfing being mainstreamed, of competition, etc....

All immature and negative reasons. Any adult over 18 hating a type of surfboard or those using it needs to grow up and be a big boy.

#790811 - 02/07/06 02:38 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Tofinosurfer]
dk Offline

Loc: Leucadia
I don't get it. Why would an overpriced popout contribute to more people surfing? Maybe like 300$ overseas board being made...but not $700 pieces of plastic. And just for the record those are not the people who bother me. Anyone who shells out that kinda cash on their first board is obviously a full blown kook. Chances are he wont even make it out.

The ones that kill me is the 18 year old kid who thinks he fukkin rips as he cus you off on his surftech. Given he wouldve done it on his poly to. But chances are he has this idea in his head that when I run him over his board will not be harmed. Which is completely wrong.

this thread is great.

anyone who starts surftech threads should be on a 1 week suspension from now on. We have done this far to often, and each time people claim the same things. 1 side (the owners of these beauts) says the other is afraid while the other (anti shittech) says the others are kooks.

bottom line is..ride what WYD rides and ask no more questions!

#790812 - 02/07/06 02:49 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: dk]
hmmm Offline

i like my flex is bad thread better

#790813 - 02/08/06 07:09 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: hmmm]
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Quote:

i like my flex is bad thread better

Yeah, so you've got some shaping heavyweights to post...so what? My thread is longer.

And my thread is endorsed by Mike Ditka.

"I'm Mike Ditka, and I approve of this thread." - Mike Ditka

#790814 - 02/08/06 09:12 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS Offline

Tom Curren status

Loc: Pavement, CA USA
A few factors went into creating the Surftech debate.

The early Surftech ads had the words "environmental" and "unbreakable". Both claims are untrue and those words no longer appear in their ads.

The surf media got a little over excited and started to claim that "custom surfboards are things of the past". This even bummed out the shapers who had contracts with Surftech and it really upset surfers with specific needs and surfers who have longtime working relationships with shapers. I think this is where the bad blood began.

Surftech ran an ad claiming "no more mystery shapes" which again upset many of the shapers who have contracts with them. That is a pretty insulting thing to say about your clients and it is a jab at all the talented people out there making boards.

A lot of Surftech ads feature a grinning shaper posing with his Skil 100 with a row of KKL cut Clark Foam blanks in the background. This gives a false impression of what the boards are.

Surftech resisted putting a permanent Made in Thailand logo on the boards. The argument was, it is okay to outsource surfboards because no-one cares. But if no-one cares why not put the logo on? Now they do, but they did a great job of making it hard to read.

A lot of people who were neutral on Surftech took sides when Surftech started painting faux stringers on the boards. I'm not sure whose genius idea that was but it is viewed as really insulting to a lot of shapers and surfers.

The "exact copy" of the master shape is a slippery one and probably the best kept secret in the surf industry. The edges are softer, the vee and concaves are not the same and if you want to freak yourself out go get yourself a rocker stick and start measuring.

For the old school longboard shapers Surftech is seen as a retirement program and a great lifter of the guilt people feel for hassling guys like Donald Takayama for bro deals for 25 years. I love Sam George's favorite line, "What do you have against Donald Takayama?" This kills me because we all know that Donald is still very much involved in shaping.

The flex issue, 90's surf magazines are filled with articles on the magic of foam and wood stringers flex patterns. Suddenly a company with non-flexy boards is taking out 2 page color ads and nobody cares about flex anymore.
This is where your personal taste come in, a lot of people have abandoned Surftechs because of their rigid feel, some people don't mind or even like it.
For shortboards it is probably less of an issue for most people than longboards. Forgiving flex in longboards is vital in my opinion. I am getting tired of watching people getting bucked off those things.

Surftech doesn't pay the shapers enough. I know this sounds crazy but according to the Fortune magazine article on Randy French Surftech makes 70,000 boards a year and is a 30 million dollar company. They only paid out a million dollars in royalties, that is divided across all those models for all those different labels. According to the article the "shaper" gets $30-50 bucks per board. At first this sounds great, money for nuthin' bro. But it just shows how cheaply shapers can be bought off.
Sure, Surftech does a lot of advertising for you and distributes your boards for you but with the cost of a Surftech being (I'm told) $108 to land in the US and being sold in surf shops for $650, well...I would think that shapers would want at least $100 to start. Randy French said in a recent Surfingmag.com article that he is basically retired now!

One thing that concerns me (and most of you will not give a ***** about this) is that I worry about the instrumental behind the scenes shaper who works for surfboard companies like Rusty and Channel Islands. Rusty is not RDOT without Rick Hamon and Al Merrick is not Channel Islands without Russell. I fear that if Surftech did overwhelm surfing that those great craftsman would be discarded. There are a lot of great shapers that are introverts and instead of pushing their own labels went to work for other labels. If I were a shaper I would start working hard now on building a cult of personality so that I could someday be groovy enough to get a Surftech model.

Since it's 2006 I pretty much feel that the Surftech debate is dead and pointless. Custom boards didn't vanish. A lot of surfers who buy Surftechs also order customs, it is just the way it is.

#790815 - 02/08/06 09:28 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
hmmm Offline

thats one of the best replies TFAD...well put.

Again although I love the way my poly boards ride, the future is really in a custom epoxy type of board or some variation of that. the small shop shaper/glass should be able to adapt to creating boards of these types and clark just jumped started everyone on it. As you mentioned in another post there should be some amazing boards coming in the future. I still see myself buying polys though but really I am open to epoxy. I got one eps board and an xtr on the way and will go from there..

#790816 - 02/08/06 09:29 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
rfe Offline
Nep status

Loc: right around the corner
Has anybody ever seen a Surftech without it's "bitchin" paint job? Fugly with a capitol F.

Nice rant, TFAD.

#790817 - 02/08/06 05:26 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: TRI FINS ARE DANGEROUS]
susej Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Japan
Quote:

A few factors went into creating the Surftech debate.

The early Surftech ads had the words "environmental" and "unbreakable". Both claims are untrue and those words no longer appear in their ads.

The surf media got a little over excited and started to claim that "custom surfboards are things of the past". This even bummed out the shapers who had contracts with Surftech and it really upset surfers with specific needs and surfers who have longtime working relationships with shapers. I think this is where the bad blood began.

Surftech ran an ad claiming "no more mystery shapes" which again upset many of the shapers who have contracts with them. That is a pretty insulting thing to say about your clients and it is a jab at all the talented people out there making boards.

A lot of Surftech ads feature a grinning shaper posing with his Skil 100 with a row of KKL cut Clark Foam blanks in the background. This gives a false impression of what the boards are.

Surftech resisted putting a permanent Made in Thailand logo on the boards. The argument was, it is okay to outsource surfboards because no-one cares. But if no-one cares why not put the logo on? Now they do, but they did a great job of making it hard to read.

A lot of people who were neutral on Surftech took sides when Surftech started painting faux stringers on the boards. I'm not sure whose genius idea that was but it is viewed as really insulting to a lot of shapers and surfers.

The "exact copy" of the master shape is a slippery one and probably the best kept secret in the surf industry. The edges are softer, the vee and concaves are not the same and if you want to freak yourself out go get yourself a rocker stick and start measuring.

For the old school longboard shapers Surftech is seen as a retirement program and a great lifter of the guilt people feel for hassling guys like Donald Takayama for bro deals for 25 years. I love Sam George's favorite line, "What do you have against Donald Takayama?" This kills me because we all know that Donald is still very much involved in shaping.

The flex issue, 90's surf magazines are filled with articles on the magic of foam and wood stringers flex patterns. Suddenly a company with non-flexy boards is taking out 2 page color ads and nobody cares about flex anymore.
This is where your personal taste come in, a lot of people have abandoned Surftechs because of their rigid feel, some people don't mind or even like it.
For shortboards it is probably less of an issue for most people than longboards. Forgiving flex in longboards is vital in my opinion. I am getting tired of watching people getting bucked off those things.

Surftech doesn't pay the shapers enough. I know this sounds crazy but according to the Fortune magazine article on Randy French Surftech makes 70,000 boards a year and is a 30 million dollar company. They only paid out a million dollars in royalties, that is divided across all those models for all those different labels. According to the article the "shaper" gets $30-50 bucks per board. At first this sounds great, money for nuthin' bro. But it just shows how cheaply shapers can be bought off.
Sure, Surftech does a lot of advertising for you and distributes your boards for you but with the cost of a Surftech being (I'm told) $108 to land in the US and being sold in surf shops for $650, well...I would think that shapers would want at least $100 to start. Randy French said in a recent Surfingmag.com article that he is basically retired now!

One thing that concerns me (and most of you will not give a ***** about this) is that I worry about the instrumental behind the scenes shaper who works for surfboard companies like Rusty and Channel Islands. Rusty is not RDOT without Rick Hamon and Al Merrick is not Channel Islands without Russell. I fear that if Surftech did overwhelm surfing that those great craftsman would be discarded. There are a lot of great shapers that are introverts and instead of pushing their own labels went to work for other labels. If I were a shaper I would start working hard now on building a cult of personality so that I could someday be groovy enough to get a Surftech model.

Since it's 2006 I pretty much feel that the Surftech debate is dead and pointless. Custom boards didn't vanish. A lot of surfers who buy Surftechs also order customs, it is just the way it is.

Fantastic post TFAD!

But I think you said it just as well in one sentence post- Black Monday when you said.... about not panicking...

uh...

what did you say again?....

#790818 - 02/10/06 07:37 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
internettoughguy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: The Internet
what?

No flipping off surftech truck??

No surftech being put through the branch grinder?

No picture of that snapped surftech CI?

No picture of the old guy with the veneer tech snap and peeled uber delam?

@#!%&$ = What! This Thread is useless wif out any pix!

#790819 - 02/10/06 03:22 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: internettoughguy]
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Now if that isn't proof that popouts are superior, I don't know what is.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >