REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#790759 - 02/03/06 03:34 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Quote:

popouts = clone

These aren't boards that are shaped for "you", these are
the tools of the unwashed masses. "One size/shape fits all"
marketing and mentality.

So are stock boards.

#790760 - 02/03/06 03:36 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
NB Surf Guy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Zooport
Quote:

Quote:

popouts = clone

These aren't boards that are shaped for "you", these are
the tools of the unwashed masses. "One size/shape fits all"
marketing and mentality.

So are stock boards.

Exactally! Funny that they are cheaper that "Stock" poly boards now. If you're gonna buy off the rack the smarter choice is Tuflite, no question.

#790762 - 02/03/06 04:01 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy]
SurfZombie Offline
Tom Curren status

I'm DIEING to know what's so superior about these boards.

Aloha

Bryan

#790763 - 02/03/06 04:05 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General
SLOsurfer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Most of the stock boards I see on the rack are all-white. No artistic effort made, whatsoever. Most of them are rough shaped by a machine, and how much enthusiasm really goes into a stock board? I hardly think ghost shapers get excited about cranking out white "clone" stock boards. I just don't think the fact that "this board had some direct human input" should be enough to make the Surftech the hated board.

Surftechs have human input, too. They're not the product of a robot that's cranking physics equations somewhere. Sure, they have less direct human input than a stock board, but both come into being through human invention AND machine production. I think that the difference between a stock board and a Surftech is a slight one.

Just my $0.02.

#790764 - 02/03/06 04:58 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SurfZombie]
NB Surf Guy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Zooport
Quote:

I'm DIEING to know what's so superior about these boards.

Aloha

Bryan

Uhh..... They last more than 6 months....for starters.

Simple logic.

#790765 - 02/03/06 05:05 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

the narcissism of small difference

#790766 - 02/03/06 05:42 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy]
craigj532 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Every single significant progression in the art and sport of surfing has come as a result of or been made possible by the custom board. Look at the boards you were riding ten years ago and look at the boards you're riding now. If they're significantly better, thank the custom board shaper. If they're not, you're either a kook or you don't know what you're missing.

Look at the level of surfing now compared to 20 years ago. That progression has been made possible by surfers everywhere working directly with shapers to improve the sport and its equipment, and it never would have happened with a stale, obselete as soon as its made, product like Surftech.

Talk sh*t on real shapers as much as you want. You'd miss them if they were gone.

#790767 - 02/04/06 06:55 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: craigj532]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

20 years ago- 1986, Curren vs Occy probably some of the best surfing ever. In 20 years boards have gotten thinner and lighter but has surfing gotten "better", I think that's arguable. More tricks certainly, but better, I don't know. Also if you look at boards from 20 years vs. today, I think you see only very incremental improvements vs. 20 years before that. I bet most surfers of today would be more comfortable and find more rideable a 1986 board, than surfers from 1986 would find a 1966 board. Surfboard development has stagnated over the last 20 years even with custom shapers.

I think a better argument could be made for pros shaping their own boards driving the sport from the mid 70's to mid 80s'.

Look at what people talk about here- bonzers, twins, quads, etc. People are bored of "modern" surfboards precisiely because they haven't really changed in 20 years so they've gone back to the time when design was more open and started from there.

Most people can't really compare a board from 10 years ago vs. today because boards in the mid-90's got so flimsy that they aren't around anymore. Look at many of today's most popular boards, they are throwbacks to the very time you're disparaging.

Not an argument for Surftech per say, but definetely an argument for more innovation in surfboard design and more importantly materials. We ride a toxic soup of chemicals and that lasts for a year and takes millions of years to degrade.

#790768 - 02/04/06 11:18 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: nightfly]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I agree with that line of thought. Also for those that don't like surftech take a few seconds to consider what else you use in your everyday life that is mass produced but you have no animosity towards. Why is a mass produced surfboard so bad but your mass produced car, computer, Ipod, tv, etc, etc, etc acceptable? It's your money and you make your own choice as to what to spend it on after being influenced by advertising, surfing magazines, DVD's and what your friends are using.

#790769 - 02/04/06 11:19 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy]
vespagetti Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: O - Side
Quote:

Why do u think everyone Hates the U.S.? Because we are the most superior Country in the world.

That's a perfect analogy. Except that people don't hate the US or Surftech because of their "superiority" but because of their hypocrisy, tendency to mess in other people's business and general imperialistic disposition.

#790770 - 02/04/06 11:41 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: done
Anyone who can only get six months out of a poly board has a really dumb glassing schedule (like single 4 deck and bottom on a 2.25 inch thick board) or a really bad glasser. Unless we are talking about ultra powerful waves, in which case all bets are off. SurfTech included. Ive seen a ton of them snap in big stuff.

And the SurfTech boards are still selling at significant premiums over stock boards (Ive seen 650 + tax for ST shortboards).

As for the rest of the items in my life that are mass produced, I guess I just kind of have more love and respect for surfing than I have say for the auto or computer industry. Surfing used to be something very special. Some of us would like to keep it that way as long as possible. If popouts manufactured offshore (with materials so toxic they couldnt manufacture in the US at any price) utilizing sweat shop labor becomes the standard, it will be a sad day. We will have lost something very special. Something that set us apart, something that was about custom craftsmanship and individuality in a mass produced 6 sizes fits all world.

And then surfing really will be no different than golf.

Goody.

#790771 - 02/04/06 11:54 AM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
Bulkleysurfboards Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Oceanside ca.
Don't forget Surf rags. They're the machine that uncovers many of the once secret surf spots. Sharing with the masses why we love the sport. Its fun to talk about but most of us, if not all, have brought a new friend into the lineup where someone else has wished we didn't. More crowds because its so damn much fun. The best sport ever. Its hard to keep a lid on something like that. When you come in to work, even at Lost Ent.among friends, I got to admit, its a battle in my mind not to let the cat out of the bag on where I got that barrel. Generally I lie. Sorry guys, I'm not a crowd person. Surf tech is just way too pushy and making it happen much faster. Lots of money will bring Wall Street and mass marketing. If your not use to it yet, oh well. Buy an Island. If people quit buying surftechs, they're warehouses will fill up and they will have to slowdown POOL TOY production. BB

Edited by Bulkleysurfboards (02/04/06 12:17 PM)

#790772 - 02/04/06 12:19 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer]
bode1 Offline
Grom

Loc: South Jersey
Are those Bic boards made by serftech?

#790773 - 02/04/06 03:59 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: GWS]
hmmm Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Quote:

Anyone who can only get six months out of a poly board has a really dumb glassing schedule (like single 4 deck and bottom on a 2.25 inch thick board) or a really bad glasser. Unless we are talking about ultra powerful waves, in which case all bets are off.

my kg fishes are glassed heavy 6, 6x6. but just after a few months of not even moderate use, spider cracks occur on near the fins and under my front foot... this is not exclusive just to kg but all my boards i gotten even ones in hawaii. again just turning hard (bottom and top turns) can really put their toll on the traditional poly boards. seriously i need to pace myself on my boards so i don't break em too fast. i love them btw and they get the royal treatment and would never throw a board out that is not fixable.

#790774 - 02/04/06 10:54 PM Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: GWS]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Just on the sweatshop side of things, the Cobra factory in Chonburi Thailand isn't a sweatshop. The factories like it and the Rip Curl factory in the North have to maintain strict (by Thai standards) factory conditions and pay rates for their workers. I lived there for 11 years and became good friends with the manager of one of the factories and so have seen first hand the factories and the way they are operated. I'm not taking sides here letting you know what I've seen. Chinese factories are a whole different ballgame.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >