REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790743
02/02/06 11:14 PM
02/02/06 11:14 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
personally, I don't hate Surftechs and/or pop outs. i pretty much ignore them because they don't have the shapes I want. a 3 models fits all product line doesn't fit my needs. as far as them contributing to crowd line ups . usually takes just a good swell to set things straight. if someone can make it out on a good size day riding a Surftech, then I can't complain.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790744
02/02/06 11:59 PM
02/02/06 11:59 PM
J
janklow Offline
Gerry Lopez status
janklow  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
J

Quote:

With all due respect, I don't think that Surftech made surfing any more accessible. A shortage of surfboards has never kept people from surfing. If Surftech never existed, those who have purchased their boards would just have purchased a board from another company.

And if anyone want to blame someone for over-promoting surfing, blame CI, Quiksliver, Hurley, Billabong, and any other mainstream surf company. They're the ones that has made surfing "cool", not Surftech. Not like I'm in Surftech's jock or anything, but I just don't think they're the ones to blame for the exponential increase in surfers in the water.

That's right. It's the "cool" image surfers propagate and perpetuate that leads to population explosions. It is and always has been the fashion faggotry and the stuck-up insularity. It's not Surftechs. STop wearing Quiksilver, Reef, BBong, Volcom and all that other s h i t, strip the stickers off your (f u c k i n g)SUV, and quit acting like you're such a cool guy and everyone else that doesn't surf is such a "kook"-- the mystique will disappear, along with the oh-so-horrendous crowds of wanna-be surfers. Simple as that. If other people can tell you're a surfer, if you're wearing any part of the current oh-so-fashionable uniform, if you're not a completely stealthy surfer you're part of the oh-so-terrible problem. Better yet, wear Lycra shorts and Zinka and aqua shoes everywhere. Or cut-off Dickies, muscle shirts, unfashionable shoes. Stop feeding the big gay monster that is the surfing fashion industry if you want surfing to go out of fashion.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: janklow] #790745
02/03/06 01:13 AM
02/03/06 01:13 AM
O - Side
V
vespagetti Offline
Michael Peterson status
vespagetti  Offline
Michael Peterson status
V

O - Side
Being different is what got us into trouble in the first place.

"Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see? I mean, you gotta be somebody, ain't ya, or you might as well jump in the sea and drown." - Jimmy Cooper

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: vespagetti] #790746
02/03/06 02:12 AM
02/03/06 02:12 AM
J
janklow Offline
Gerry Lopez status
janklow  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
J

All's I know is I would feel weird (stupid) if people could tell I surfed, or what kind of music I liked, without knowing me. I've felt that way for a long time now. Anyway, it's the whole fashion thing that sucks, has always sucked, and is the reason for the crowds (Paging Mr. Dora...) Surftechs are threatening because people think they're gonna rob them of some individualism. But Individualism is usually pretty ironically funny when you examine it in context. Gee, Mick, our set, we're like real outcasts, ain't we? Our boards ain't like the others', are they? And we're really makin' a mark, ain't we? Not like those kooks, eh? We were never like that, were we?

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: janklow] #790747
02/03/06 03:59 AM
02/03/06 03:59 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Long before Quiksilver, Billabong and Rip Curl there were some dudes singing, "Everybody's going surfing" back in the 60's. Check out some old shots/footage of Malibu if you want to see what I mean.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Retropete] #790748
02/03/06 11:38 AM
02/03/06 11:38 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

ithink alot of people on here hate surftechs cuz a buncha other people on here hate em.

strength and weight is superior, but they r ugly

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: 000] #790749
02/03/06 12:55 PM
02/03/06 12:55 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
S
SLOsurfer Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SLOsurfer  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
You know what I think is funny? When surftech paints stringers on their boards. The JC line does it, and I think the CI line does it...so funny.

It's like they KNOW surfers aren't fond of surftechs.

"Hey, Shane, do you think our customers might ride these if we paint stringers on them? That way they won't be so embarrassed to be seen in the water on one." - JC

"Oh, crap, they'll see me with a surftech. Good thing I have this painted-on stringer." - surftech owner

It's like camoflauge.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790750
02/03/06 01:08 PM
02/03/06 01:08 PM
EAST COAST, FL, MI
B
BassExcellante Offline
Gerry Lopez status
BassExcellante  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
B

EAST COAST, FL, MI
Quote:

You know what I think is funny? When surftech paints stringers on their boards. The JC line does it, and I think the CI line does it...so funny.

"Hey, Shane, do you think our customers might ride these if we paint stringers on them? That way they won't be so embarrassed to be seen in the water on one." - JC

"Oh, crap, they'll see me with a surftech. Good thing I have this painted-on stringer." - surftech owner

It's like camoflauge.

B&G shapes
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790751
02/03/06 03:03 PM
02/03/06 03:03 PM
the land of two foot mush
B
beachbum91 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
beachbum91  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
B

the land of two foot mush
Quote:

It's like camoflauge.

thats really pathetic though that they try to hide it with a painted on stringer

were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year, running over the same old ground
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: vespagetti] #790752
02/03/06 03:19 PM
02/03/06 03:19 PM
C
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status
Caelho  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Quote:

Being different is what got us into trouble in the first place.

"Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see? I mean, you gotta be somebody, ain't ya, or you might as well jump in the sea and drown." - Jimmy Cooper

so......

when are you going to throw all your boards off a cliff when you see your idol riding a pop out or a surftech? just like jimmy

equals

nice quiver, just don't throw 'em off a cliff

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790753
02/03/06 07:54 PM
02/03/06 07:54 PM
Zooport
N
NB Surf Guy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
NB Surf Guy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Zooport
Everyone hates them because they are a superior Product.

Why do u think everyone Hates the U.S.? Because we are the most superior Country in the world.

Shapers are intimadated by them because they are taking revenue away from them. Hence, local shapers trash talk them to the shapee's, then all u shapee's come to the erBB and continue the cycle.

It all comes down to choice. Support your local shaper for an inferior product and custom designs or choose superiority, durability and proven designs.

I don't think the custom industry is gonna go away, but they're gonnna have to figure out a way to progress and compete with the new technology. It gonna take some intelligent guys to figure it out though, not some stoned glasser.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy] #790754
02/03/06 08:02 PM
02/03/06 08:02 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
S
SLOsurfer Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SLOsurfer  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Quote:

Why do u think everyone Hates the U.S.? Because we are the most superior Country in the world.

Shapers are intimadated by them because they are taking revenue away from them. Hence, local shapers trash talk them to the shapee's, then all u shapee's come to the erBB and continue the cycle.

It all comes down to choice. Support your local shaper for an inferior product and custom designs or choose superiority, durability and proven designs.

I don't think the custom industry is gonna go away, but they're gonnna have to figure out a way to progress and compete with the new technology. It gonna take some intelligent guys to figure it out though, not some stoned glasser.

Randy French, is that you?

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790755
02/03/06 08:07 PM
02/03/06 08:07 PM
land of flat points
S
SB_surfer Offline
Michael Peterson status
SB_surfer  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

land of flat points

superior? not necessarily.

I don't think they'd get hammered on as much if they were priced the way they should be: $350. Popped out of a mold in a Taiwanese factory and they want to charge more than a custom poly? They snap just as easily, but maybe won't have as many pressure dents when that time comes.

I want my nev future shapes surf burger already dammit.

3 > 4 & 5
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #790756
02/03/06 08:11 PM
02/03/06 08:11 PM
Zooport
N
NB Surf Guy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
NB Surf Guy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Zooport
Quote:

Quote:

Randy French, is that you?

I wish. That's one rich/smart motherfkr.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: NB Surf Guy] #790757
02/03/06 08:15 PM
02/03/06 08:15 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
S
SLOsurfer Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
SLOsurfer  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
I heard he's got this map on his wall, with a bunch of pushpins in it:

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9