REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#417502 - 06/25/04 04:02 PM How often do you change your leash?
FrancisGiraffe Offline
Nep status

Loc: Land of the Long White Cloud
When they break?

Once a year?

Once a month?

Had to swim in after dark the other day when mine broke after I took one on the head and had my board ripped out of my arms. Take offs are so much harder to judge in the dark

#417504 - 06/25/04 04:10 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
otf Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: clownburg the OC
What leash?

#417505 - 06/25/04 04:21 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
tom@daumtooling Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Clemente
It depends upon how and where it gets used. My company makes the ends the connect the cord to the swivels to the cuffs. Usually, leashes break from three reasons. 1) Fin cuts. 2) A pull over 130 pounds (which is about when the cord will part right at the end of our parts) 3) Swivel wearing out from fine sand abrasion. If you find any nicks in your cord replace it. If you surf a spot where you are consistantly getting big tugs replace it once a season. If you've got ultra fine sand wash you swivels out and replace your cords once a year. Otherwise with appropriate attention and care you can get 2-3 years out of a leash.At least I can.

#417506 - 06/25/04 04:28 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: otf]
buttholesurfer Offline
Duke status

Loc: RatBeach

When it's over head.

#417508 - 06/25/04 04:33 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: ]
stu dog Online   content
Duke status

Loc: CA
say what you want about FCS, but my FCS leash is still kicking. even after it was stretched a foot!

#417509 - 06/25/04 04:39 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
craigj532 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

I replace 'em when I lose 'em.

That's more often than it should be.

#417510 - 06/25/04 04:46 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: craigj532]
pickles Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Ventura, CA
I find the strings wear out faster than the leashes themselves. I replace those about every year ... I've snapped 2 or 3 strings, but only one leash.

#417511 - 06/26/04 05:27 AM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
Scrooge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: A cold, lonely place
Every time I get a new dog.

#417513 - 06/26/04 11:25 AM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: ]
Iceman Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: NorCenCal
Quote:

Never use one UNLESS...I'm near a lava rock shoreline or if it's getting big and the RIP is running hard at the Bay.

When Mr.Doof was here a few years ago and we were surfing "Pakala's" I broke my Brewer and had to bellycrawl over the reef to retrieve my board only to see two "bobbing" pieces yet still attached together by some of the fiberglass.Bumm'd me out...and it was a good wave...solid 6 foot and Kamalei Alexander yelling at me when I was DEEP inside!Best off the rack board I've had!!!
(and it was free)

Aloha,
PPK

I love this post because coming from PPK, I actually believe it.

#417514 - 06/26/04 11:38 AM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: ]
LeeD Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Berkeley,CA
Ahhhh...... Pakalas, the stuff of goof dreams, lasting memories of close to perfection, an infinity of clean lines, cloudy waters, almost the perfection of imagination, until the mid '80's, when Chicama, Ragland, G land, Padang, and most of Indo was discovered.
We used to dream of the perfection...Santosha, could it be cowpies or Madagascar, we never really knew.
Now you just look it up on the computer!

#417515 - 06/26/04 11:52 AM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: LeeD]
irieboy8 Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 808
change wax change fins whatever but never really change the leash... good point... in fact just recently we were about to paddle out to maybe 3 foot country when my bro pointed out that my leash was all discolored and looked pretty weak.... i hadn't even thought of it before.. in fact i dont think i've ever snapped a leash once.... i think i just collect leashed somehow and rotate the old ones out and the new ones in... then again i've had the same bunch of leashes for atleast 3 years now

#417516 - 06/26/04 06:16 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: irieboy8]
cockroach Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SoCal
change yor leash?
when it breaks, learn how to swim

#417517 - 06/26/04 07:41 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: tom@daumtooling]
FrancisGiraffe Offline
Nep status

Thanks Tom

#417518 - 06/26/04 07:46 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
FrancisGiraffe Offline
Nep status

Ona side note, I seem to be having a little trouble attaching it properly...

#417519 - 06/26/04 09:11 PM Re: How often do you change your leash? [Re: FrancisGiraffe]
jimmie lick Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

leashs suck 1 jimmie never wares a leash leashs are for girls

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32