REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: proposed: surf mats #36907
12/30/02 06:23 PM
12/30/02 06:23 PM
T
TeamScam Offline
Miki Dora status
TeamScam  Offline
Miki Dora status
T

Having ridden the mats(wrapped in canvas style)with rope handles on waves before anything else, this thread tempted to intrigue me from the start, but I thought it was a little much and feared one guy was even gonna cream his drawers or something at first. Well, it went to the second page and I followed. Here we are again and this is one interesting discussion here.

I think some of the statements here may be a little over the top, a little fanciful, but that's just the way I look at lots of things having to do with surfing, especially when someone beleives something so enthusiastically and has no qualms about sharing it, as only surfers do.

You can't run around the internet, the beach, or anywhere else beleiving everything you hear(especially here), but there's something about this topic that really grabs. This one has a bit of everything... comedy, science, soul, personal reflection, history, irony, conflict, it's all in there, and the list goes on.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36908
12/30/02 07:33 PM
12/30/02 07:33 PM
Lima
J
Jibaro Offline
Michael Peterson status
Jibaro  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Lima
Why ride on your belly????

-

-

ULIBOARDS.com

These things are so much fun!

Paddle super fast, catch anything, travel super easy.

We took a couple to hawaii in a duffle bag. Not only did we have a great time, but we met a bunch of people because of the ULI's.

New and exciting.

The surfmat has evolved.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36909
12/30/02 08:42 PM
12/30/02 08:42 PM
N
Numnutz Offline
Grom
Numnutz  Offline
Grom
N

Was re-thinking my childhood mat riding experiences and suddenly remembered why we were pumping them up tight and hard, so we could try to stand up on them! Try being the key word. Imagine the fun if we'd just let some air out!

Regarding pin hole leaks in mats. Ever try that inflatable boat (aka: pin-cushion. aka: pop-able) sealant that pours thru the valve?

Re: proposed: surf mats #36910
12/30/02 08:43 PM
12/30/02 08:43 PM
C
choreboy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
choreboy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

What do you pump them up with?
Can they be ridden at 15' Puerto Escondido?
Can you pull into and then out of a tube at HTs on one of these things?
What is the downside?

Re: proposed: surf mats #36911
12/30/02 09:05 PM
12/30/02 09:05 PM
Lima
J
Jibaro Offline
Michael Peterson status
Jibaro  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Lima
The pump is the same one they are using to pump up the Kiteboarding kites.

You can take it to Puerto. You might want to stick to your gun while riding such of a heavy spot.

The biggest wave I have ridden was at Sunset beach (Double Overhead). It worked. This was experimental and very exciting.

The downside to these: you might get a sore jaw from smiling so hard.

Other downfalls:
1) When you try to run over spongers, you will not be able to hurt them.

2) You will be very tired from catching so many waves.

You are probably not going to do any aireals I am limited to cutbacks, floaters and tuberiding (made it in and out various times).

These things are pure stoke!

You will see a feature in SURFER in the next couple of months with Machado and Donovan (Frankfeiter?).

Re: proposed: surf mats #36912
12/30/02 09:57 PM
12/30/02 09:57 PM
S
Solo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Solo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Jibaro... "Why ride on your belly???"

Well, an equally valid question is "why not?"

Please correct me if I`m mistaken, but it seems clear that you either haven`t carefully read what`s been posted, accessed the linked sources or just don`t understand what`s been said.

There are significant differences between an experienced surfer riding while standing (inflated board or not) and competant mat surfing... operating range of waves and surface conditions, fins vs. just edges, overall balance, sensitivity, line of sight, amount of body surface contact, use of muscles and energy expended... in addition to weight of surfcraft, portability and transport, safety, etc.

As a means of comaprison, my surfmats are easily inflated by mouth (no pumps needed), usually in less than 2 minutes... roughly 15 lung-fulls... as an example, George Greenough inflates his while he walks down the beach! Complete deflation is about the same period of time.

As someone who does design/prototype work, and building custom surfmats professionally, I can assure you that high performance surfmats and inflatable surfboards are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT surfcraft... in design, materials, construction and function. There is definitely no "evolution" between these species! Ha ha! About the only things they have in common are air and portability.

FYI, and without going into detail, in the past two years I was contracted by a Hawaiian businessman to design and create two inflatable surfboards. They were 8`-6" and 6`-6", 4 lbs. 3oz. and 2 lbs. 3 oz. respectively. Both were maximum pressure structures, and have been successfully ridden and evaluated in Hawaiian waves... and they were not ULI boards.

Yes, this thread does seem to have a bit of everything... comedy, science, soul, personal reflection, history, irony, conflict, it's all in there, and the list goes on... but don`t forget the TRUTH:

I design and build for some of the most demanding surfers in the world, who will accept nothing but the most functional, refined equipment. Many of my customers are conventional standing surfers who are proud to be highly skilled on a number of different surfcraft... once upon a time, they were known as WATERMEN.

Others are full-time mat surfers, having abandoned everything else (surfboards, kneeboards, bodysurfing, bodyboards, paipos, etc.) for what they discovered was the fastest, most sensitive and exciting way to ride a wide variety of challenging waves. Many of them also travel extensively and place a high value on traveling light. For these individuals, once
they realized what a good surfmat actually represented... the choice was simple.

By all means, ride what you like, but as George Greenough says...

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Dale

Re: proposed: surf mats #36913
12/30/02 10:09 PM
12/30/02 10:09 PM
Carlsbad, California
W
Who's Your Daddy Offline
Tom Curren status
Who's Your Daddy  Offline
Tom Curren status
W

Carlsbad, California
Well, this topic was interesting for a while....but has become a string of friggin infomercials! Thanks guys, peddle your wares elsewhere please!

Re: proposed: surf mats #36914
12/30/02 10:14 PM
12/30/02 10:14 PM
S
Solo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Solo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Dry Tube,

"What do you pump them up with?"

>No pumps needed... ever! See my other post.

"Can they be ridden at 15' Puerto Escondido?"

>I don`t know why not, they`ve been ridden in bigger... the question is "how many people actually can ride 15' Puerto Esconditio?" In reality, most surfers would just like to have more fun in their everyday waves... not a broken neck south of the border.

"Can you pull into and then out of a tube at HTs on one of these things?"

>If someone like George Greenough (filmmaker of "The Innermost Limits of Pure Fun", "Echoes", etc.) prefers them over everything else, don`t you think they`re great for tube riding?

"What is the downside?"

>Sharp, jagged objects. The same kind of nasty things that will get you emergency surgery, and your new surfboard to the garbage dump.

--

Re: proposed: surf mats #36915
12/30/02 10:29 PM
12/30/02 10:29 PM
S
Solo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Solo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Who`s Your Daddy,

That`s precisely why I rarely even look at most message boards/forums.

We`re censored if we tell a little bit of our separate stories, responding honestly to posts in a forum, but if we state the same things in our own commercial venue, it`s still dubious because then it`s just an advertisement.

You`re absolutely right. There`s no form of intelligence like stupidity.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36916
12/30/02 11:46 PM
12/30/02 11:46 PM
D
Denovan Offline
Grom
Denovan  Offline
Grom
D

(Jibaro): I`ll bet dealing with double overhead Sunset Beach whitewater on a pumped up ULI was worth a big, exciting "smile", too! How`d you manage to roll the soup?

What`s are thickness specs on the ULI you used at Sunset Beach? How thick is the nose (one foot back), tail and center? Any rocker? Twin fins, triple or single?

>>>Other downfalls: 1) When you try to run over spongers, you will not be able to hurt them.

That`s funny. But guess what- they`ll sure be able to hurt YOU in court! What are those glued-on twin fins made of? Won`t they cut/bruise someone if you impact them when moving at wave speed?

Here`s a tip: be especially careful you don`t run over sponging attorneys.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36917
01/02/03 01:59 PM
01/02/03 01:59 PM
Portland, Maine
N
Norm Offline
Michael Peterson status
Norm  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Portland, Maine
This one comes with it's own pump:

-

You can even get the "go anywhere travel suit":

-

P.S.

You're all a bunch of homos. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36918
01/02/03 02:29 PM
01/02/03 02:29 PM
D
Denovan Offline
Grom
Denovan  Offline
Grom
D

Norm with all the hours you spend on a PC, when do you find any time to complete your required community service at the Transitional Detox Center? I heard they were going to upgrade your group name to "Tiny Brain".

Re: proposed: surf mats #36919
01/02/03 02:53 PM
01/02/03 02:53 PM
San Juan Capistrano, CA
S
sandiegojoe Offline
Michael Peterson status
sandiegojoe  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

San Juan Capistrano, CA
Ever fill one up with helium?

Re: proposed: surf mats #36920
01/02/03 03:04 PM
01/02/03 03:04 PM
C
choreboy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
choreboy  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

I know someone who is gun-ho endorsing sit on top kayak style surf vehicles. OK, cool, whatever.

Some of us want to pull into heaving, grinding, spitting barrels.

Do your mats do it? What keeps you from spinning out on a ledgy, late, beach break/reef barrel?

If they're all that then I'll try it.

If I'm gonna look like a kook then I wanna be stuffed back in the pit while I'm doing it.

Re: proposed: surf mats #36921
01/02/03 03:24 PM
01/02/03 03:24 PM
Lima
J
Jibaro Offline
Michael Peterson status
Jibaro  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

Lima
Donovan:

I rode the 8 foot "fish" twin fin at sunset. I don't know the exact dimensions. You could e-mail ULIBOARDS.COM. These fins are very flexible.

To pass these larger waves was challenging. The boards paddle so fast that you rarely are in the impact zone when there is a good channel.
I found that I could paddle into the shoulders very easily due to the paddling speed and bouyancy of the craft.

I would never purposely run anyone over, even a sponger.

The San Diego lifeguards were letting us ride the ULI's in the swimming zone last summer.

I am not trying to sell these things. I do know the inventor who is nice enough to let me use them. He let us take some to Hawaii for "research". They were great to travel with.

Happy New Year.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32