REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related #2996418
08/14/19 03:16 PM
08/14/19 03:16 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
Several years ago, Frvcvs, Donuts (yes, he exists) Random Guy, SenorStoked, my wife and i, had a fun NYC erBB get together, and i invited a colleague, Tim, along for the fun. He was a staff photographer, and had become a pal over the years. I sort of explained the erBB to him, and why it was weird but not weird that i was meeting two of these guys (frvcvs and donuts) for the first time in person, at a random bar in Manhattan. At least i think RG and SS were there. I was hammered

Sadly, Tim passed away yesterday morning after a brave and heart wrenching 2 year battle with cancer. He was only 44, and leaves behind a beautiful wife, and two amazing little kids, ages 3 and 5. My heart hurts right now, but i just wrote this anecdote for a "memory book" we are compiling to present to his wife and kids. The erBB figures prominently in the tale, and I know the guys present that evening will remember Tim fondly, and tip one back in his honor.

The Magic Bus Ride:

So one evening, several years ago now (we still lived in Prospect Heights, so it was either 2012 or 2013) I invited Tim out for some drinks with my wife and I, and a handful of my surf buddies who all happened to be visiting NYC at the same time. Tim and I had been on an afternoon photo mission for a client, and we headed straight to the Bowery Diner to meet the crew. I warned him that these guys could get rowdy. In fact, a couple of them I didn’t even really know that well to begin with, I just knew that they partied as hard or harder than I did. Even with the warning, Tim was totally game to meet some new characters and have a good time. And a good time it was! We owned that bar for hours. Shots were flying, and the smiles and volume grew; laughter and good cheer ruled the evening. Despite all the surf talk, and tales of wild adventures in sketchy tropical surf locales, Tim kept up, and hit it off with the crew right away and had a blast. A few of my buddies are actually photography enthusiasts themselves, so Tim’s expertise was on fine display as they grilled him for pointers on equipment and techniques. That was the kind of guy he was- so kind, so mellow, and such a sweet and good hearted man. He made friends easily, and that night was a great example.

But our adventure that night did not end at the Bowery Diner! When the party finally drew to a close (I have no clue what time this was) Tim, my wife, and I decided to hail a cab and share a ride back to Brooklyn. My wife and I lived just a few blocks from Tim, so this could not have been more convenient. Except, of course, for the “hailing a cab” part. Not an empty cab in sight, we tried and tried to no avail. After a while, I looked across the street and saw a big yellow school bus idling at the corner, driver behind the wheel. And with the audacity only a drunken salesman can muster, I went up and knocked on the bus’s door. The driver opened up, and I asked her if she happened to be heading to Brooklyn. She said “Sure honey, hop on!”

So I waved Tim and my wife over, and we jumped on the school bus!! And on that beautiful evening flight across the Manhattan Bridge, in a commandeered school bus, the ride tinged with a whiff of illegality (we had to be violating SOME sort of liability or insurance regulation, at the very least), Tim staged a photo shoot with my wife and I: surfing the bus benches, hamming and glamming for the camera (my wife and I cannot resist a photo opp), posing like unruly school kids, all with the iconic night-framed Manhattan skyline as our back drop. I’ve had a lot of adventures in my day, but this one has always been a favorite on so many levels, and Tim’s joy and mischievous glee stood out! Even years later, crossing paths around the office, he and I would reminisce about that magical bus ride, and share a private laugh about one of those rare and precious moments of spontaneous hilarity. Those that can never be planned, never replicated, but enjoyed and remembered. It is a memory that has always brought a smile to our faces, and will continue to do so for years to come. Kathy (Tim's assistant) told me just yesterday that Tim had shared the “Bus Ride” story with her several times, and counted it among his favorite memories. I can say without a doubt that my wife and I feel the same way, and that this memory, right this very minute, is helping me smile through the sadness.

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996430
08/14/19 03:42 PM
08/14/19 03:42 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Cancer just sucks.

Awesome story and sounds like a great time.

RIP Tim.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996436
08/14/19 03:52 PM
08/14/19 03:52 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Epic story of among many good ones I’m sure to remember your friend by.

RIP

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996443
08/14/19 04:03 PM
08/14/19 04:03 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Condolences to friends and family. Cancer is cruel.

#sowhat
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996471
08/14/19 05:19 PM
08/14/19 05:19 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
RIP Tim....magical skool bus.... cheers

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996476
08/14/19 05:23 PM
08/14/19 05:23 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Online content
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
RIP Tim.

As a child, I lost my father to cancer when I was 4 (and my sister was 8). I would highly recommend that you get the 5 year old into therapy. I think the 3 year old won't have much memory of the trauma later.

Last edited by Racer1; 08/14/19 05:24 PM.
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996490
08/14/19 05:31 PM
08/14/19 05:31 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
Our company is apparently taking very good care of the family, at least financially, in the near term. And we have already raised $20K on gofund me

And he's been with us 16 years, so the life insurance payout will be considerable. Hopefully therapy for the kids, but I'm not privy to that stuff.

Wake is tomorrow afternoon frown

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996492
08/14/19 05:34 PM
08/14/19 05:34 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
sorry for your loss subway.

44 is too damn young.

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996494
08/14/19 05:35 PM
08/14/19 05:35 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Online content
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
The 5 year old might not remember too much either (I have zero memory of the illness and only tiny bits of my father at all) but my sister was devastated. She had some dark times in adolescence and teenage years. My mom said her regret is not getting my sister into therapy. My sister was fine from late teens on (and is highly successful and amazing mother today), but in hindsight she was definitely depressed for 5-10 years.

Last edited by Racer1; 08/14/19 05:37 PM.
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: Racer1] #2996553
08/14/19 06:34 PM
08/14/19 06:34 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Cancer just sucks. Aloha nooo, Tim!
You're a Good Man, subway A classic erBB, bus delivered story!

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996576
08/14/19 06:47 PM
08/14/19 06:47 PM
S
slopokecr Offline
Billy Hamilton status
slopokecr  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

Ugh.
Hope not to digress too much from the sentiment, but here's another drunken bus story:
I spent a good part of the nineties living in ski town that had an amazing free bus system. Busses ran till 1 am, so the last few leaving the main bus station in town were ALWAYS filled with drunken ski bums leaving the bars to go home. When the bus pulled into the station, it usually had about 10 minutes before departing again, and the driver would typically go into the station to pee and get coffee. And they would leave the bus running to keep the inside warm, and leave the door open so passengers could embark. If the driver was at all perceived to be "late" in getting back to the bus, the waiting passengers could give him or her some serious heckling upon return. It was common to board a bus that didn't have a driver quite yet.
Well, I had a buddy that was a bus driver who had quite the sense of humor, and pulled this prank a few times:
When he returned to his bus for his next route, wearing a jacket to cover his uniform, instead of getting in the driver's seat, he would find a passenger's seat about half way back in the bus. Waiting for the other passengers to become restless, he joined the fray, pretending to be drunk and loudly saying things like "where's the fvckn driver?!!" and "If he doesn't show up soon, im gonna drive this bus myself!" You can imaging the roar of the crowd when he stumbled into the drivers seat, closed the door, and pulled out of the station in the middle of a heavy snowfall. All those passengers probably still tell the story of when the drunk guy jacked the bus and took them all home.

Last edited by slopokecr; 08/14/19 06:49 PM.
Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996634
08/14/19 08:22 PM
08/14/19 08:22 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
LMAO

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996642
08/14/19 08:37 PM
08/14/19 08:37 PM
Honolulu, HI, USA
S
sponge Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
sponge  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
S

Honolulu, HI, USA
Sweet story for a departed friend. The family will be very appreciative for it.

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996647
08/14/19 08:43 PM
08/14/19 08:43 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
if it even brings just one laugh or smile, i will be glad

Fuk me, every time i open this thread i tear up

Re: An Anecdote of a departed friend- erBB related [Re: subway] #2996650
08/14/19 08:52 PM
08/14/19 08:52 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

I remember the report from that night. Sorry for your loss sub.

Has anyone seen donuts? What usernames is he posting under?

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32