REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: rowjimmytour] #2996397
08/14/19 02:33 PM
08/14/19 02:33 PM
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Originally Posted by rowjimmytour
Originally Posted by CutnSnip
Just got a pretty great job offer in NYC.

Coldest water Ive surfed in is probably Santa Barbara winters at the Queen in a 4/3 and booties. (i know not cold at all)

How fucked am I and whats the likelihood I remain a consistent surfer through the winters there?

With all the gear you see people rocking - are you still cold?

If you need a 4/3 and booties at Rincon I would say no way in hell handle Summer in NY drowning

In the winter? I definitely am not the only one in booties there in the winter. Most people are wearing hoods too.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996408
08/14/19 02:58 PM
08/14/19 02:58 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
a high end winter suit will keep you plenty comfortable. Hell even the cheap ones are adequate these days. But for flex and performance, spend some extra cash on the good shit. I got the O'Neil Hyper mutant 5.5/4 and it's magic. Surfs like a comfortable 4/3, and feels as warm as a 6 mil

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996410
08/14/19 03:04 PM
08/14/19 03:04 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach

Coldest water Ive surfed in is probably Santa Barbara winters at the Queen in a 4/3 and booties. (i know not cold at all)

How fucked am I and whats the likelihood I remain a consistent surfer through the winters there?

If you need a 4/3 and booties at Rincon I would say no way in hell handle Summer in NY drowning

In the winter? I definitely am not the only one in booties there in the winter. Most people are wearing hoods too.

My point most in 805 need 4/3 booties and hood and really h20 temp is 3/2 solo. I grew up in 805 and never wore a 4/3 and booties until I moved to Santa Cruz and surfed Big Sur North SD south shrug Yes everyone is in 4/3 booties including folks in SD so.....I am not a big guy I am 5'8" 170# surf 805 now in vest in trunks and most year in 2mm short sleeve full and late winter go to 3mm hyperfreak comp suit. Time I spent in SC with 4/3 booties was awkward for me with rubber and always hated booties drowning Good luck with 6/4 gloves and booties body cold in Southern CA foreheadslap

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: rowjimmytour] #2996582
08/14/19 06:55 PM
08/14/19 06:55 PM
C
Legend (inyourownmind)
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

My point most in 805 need 4/3 booties and hood and really h20 temp is 3/2 solo. I grew up in 805 and never wore a 4/3 and booties until I moved to Santa Cruz and surfed Big Sur North SD south shrug Yes everyone is in 4/3 booties including folks in SD so.....I am not a big guy I am 5'8" 170# surf 805 now in vest in trunks and most year in 2mm short sleeve full and late winter go to 3mm hyperfreak comp suit. Time I spent in SC with 4/3 booties was awkward for me with rubber and always hated booties drowning Good luck with 6/4 gloves and booties body cold in Southern CA foreheadslap

having some trouble deciphering your version of english but if I can read between the lines you are saying you are a tough guy with warmer blood than most. Props dude, thanks for chiming in!

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: subway] #2996588
08/14/19 06:58 PM
08/14/19 06:58 PM
C
Legend (inyourownmind)
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Originally Posted by subway
a high end winter suit will keep you plenty comfortable. Hell even the cheap ones are adequate these days. But for flex and performance, spend some extra cash on the good shit. I got the O'Neil Hyper mutant 5.5/4 and it's magic. Surfs like a comfortable 4/3, and feels as warm as a 6 mil

See thats the kind of encouragement Im looking for. Consistency and quality of waves is one thing and I realize Id be giving that up, but I just wanted to know if the temperature with the right equiptment are tolerable for most people.

I may hit you up privately for some more info about NY in general if you dont mind.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996597
08/14/19 07:18 PM
08/14/19 07:18 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach

having some trouble deciphering your version of english but if I can read between the lines you are saying you are a tough guy with warmer blood than most. Props dude, thanks for chiming in!

roflmao
Just saying this tough guy would not try surfing Cold Eastern Winter specially if I needed a 4/3 and booties for 56 degree h20 and air temp 60+ degrees....

Last edited by rowjimmytour; 08/14/19 07:34 PM.

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: rowjimmytour] #2996599
08/14/19 07:22 PM
08/14/19 07:22 PM
CA
R
rice Offline
Duke status
rice  Offline
Duke status
R

CA
you are a tough guy

roflmao
Just saying this tough guy

roflmao

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: manbearpig] #2996605
08/14/19 07:31 PM
08/14/19 07:31 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The hell kind of jobs you guys got that making 30k more is pennies.

It's the erBB.

When I argued an additional $1,000 in tax refund in was NOT pennies to the majority of the people in the US I was vehemently shut down.

lol

Anyhow, 30K more than he makes in LA is pennies due to the fact he will experience an increased cost of living in the NYC area.

So although he's making 30K more than he is in LA he's really not making that much more and possibly making less than he is now.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2996607
08/14/19 07:40 PM
08/14/19 07:40 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
What’s the cost of living LA vs NYC?

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996610
08/14/19 07:44 PM
08/14/19 07:44 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

in da hood next to paradise
ya 30k is a good chunk of change but not worth moving to a place like NY. fk dat chit hommiez

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2996611
08/14/19 07:45 PM
08/14/19 07:45 PM
C
Legend (inyourownmind)
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The hell kind of jobs you guys got that making 30k more is pennies.

It's the erBB.

When I argued an additional $1,000 in tax refund in was NOT pennies to the majority of the people in the US I was vehemently shut down.

lol

Anyhow, 30K more than he makes in LA is pennies due to the fact he will experience an increased cost of living in the NYC area.

So although he's making 30K more than he is in LA he's really not making that much more and possibly making less than he is now.

Why the increased cost of living in NY vs LA? Looked at apartments in Rockaway and its the same as Im paying here for something comparable and right now Im far from the beach in Hollywood. I was just there in NYC last weekend - Food,drinks, etc same as in LA. Right now I pay 2300 for a mediocre one bedroom apartment. I hear alot of people say the cost of living in Ny is high but Im not seeing a difference.

My cousin owns a home in Brooklyn on a postmans salary. I make 6 figures now and could afford it w/o the extra 30k. Still not worht it surf stuff aside?

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996617
08/14/19 07:53 PM
08/14/19 07:53 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
yeah i have a pretty f-ing dope home a block from the beach and my mortgage is plenty affordable. i could make half of what i make and still afford it.

Nice thing about NY is that you can find affordable pockets and neighborhoods, without really sacrificing much quality of life difference. SO many rich people (and there are a LOT of legit rich people on Long Island) insist on living on 5 acres, gates, huge houses on golf course etc. So that leaves plenty of perfectly safe, family friendly areas where a normal middle class family can afford a reasonable home.

This is all relative of course. but since we are comparing LA and NY, its valid

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996620
08/14/19 07:59 PM
08/14/19 07:59 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
For $2300 a month you could have a nice 2 bedroom apartment ON the beach in Long Beach, and a 5 minute walk to the train

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996622
08/14/19 08:02 PM
08/14/19 08:02 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
NYC is only "more expensive than LA" if you want an apartment in the west village, Tribeca, N'side Willburg etc

Not all of us pay $10,000 a month for a 2 bedroom walk up

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: subway] #2996624
08/14/19 08:04 PM
08/14/19 08:04 PM
C
Legend (inyourownmind)
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Originally Posted by subway
For $2300 a month you could have a nice 2 bedroom apartment ON the beach in Long Beach, and a 5 minute walk to the train

thats what Im seeing over here online.

I think people making the cost of living comparison tween NY/LA are thinking apartments in Manhattan which yea - obviously ridiculously expensive and small.

Right noiw - the only cost I see immediately added is commuting. I walk to work now so anything is going to be a jump up but cant be more than 50 bucks a week to take the train to and fro the city right?

I do have a lease and would be bringing my car - registration and insurance could be more $$ out there Im assuming?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32