REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: 20W-50 and blood] #2995927
08/13/19 02:17 PM
08/13/19 02:17 PM
C
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status
crotchgrab  Offline
Nep status
C

Originally Posted by 20W-50 and blood
speaking of which.....yo subway.....ive got air miles to burn. if some semi-weekendish swell lines up...you gonna ring the alarm for me? i'll hop on a plane and jam out there for a couple

I've got an extra paddleboard for you when you come. We often get downwind conditions the day or 2 after a swell moves offshore.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: 20W-50 and blood] #2995930
08/13/19 02:19 PM
08/13/19 02:19 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
Originally Posted by 20W-50 and blood
speaking of which.....yo subway.....ive got air miles to burn. if some semi-weekendish swell lines up...you gonna ring the alarm for me? i'll hop on a plane and jam out there for a couple

Of course

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: nada2looz] #2995939
08/13/19 02:57 PM
08/13/19 02:57 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

Originally Posted by nada2looz
the crowds in the rockaways have made it almost unsurfable, especially in the summer. the surf schools are there year round and rent soft tops to hoards of beginners on even the coldest days. zero etiquette and much frustration on any days worth paddling out. long beach is better but not by much. if surfing is your priority, don't come to the east coast. just check the cams in the area early and you'll see the swarms every day.

Not just rockaway, Long Beach too, and the ACOE really f’d it up good last year too
Honestly, living in Long Beach is probably your best option for city work and optimizing surf, but lower your expectations for surf by a lot, and try to build flexibility into your job so that when it’s great for a couple of hours, even during the week, you’re able to get on it.

I’ve nearly given up. Not completely, but nearly
cowabunga
rg

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995940
08/13/19 03:04 PM
08/13/19 03:04 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
It takes a brave man to quit something.

Mahlow

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995941
08/13/19 03:09 PM
08/13/19 03:09 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

would not leave so cal for 30k

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: subway] #2995945
08/13/19 03:17 PM
08/13/19 03:17 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Originally Posted by subway
"dream job" is a strong statement and i feel needs more attention than just the $30K. Yes, surfing is my number one priority, but no matter where you live (unless you hit the El Ogro lottery) we all still have to do something with our days to provide food, shelter and financial security for the present and future. if you can make that day a "dream job" day, that's epic. surf whenever it gets good and take a few trips every year.

Winter is cold, but the joy and exhilaration of scoring an empty or near empty session in water that would otherwise kill you in a half hour is pretty sick

Originally Posted by subway
"dream job" is a strong statement and i feel needs more attention than just the $30K. Yes, surfing is my number one priority, but no matter where you live (unless you hit the El Ogro lottery) we all still have to do something with our days to provide food, shelter and financial security for the present and future. if you can make that day a "dream job" day, that's epic. surf whenever it gets good and take a few trips every year.

Winter is cold, but the joy and exhilaration of scoring an empty or near empty session in water that would otherwise kill you in a half hour is pretty sick

My lottery was working 60hrs/week for 12 years in a place I wasn’t really stocked to be, saving $$, with a goal to GTFO @ 40. I had some interesting job offers after I retired but really just wanted to surf warm reasonably consistent empty waves. If I was in my early 40’s today I don’t know that I would make the same decision. It ain’t empty anymore for one thing. Anywhere. I think if one was conditioned to the lifestyle in the great white north (mostly weather) it wouldn’t be the same as moving from California. To me it would be worth it if I was certain I could bail.

You can’t spend what you ain’t got, you can’t lose something you never had. That’s Muddy. Words to live by.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995946
08/13/19 03:23 PM
08/13/19 03:23 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted by CutnSnip
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The hell kind of jobs you guys got that making 30k more is pennies.

I know right? Im capped off here in LA for what I do unless I want to make some serious work/life sacrifices. This job has better better work life balance - more money, and I have family living in NY doing just fine making way way less than what I d be pulling in.

I wont be living in Manhattan but as far as I can tell - the cost of living is the same as living in Hollywood in other boroughs.

I was going to say in regards to cost of living; SoCal vs NY are likely as a whole not a whole lot different.

But everyone has a price, and I do understand not doing the move for $xxxx amount. I took a pay cut when I moved to CA. For me, I wouldn’t turn down a $30k increase in salary so quickly. NY isn’t the worst place in the world to be a surfer.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: ElOgro] #2996161
08/13/19 08:20 PM
08/13/19 08:20 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by ElOgro
You’ve lost your mind. Less than what it takes you to retire for life isn’t worth it.

I pretty much agree with this. That being said, I've surfed every winter in NJ going back to the winter of 1987/88. The wetsuits we have these days are just incredible compared to anything we had in the 80s and 90s. My suggestion if you are going to work in NYC would to be to rent a place in Rockaway or Longbeach and commute from there. Not my cup of tea but people do it every day.

PS: If the new job isn't flexible in terms of surfing whenever you want you will be miserable. The key to surfing NJ/NY is to be able to drop everything and be on it for the two hours every two weeks that its actually good.

PSS: Stay in California. The crowds are less annoying there.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Autoprax] #2996180
08/13/19 08:56 PM
08/13/19 08:56 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by Autoprax
It takes a brave man to quit something.

Mahlow

roflmao

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996181
08/13/19 08:59 PM
08/13/19 08:59 PM
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

"PSS: Stay in California. The crowds are less annoying there."

no they're not. it's crowded as fk but at least there are waves almost every day.

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996221
08/13/19 09:41 PM
08/13/19 09:41 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
Originally Posted by CutnSnip
Just got a pretty great job offer in NYC.

Coldest water Ive surfed in is probably Santa Barbara winters at the Queen in a 4/3 and booties. (i know not cold at all)

How fucked am I and whats the likelihood I remain a consistent surfer through the winters there?

With all the gear you see people rocking - are you still cold?

If you need a 4/3 and booties at Rincon I would say no way in hell handle Summer in NY drowning

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996226
08/13/19 09:50 PM
08/13/19 09:50 PM
L
Ltbiggles Offline
Grom
Ltbiggles  Offline
Grom
L

Reading this thread with interest, as I moved to NYC recently from further up on the east coast.

New York is fun, but it’s just a city. No different from any cultural capital at the end of the day. The novelty of this will wear off very quickly. If surfing means a lot to you, you may start to find the other diversions here a bit empty, as I have done.

A bigger factor might be your age. It’s easy to keep the stoke alive in your 20’s. In your late 30’s it can be harder to wake up at the crack of dawn to commute to the beach to surf cold, crappy waves. I experienced a dip in stoke over the last winter, and didn’t surf as much as I ought to have done. . Luckily, I managed to get it back and have maintained it, but I would say it requires a lot more effort to surf here.

To reiterate what others have written here, you’ll need a lot of flexibility in your schedule, and a car. Keeping in car in the 5 boroughs is a nuisance a prohibitively expensive. Lots of tolls and tax is quite high.

Cold is really the smallest factor here imo. You’ll need to adjust your dims a bit, a 5/4/3 booties and gloves is at least 15 pounds extra weight.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Havoc4k] #2996347
08/14/19 09:41 AM
08/14/19 09:41 AM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted by Havoc4k
"PSS: Stay in California. The crowds are less annoying there."

no they're not. it's crowded as fk but at least there are waves almost every day.

Just my experience from my travels in southern California. I live in NJ and deal with our crowds every time I surf. The crowds here have exploded since the early 2000s. Its a really shitty crowd of incompetents these days and its a crowd that is really really frustrating to surf with. Its a very disorderly crowd with a lot of back paddling, aggressiveness, pull backers and dangerous incompetent idiots......not to mention the people who are just in the way. Even in the dead of winter on a freaking weekday!

My experiences in California have been that yes it is crowded but its not the same. The crowd is less aggro and more competent. People are more mellow. That leads to a more orderly and less frustrating situation to me. I feel right at home in a crowded lineup in Southern California and to me the vibe is more like it was back home in the 80s and 90s. I don't mind surfing in an orderly crowd and am pretty good at working a crowded lineup. Even on a weekend at Lowers I get my waves and generally don't leave frustrated. The only place I've encountered where the crowd was more like the frustration I get back home is Salt Creek.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996380
08/14/19 01:56 PM
08/14/19 01:56 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Keep in mind I'm a Floridian. So any water up north is colder than I am use to at home, But I took a job at an ad agency in Rhode Island back in the early 90s, worked there almost 2.5 years.

I surfed some of the best /biggest waves I've seen on the east coast during the winters, caught a few well known spots going off with very little crowd compared to where I surf on a good day.
That being said, I was underprepared for the cold. I found myself surfing like a goofball most of the time because I was so damn cold. I was a lot slower, rode bigger boards than I ever have and honestly had a hard time adjusting.

In hindsight I would say, get the best damn wetsuit they make, along with booties, hood and gloves.
I was cheap and didn't spend the money I should have for those winters.

Good luck, there are some greats spots north of where you are going, travel and check them out.
and lastly....."buuuuuuuuuuurr"

Last edited by jbd; 08/14/19 01:57 PM.
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2996393
08/14/19 02:32 PM
08/14/19 02:32 PM
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

Probably dropping in on you, C...
appreciate all the insight here guys...lots to consider.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32