REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995851
08/13/19 03:41 AM
08/13/19 03:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 21,912
SOCAL
2
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Offline
Duke status
**
2

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 21,912
SOCAL
there is some wisdom in that sh!t right there

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995857
08/13/19 04:06 AM
08/13/19 04:06 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
**
H

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
i had some opportunity in nyc to make some serious $$$

i wouldve been retired by now but i wouldve missed a chit ton of sessoons

socal is crowded as fk but there are waves almost everyday

your physically able years are very limited


The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: subway] #2995860
08/13/19 04:21 AM
08/13/19 04:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
C

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
Originally Posted by subway
Agreed. And living at the beach and commuting to work has treated me very well these 5 years now. That’s always an option too, especially for our fickle surf and cold winters


How realistic would it be for me to live in Rockaway and then commute to Midtown?

The job is technically a dream job for what I do with one of the premier brands in the biz. Plus 30k more than what I make here in LA. Other than a relatively short relationship with my girlfriend - I have nothing holding me in California. My folks are here but are planning to retire back east anyways. It would be dumb from a career point of view to turn it down but as most people here on erbb - surfing is a big part of my life and to try and convince myself otherwise makes me sad.

At the end of the day I kind of just hope I have the determination to surf the winters.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Havoc4k] #2995861
08/13/19 04:22 AM
08/13/19 04:22 AM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
C

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
Originally Posted by Havoc4k
i had some opportunity in nyc to make some serious $$$

i wouldve been retired by now but i wouldve missed a chit ton of sessoons

socal is crowded as fk but there are waves almost everyday

your physically able years are very limited


I hear you. Even though surfing in LA can be a bitch most times (traffic,crowds,parking) - its still so easy and consistent.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995869
08/13/19 05:20 AM
08/13/19 05:20 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
**
H

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
$30k extra is nothing. u'll get taxed + standard of living being higher, prly equivalent to LA salary/ not worth it

if you are talking doubling or tripling ur salary then yes. that was my case and it was still not worth it.


The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995871
08/13/19 06:42 AM
08/13/19 06:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,789
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
*
A

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,789
Upon springs' arrival the wetsuits thin and the villagers sing and dance.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: Havoc4k] #2995872
08/13/19 07:37 AM
08/13/19 07:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,123
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
**
C

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,123
Petak Island
Originally Posted by Havoc4k
$30k extra is nothing. u'll get taxed + standard of living being higher


this

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2995873
08/13/19 07:42 AM
08/13/19 07:42 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
**
H

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,658
in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted by Havoc4k
$30k extra is nothing. u'll get taxed + standard of living being higher


this




quit agreeing with me casa!


The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995885
08/13/19 09:50 AM
08/13/19 09:50 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,747
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,747
in the bathroom
The hell kind of jobs you guys got that making 30k more is pennies.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995893
08/13/19 11:41 AM
08/13/19 11:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
***
S

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
Personally I wouldn’t live in Rockaway. The A train subway takes longer than my LIRR commute. You’re stuck with the big city problems of some of the city’s worst projects (not concerned as a fear factor, more just the funk and filth that sadly goes along with many such public housing complexes) plus the added expenses of living within city limits without the fun and food and culture of the city proper. (4% income tax by the city!!) if you were to live “in the city” you would probably want to at least live in brooklyn or Manhattan for a year or two just to experience it, then move to LB haha. I’ve done all 3 and as a surfer in the north east with a career in mid town, living at the beach and commuting an hour each way is the best balance. You will rarely miss a swell even if it lasts a couple hours. And train commuting is pretty civilized and productive. I even meditate sometimes. You ain’t firing up your headspace App in the A traIn.

I can’t comment on whether 30k more makes it worth it, without knowing your lifestyle and expectations. I’m in the opposite position. I make way more here than I could in LA, SD, SF etc. We have offices all over the country and most of those markets managers have tried to entice me at one time or another. Usually with the pitch of warm weather and better surf. I love New York and Long Island surf in the fall or any time it gets good fun and hollow. Most of my closest and oldest friends are either in the city or on the east end of Long Island. Long Beach makes it easy to shoot east for surf and/social visits. But ultimately if I let one of the SoCal managers poach me, I would take a high-5 or even a 6-figure hit leaving the NY DMA. And then my civilized hour on the train turns into a rage inducing hour in traffic.

Surf should be fun here in the morning. I’ll report back after a 2 hour dawn patrol in 75 degree water and a beautiful sunrise followed by a busy day making money.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995894
08/13/19 11:44 AM
08/13/19 11:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
***
S

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
And that extra 30k is a couple of epic surf trips every year

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: manbearpig] #2995901
08/13/19 12:49 PM
08/13/19 12:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
C

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
Originally Posted by manbearpig
The hell kind of jobs you guys got that making 30k more is pennies.


I know right? Im capped off here in LA for what I do unless I want to make some serious work/life sacrifices. This job has better better work life balance - more money, and I have family living in NY doing just fine making way way less than what I d be pulling in.

I wont be living in Manhattan but as far as I can tell - the cost of living is the same as living in Hollywood in other boroughs.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: subway] #2995902
08/13/19 12:53 PM
08/13/19 12:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
C
CutnSnip Online content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
CutnSnip  Online Content OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
C

Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Probably dropping in on you, C...
Originally Posted by subway
Personally I wouldn’t live in Rockaway. The A train subway takes longer than my LIRR commute. You’re stuck with the big city problems of some of the city’s worst projects (not concerned as a fear factor, more just the funk and filth that sadly goes along with many such public housing complexes) plus the added expenses of living within city limits without the fun and food and culture of the city proper. (4% income tax by the city!!) if you were to live “in the city” you would probably want to at least live in brooklyn or Manhattan for a year or two just to experience it, then move to LB haha. I’ve done all 3 and as a surfer in the north east with a career in mid town, living at the beach and commuting an hour each way is the best balance. You will rarely miss a swell even if it lasts a couple hours. And train commuting is pretty civilized and productive. I even meditate sometimes. You ain’t firing up your headspace App in the A traIn.

I can’t comment on whether 30k more makes it worth it, without knowing your lifestyle and expectations. I’m in the opposite position. I make way more here than I could in LA, SD, SF etc. We have offices all over the country and most of those markets managers have tried to entice me at one time or another. Usually with the pitch of warm weather and better surf. I love New York and Long Island surf in the fall or any time it gets good fun and hollow. Most of my closest and oldest friends are either in the city or on the east end of Long Island. Long Beach makes it easy to shoot east for surf and/social visits. But ultimately if I let one of the SoCal managers poach me, I would take a high-5 or even a 6-figure hit leaving the NY DMA. And then my civilized hour on the train turns into a rage inducing hour in traffic.

Surf should be fun here in the morning. I’ll report back after a 2 hour dawn patrol in 75 degree water and a beautiful sunrise followed by a busy day making money.


Thanks for this - lots to consider. I make enough to live out there now as far as I can tell. I do ok by LA standards so the extra 30k while not life changing by any means like you said - could go towards trips or get reinvested.

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995914
08/13/19 01:26 PM
08/13/19 01:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
***
S

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,230
LBNY
"dream job" is a strong statement and i feel needs more attention than just the $30K. Yes, surfing is my number one priority, but no matter where you live (unless you hit the El Ogro lottery) we all still have to do something with our days to provide food, shelter and financial security for the present and future. if you can make that day a "dream job" day, that's epic. surf whenever it gets good and take a few trips every year.

Winter is cold, but the joy and exhilaration of scoring an empty or near empty session in water that would otherwise kill you in a half hour is pretty sick

Re: Winter Surf in NY for a Socal dude. [Re: CutnSnip] #2995917
08/13/19 01:45 PM
08/13/19 01:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 144
N
nada2looz Offline
Grom
nada2looz  Offline
Grom
*
N

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 144
the crowds in the rockaways have made it almost unsurfable, especially in the summer. the surf schools are there year round and rent soft tops to hoards of beginners on even the coldest days. zero etiquette and much frustration on any days worth paddling out. long beach is better but not by much. if surfing is your priority, don't come to the east coast. just check the cams in the area early and you'll see the swarms every day.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32