REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Airline perks #2994825
08/09/19 09:03 PM
08/09/19 09:03 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Which is best? Which is the worst?

Lotta business travelers on here. I know they hook us and book us but I imagine there are some opinions.

Currently a Delta fanboy. But, American’s top shelf is above and beyond what the others offer, IMO. Will not ever go back to United.

Have had status on all 3 and I’d say Delta treats me the best given a measly gold status.

Last edited by sd_101; 08/09/19 09:05 PM.
Re: Airline perks [Re: sd_101] #2994852
08/09/19 10:30 PM
08/09/19 10:30 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Delta is the probably the best among the domestics. I use them twice a year, and its typically hassle free and comfortable enough for a domestic coach seat. Jet Blue is the only other one I can think of that provides an arguably better experience, but they don't have the routes I use so I've only flew them once. I have minimal experience with Alaska, but they seem good.

United is absolutely god awful. I've had a bad experience with them nearly every time. Southwest is fine if you can stay on top of the booking system, but if you slack you get squashed in the middle seat between the biggest people on the plane. Fine for short routes.

Keep in mind, you can use a United or American card to book with the airline partners. I would never use United miles to fly United, but Singapore or Copa? Yes please facelick beer

The problem with all of the perk systems is that the airlines are constantly adding rules and finding ways to make the perks less valuable. I use a United credit card to accrue miles, because they seem like the easiest to redeem for good routes. AA miles often require sh!t routes and extra stopovers to redeem. Delta is the scroogiest for mileage redemption. The last few years I've moved towards pointed based cards that give you a statement credit. That way you book the flight you want and get a rebate for it. I like this approach, because then you can still collect miles for the flight itself, which you don't collect when you redeem miles. Unfortunately, airlines are now cracking down on collecting miles from partner airlines (such as collecting United miles while flying on Copa) unless you buy one of the more expensive fare classes, so you are only guaranteed to collect with the actual airline itself. Fookin silly, but what are you going to do about it foreheadslap

The best value with miles is redeeming them for business class flights, although you are essentially giving up a trip for free to have more comfort.

Ultimately, you're best of collecting miles with whatever airline you use the most.

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Airline perks [Re: grapedrink] #2994920
08/10/19 02:39 AM
08/10/19 02:39 AM
CBS, CA
J
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status
john4surf  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

CBS, CA
When I hit 2 million on American, they sent me a note and made me Platinum for life. When I hit 4 million, nothing (I called and asked if I was to become Executive Platinum for life and they laughed). I switched over to Delta and never looked back at AA. I flew into Atlanta on Delta from along flight from Israel and while awaiting my bag, I noticed the black Platinum card on a fellows bag as we were leaving the carousel. I asked, “why did you fly Delta v AA?” He saw my Executive Platinum (from annual miles) card on my bag and replied, “You flew AA and have to ask?” We both chuckled and went our merry ways!

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32