REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991166
08/02/19 05:53 PM
08/02/19 05:53 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted by Havoc4k
Originally Posted by jkb
Originally Posted by jkb
"The concaves are screwing up your nose and tail measurements. "
how so?

I think your nose and tail rocker measurements are artificially low because your rocker stick is sitting in a concave. If your board was sitting on top of the water without you on it, it would be balancing on the rails, not down to the stringer line where your concaves are deepest.

so is rocker defined 2 ways, centerline and rail? bottom contours can sway the numbers one way or another.

for example, how does ci get the #'s? my flyer-f has lower tail and more nose than the og flyer and they claim they have the same rocker when they clearly don't. flyer-f has much more nose lift

Correct. Centerline and rail.

I'm not sure how CI measures rocker, whether they are giving you centerline rocker numbers or rail rocker numbers. My guess would be rail rocker numbers, but either way, one would think they would be consistent in how they measure rocker.

I don't use the leveling method though because I found that to get a board level, you had to shim under the nose here or the tail there and the spot at which a board was level changed from board to board. When I went with putting the center of the rocker stick at the center of the board method, that always stayed the same and I could compare boards easier. Perhaps when you're measuring your CI's, the spot in which you're finding level is changing with each board, leading to some variability??

However, if you're measuring your own boards for your own uses, I think the method I explained will give you consistent results because it takes out variability caused by variations in concave depth.

Level is placed on center of boar. Spot doesn’t change. Basically it forces a horizontal tangent to the boar which is consistent but not the correct tangent if that makez sense

Not interested in designing but more getting a feel for rockers that werk for me

If you're putting the center of your rocker stick at the center of the board and pressing down on that point, then there is no need for a "level" per se.......as in you don't need the little bubble in your level to be between the lines. You don't even need a level to begin with. You can use it as a straight edge, but you don't need the level part.

Using this method, the straight edge will form a tangent and stay in the same spot whether the board is tilted forward, back, or upside down. Then you just have to correct for the concave depth to determine the actual tangent, if you're interested in getting the rail line rocker.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Rocker [Re: jkb] #2991207
08/02/19 06:58 PM
08/02/19 06:58 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

If you are trying to evaluate your board, rocker is measured on the stringer. Yes, that includes the concave. There is rail rocker and stringer (center line) rocker.

The press down method works if you have arms like an ape and a really, really long neck. I don't, and I don't have an assistant. So pressing down the stick at the center of a 10 foot board and then getting out there to the nose/tail block five feet away to evaluate the measurement is a problem. Hence the level. I'm NOT using a heavy carpenters level. That causes a problem re the board flexing from the weight. I presently have a small bubble level at the center/balance point of my rocker stick.

There are some differences between how you operate as a hand shaper trying to replicate a board or whether you are measuring the board up to make a file.

Re: Rocker [Re: jkb] #2991221
08/02/19 07:38 PM
08/02/19 07:38 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by jkb

If you're putting the center of your rocker stick at the center of the board and pressing down on that point, then there is no need for a "level" per se.......as in you don't need the little bubble in your level to be between the lines. You don't even need a level to begin with. You can use it as a straight edge, but you don't need the level part.

Using this method, the straight edge will form a tangent and stay in the same spot whether the board is tilted forward, back, or upside down. Then you just have to correct for the concave depth to determine the actual tangent, if you're interested in getting the rail line rocker.

incorrect. the tangent will shift around on that spot depending on if the boar has a traction pad on or if it shifts front and back on the rack. level ensures a horizontal tangent at the center point which may or may not coincide with the actual tangent but at least gives a consistent method of measuring the rocker, it may not be the correct tangential way

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Rocker [Re: i_shapes] #2991222
08/02/19 07:39 PM
08/02/19 07:39 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by i_shapes
If you are trying to evaluate your board, rocker is measured on the stringer. Yes, that includes the concave. There is rail rocker and stringer (center line) rocker.

The press down method works if you have arms like an ape and a really, really long neck. I don't, and I don't have an assistant. So pressing down the stick at the center of a 10 foot board and then getting out there to the nose/tail block five feet away to evaluate the measurement is a problem. Hence the level. I'm NOT using a heavy carpenters level. That causes a problem re the board flexing from the weight. I presently have a small bubble level at the center/balance point of my rocker stick.

There are some differences between how you operate as a hand shaper trying to replicate a board or whether you are measuring the board up to make a file.

yup, thanks GWS. Even if you try to tape it down, the tangent shifts around some. can do it the tangent way with 2 people.

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991230
08/02/19 07:58 PM
08/02/19 07:58 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
[Linked Image]

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991231
08/02/19 08:01 PM
08/02/19 08:01 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

lol at invisible buff greg pushing down on the rocker stick

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991242
08/02/19 08:13 PM
08/02/19 08:13 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
You can lift or lower the nose some and your measurement won't change

Blank or board on 1 post with stick above it

Rail line IS your boards rocker , concaves alter those measurements and surface angles including apex

The Broken hand Spoken ! ;-)

Re: Rocker [Re: Greg Griffin] #2991245
08/02/19 08:17 PM
08/02/19 08:17 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
[Linked Image]

Single rack, board balanced at center with stick balanced at center. That's cool.

Why don't you take rail rocker with various bottom contours and off center rocker apexes?

You got this.

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991246
08/02/19 08:20 PM
08/02/19 08:20 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Cuz I'm a Keyboard Cowboy now :-)

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991249
08/02/19 08:32 PM
08/02/19 08:32 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

Bullshit.

You can't quit. That itch won't go away.

roflmao

Why Scott L, the glasser across the driveway was just in here yesterday raving about your boards. Said there really is something different going on. He has me half convinced. I was thinking of ordering a Hover Craft from you.

facelick

Just one more.

wink2

My next business is going to be a rehab facility for shapers who can't quit. I know hundreds of them. Of course most of them have no money. Haven't worked that part of the business out yet, but soon!!!

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991254
08/02/19 08:43 PM
08/02/19 08:43 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
I enjoy making what I make .

All settled here now so this next year I will be back in Hawaii for 1 month , then possibly 2 1 month stays each year - that was my plan .

Scott seems to be having a great time and is doing really nice color work .

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991335
08/03/19 12:00 AM
08/03/19 12:00 AM
D
drunjk Offline
Nep status
drunjk  Offline
Nep status
D

dont try

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991477
08/03/19 02:05 PM