REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rocker #2990903
08/02/19 04:51 AM
08/02/19 04:51 AM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Used GWS method of leveling on centerline and then measuring nose tail and entry

6’ flyer f 2” tail 5.5 nose and 2” entree rocker

Super flipped in nr

Ci perenium 6’1” 2.5” tr 4.75 nr for comparison

That being said true rocker needs a rocker stick to be tangent at centerline it seeems. Leveler only gives horizontal tangent on the centerline and may not coincide with the true tangent. Close enough tho

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2990904
08/02/19 04:53 AM
08/02/19 04:53 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

6 stamps go 2-1/8 tr and 4.5 nr maybe 1.75 entree racker. I’ll msr again

All centerline racker not rail

Griffins boars center n rail rockers r similar due to flat bottom right Greg?

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2990905
08/02/19 04:54 AM
08/02/19 04:54 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Btw gws methid does give consistent results tho

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991038
08/02/19 02:53 PM
08/02/19 02:53 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
I think those numbers sound reasonable

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991042
08/02/19 02:54 PM
08/02/19 02:54 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
entry rocker is kind of a tricky thing
easier to see on shape3d

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991063
08/02/19 03:32 PM
08/02/19 03:32 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
The concaves are screwing up your nose and tail measurements.

This is what I do. Probably way more complicated then it needs to be (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this), but I basically get a rail rocker measurement (as well as concave depth measurements) using this method.

Measure the concave depth at each point you want to measure rocker by running a flat edge from rail to rail and measuring from the stringer to the bottom of the flat edge. I measure every 6"

Balance the center of your rocker stick at the center point of your board. Place a strip of painters tape from one rail over the center point of the rocker stick and then to the other rail to hold it in place.

Measure your rocker every 6".

Add the concave depth at the center (where your rocker stick is balancing) to all the rocker numbers you obtained. This is basically simulating the concave being filled in in the center and your rocker stick sitting higher (even with the rails).

Then at each measurement point, you will need to compensate for shallower and deeper concave depths by subtracting the concave depth numbers you got. For example, lets say the concave depth at the center of your board is 1/4" and at 12" from the tail, your concave is 1/8" deep. For your 12" measurement, you would add 1/4" to your rocker measurement (because of your center point concave depth) and subtract 1/8" because of your concave depth at 12".

Hopefully that makes sense.

Ok, now you may flame away.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Rocker [Re: need 4 speed] #2991066
08/02/19 03:36 PM
08/02/19 03:36 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by need 4 speed
entry rocker is kind of a tricky thing
easier to see on shape3d

ya i did 12" back over curve.

the software is the most accurate way to do it. prly uses secant lines to approx the tangent

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991073
08/02/19 03:44 PM
08/02/19 03:44 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

"The concaves are screwing up your nose and tail measurements. "

how so?

so rocker is measured without concaves first? so how is it defined? rail rocker only? what if there is vee? that reverses things.

on swaylocks there's like 10 different bickering home shapers with not a single clear definition lol

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991077
08/02/19 03:50 PM
08/02/19 03:50 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted by Havoc4k

how so?

so rocker is measured without concaves first? so how is it defined? rail rocker only? what if there is vee? that reverses things.

on swaylocks there's like 10 different bickering home shapers with not a single clear definition lol

A shaper would have a better perspective on this, but I think rocker is measured first without concaves.

All the blanks that shapers use have rocker numbers already.

You would shape a board to the rocker numbers your desire and then add concaves........at least that's my take.

Not sure how to account for vee. Someone else can hopefully chime in on that one.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991079
08/02/19 03:54 PM
08/02/19 03:54 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
how so?

I think your nose and tail rocker measurements are artificially low because your rocker stick is sitting in a concave. If your board was sitting on top of the water without you on it, it would be balancing on the rails, not down to the stringer line where your concaves are deepest.

Re: Rocker [Re: jkb] #2991080
08/02/19 03:56 PM
08/02/19 03:56 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by jkb
how so?

I think your nose and tail rocker measurements are artificially low because your rocker stick is sitting in a concave. If your board was sitting on top of the water without you on it, it would be balancing on the rails, not down to the stringer line where your concaves are deepest.

so is rocker defined 2 ways, centerline and rail? bottom contours can sway the numbers one way or another.

for example, how does ci get the #'s? my flyer-f has lower tail and more nose than the og flyer and they claim they have the same rocker when they clearly don't. flyer-f has much more nose lift

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991100
08/02/19 04:16 PM
08/02/19 04:16 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted by jkb
how so?

so is rocker defined 2 ways, centerline and rail? bottom contours can sway the numbers one way or another.

for example, how does ci get the #'s? my flyer-f has lower tail and more nose than the og flyer and they claim they have the same rocker when they clearly don't. flyer-f has much more nose lift

Correct. Centerline and rail.

I'm not sure how CI measures rocker, whether they are giving you centerline rocker numbers or rail rocker numbers. My guess would be rail rocker numbers, but either way, one would think they would be consistent in how they measure rocker.

I don't use the leveling method though because I found that to get a board level, you had to shim under the nose here or the tail there and the spot at which a board was level changed from board to board. When I went with putting the center of the rocker stick at the center of the board method, that always stayed the same and I could compare boards easier. Perhaps when you're measuring your CI's, the spot in which you're finding level is changing with each board, leading to some variability??

However, if you're measuring your own boards for your own uses, I think the method I explained will give you consistent results because it takes out variability caused by variations in concave depth.

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991113
08/02/19 04:23 PM
08/02/19 04:23 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

Who wants to teach Havoc how to map a board ?

Havoc could be the next great designer :studogshrug:

Re: Rocker [Re: Havoc4k] #2991121
08/02/19 04:39 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

I measure it the same way I've heard others:

Low, medium, high

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Rocker [Re: jkb] #2991122
H
Havoc4k Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted by jkb
Originally Posted by jkb
how so?

Correct. Centerline and rail.

I'm not sure how CI measures rocker, whether they are giving you centerline rocker numbers or rail rocker numbers. My guess would be rail rocker numbers, but either way, one would think they would be consistent in how they measure rocker.

I don't use the leveling method though because I found that to get a board level, you had to shim under the nose here or the tail there and the spot at which a board was level changed from board to board. When I went with putting the center of the rocker stick at the center of the board method, that always stayed the same and I could compare boards easier. Perhaps when you're measuring your CI's, the spot in which you're finding level is changing with each board, leading to some variability??

However, if you're measuring your own boards for your own uses, I think the method I explained will give you consistent results because it takes out variability caused by variations in concave depth.

Level is placed on center of boar. Spot doesn’t change. Basically it forces a horizontal tangent to the boar which is consistent but not the correct tangent if that makez sense

Not interested in designing but more getting a feel for rockers that werk for me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3