REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2991468
08/03/19 01:46 PM
08/03/19 01:46 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Oahu has the most to offer

Focus on that

Ignore the negative comments

Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2992375
08/05/19 05:20 AM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
I ran away from home in high school, moved to Oahu, finished high school at Kahuku, stayed and raised my family here. It's my favorite place in the whole world. Greatest people, greatest weather, greatest waves. Paradise. Worth every penny.

You will always be a guest. Be humble and respectful and smile and be kind. Give. Those kind of guests are treated very, very well here, like family. Truly. My kids went to public schools (my alma mater, Kahuku) and have learned lessons growing up here they never could have learned anywhere else. They have family here that are closer than any blood relatives. They are better people for it. I have ridden waves here that I will remember until the day I die, ke akua willing. But if the waves went away tomorrow, it would still be the best place to live. Locals here value the right things - family, friends, fun, the land, the sea.

Aloha is real.

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2992376
W
Wcurtain Offline
Grom
Wcurtain  Offline
Grom
W

Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
My first visit was in 1963

I lived there for 38 years

Its still a great place and not just the North Shore

So many things to do outdoors - very few bad weather days

Very true about the bad weather days. If there's no surf, there's always something else to do outdoors. I lived there for 11 years and was a poor college student but I've never been happier. Almost 10 years since I moved back to Asia (next door to Indo) and I can't say I am very happier now. Not that life is bad. I truly missed seeing rainbows everyday in Hawaii. There are always negatives to every place. Life is short.

Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2993174
08/06/19 08:30 PM
08/06/19 08:30 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I live on Oahu born and raised but went to college in LA. I live in Honolulu and enjoy it. There's somewhere to surf everyday. The North Shore is 45 minutes away. I don't mind traffic and tourism because to me that equals money/capitalism/opportunity. Mostly everybody here is nice. Old Asians are the biggest closet racists. Costco is your friend.

Last edited by Racer1; 08/06/19 10:23 PM.
Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2993220
08/06/19 10:13 PM
08/06/19 10:13 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
Do it. Hawaii is an amazing place.

I was born and raised on Oahu and went to college at UH Manoa. I left for almost 9 years for my career. Moved back in my 30's.

A few things:
Its expensive. Like seriously expensive. You need to adjust your expectations unless you're loaded with cash. My buddy bought a house in 2017 for $830K in a nice area on the North Shore and it was in bad shape. It required significant repairs. He had to come up with $185K in cash to finance it and now pays $3700 per month. He makes a solid salary but lives paycheck to paycheck because his spouse doesn't work and he has kids.

Groceries are expensive. Gotta shop at Costco or Sams to get deals. Shopping at Safeway will kill your wallet.

There's always stuff to do. lt is rare that there is nothing to surf anywhere on the island.

The people are the friendliest people around. The only people who get ridiculed are the types that lack any sort or social awareness. For instance, I was once surfing a local spot and the haole guy next to me was telling two heavy locals how his new house on the beach should make him a bunch with his Airbnb setup. Don't be that guy.

Traveling isn't a big deal. My spouse is from the mainland and goes back regularly. Flights are getting much cheaper too with Southwest service.

Re: Move to Hawaii [Re: VaB] #2993238
08/06/19 10:54 PM
08/06/19 10:54 PM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

There aren't many 7milemiracles.

Peru, Puerto Rico, Goldcoast....have 'em but volume second rate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32