REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985916
07/23/19 01:24 AM
07/23/19 01:24 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Mt. Wilson story-

My daughter was taking a one week intensive class at Art Center in Pasadena and so I decided to find a good hike/trail run to pass the time. Mt Wilson is a 7 mile hike (14 miles round trip). I was still thinking in terms of running- a 15 mile run for me is pretty easy. I'll do it!

I got there about 9 am. All I had was a 16 oz bottle of water and some coffee candies. We had been to the observatory a few months earlier and I had bought a nice bowl of chili. So I thought- I'll have a bowl of chili at the top. applause2

The first couple of miles of the hike is incessant climbing. Luckily it was still overcast. Up up up. After about a mile and a half of climbing I realized I forgot my wallet. Too far to go back, so no bowl of chili. Fck! foreheadslap

Further up it was shady but you could not stop to rest because of biting flies. As long as you were moving they weren't a problem. As soon as you stopped, they'd be biting.

When I got to the half way point I was like, "Fck! Only half way?" I kept going. As I neared the 5 mile mark I was really tired and almost out of water. I had about 1-1/2" left in the bottle. It had gotten hot. When I got the the 5 mile mark (Manzanita Ridge) I had to make a choice- 2 miles up with no water...or 5 miles down. I chose down.

On the way down, no water, sun beating down, I came to a fork in the trail that I had not seen going up. Which one do I take? One went up. One went down. I started on the one down, but could hear a waterfall and figured it was a spur to the waterfall, so I turned around and started the one going up. It eventually started going down, but I knew it was the wrong trail. I was too tired to turn and go up. I kept going down figuring it had to reach the town eventually. However, if it dead ended, I was fcked. I was pissed off. Bad signage! No signage. This is how people die! "If I have to go back up in the afternoon heat with no water I'll die." cussing

I didn't die but was humbled.

Went back the next day, properly provisioned and dressed for the flies and made it to the top. No bowl of chili. Snack shack closed except on weekends.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985963
07/23/19 04:40 AM
07/23/19 04:40 AM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
That's funny but at same time you were really lucky that you didn't get in serious trouble without water on a hot day. I was going to bring about 4 liters for Jacinto. I go a little overboard though. roflmao Probably a couple beers for the top too. beer

Good call on bug spray. Heard the biting flies and mosquitoes have been really bad. I've been wanting to hike Iron Mountain as soon as it cools down a little and time allows and a lot of reviews mentioned that the bugs were really rough.

Btw, did that 6K trail race. Pretty much cold with minimal walking/running for the previous 3 months because of the broken foot and cardio was naturally shit as expected. But I still finished 2nd in my age group but it kicked my ass, especially with temp in mid-80s. Most the middle school cross country team also kicked my ass. blush2 roflmao. But it was a hell of a lot of fun and can't wait to do another once I'm back in shape a bit. smile2

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2986009
07/23/19 01:52 PM
07/23/19 01:52 PM
S
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status
squidley  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Okay, one more time. As you describe your symptoms they sound like sciatica. Sciatica is EXTREMELY common in humans. Sciatica is commonly caused by piriformis syndrome. The sciatic nerves run from the spine down to the pelvis, out to the hip joints and down to the feet.

The sciatic nerves run along with the piriformis muscles through holes in the pelvis called the sciatic foramen. The collagen sheath surrounding the nerve/muscle complex can cause the piriformis muscles to swell, trapping the sciatic nerves against the pelvis. Subsequently movement damages the sciatic nerves both upstream and downstream from the injury.

To shrink the pirformis muscle, slump at an angle on a tennis ball, and grind it into your hip joint. Do this three times a day about five minutes each time. Do this for two weeks.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2986033
07/23/19 02:32 PM
07/23/19 02:32 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by Kento
Originally Posted by Duffy
Are you sure it’s not a pinched nerve in your low back?

Possible, I suppose, but didn't really any pain in lower back area.

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. roflmao

I had bulging discs in my neck.

Shoulder, elbow, pectoral and shoulder blade area all hurt to varying degrees, mostly excruciating.

No neck pain.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: squidley] #2986170
07/23/19 04:36 PM
07/23/19 04:36 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by squidley
Okay, one more time. As you describe your symptoms they sound like sciatica. Sciatica is EXTREMELY common in humans. Sciatica is commonly caused by piriformis syndrome. The sciatic nerves run from the spine down to the pelvis, out to the hip joints and down to the feet.

The sciatic nerves run along with the piriformis muscles through holes in the pelvis called the sciatic foramen. The collagen sheath surrounding the nerve/muscle complex can cause the piriformis muscles to swell, trapping the sciatic nerves against the pelvis. Subsequently movement damages the sciatic nerves both upstream and downstream from the injury.

To shrink the pirformis muscle, slump at an angle on a tennis ball, and grind it into your hip joint. Do this three times a day about five minutes each time. Do this for two weeks.

Probably not sciatica but we'll see what else PT throws at me. From stretches and exercises they had me doing, wouldn't be surprised to see the tennis ball or something similar coming out.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2986282
07/23/19 07:07 PM
07/23/19 07:07 PM
I
i_shapes Offline
Nep status
i_shapes  Offline
Nep status
I

Hot yoga

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Duffy] #2986325
07/23/19 09:02 PM
07/23/19 09:02 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. roflmao

Shoulder, elbow, pectoral and shoulder blade area all hurt to varying degrees, mostly excruciating.

No neck pain.

I've got something like that going on now. I can make it worse by turning my head to the left. I wake up with knots along my left shoulder blade every morning that I have to work out with a tennis ball. 49 year olds should stay off of skateboards.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: GromsDad] #2986541
07/24/19 01:13 PM
07/24/19 01:13 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by GromsDad

No neck pain.

I've got something like that going on now. I can make it worse by turning my head to the left. I wake up with knots along my left shoulder blade every morning that I have to work out with a tennis ball. 49 year olds should stay off of skateboards.

When I was at my worst I had a paralyzed tricep, pectoral and lat on my right side.

I still haven’t fully recovered my tricep (probably permanent) 4 years later and I cannot straighten that arm.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Duffy] #2987766
07/26/19 02:10 PM
07/26/19 02:10 PM
S
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status
squidley  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted by GromsDad

No neck pain.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Begin by sleeping on your side instead of on your front. Then stop slumping in chairs so much that it presses your spine against your clavicle.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2987969
07/26/19 07:57 PM
07/26/19 07:57 PM
D
drykook Offline
Grom
drykook  Offline
Grom
D

I had the same type of pain, got to a point where it started waking me up at night. Friend says get an X-ray, did and saw a squared out hip joint! Two months later got a new one put in, few months out of the water, and good to go!

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2988483
07/28/19 02:16 PM
07/28/19 02:16 PM
1whoknows Offline
Phil Edwards status
1whoknows  Offline
Phil Edwards status

Take Vicodin... seriously. Power through it. It’ll go away and you’ll think “I wonder why my hip quit hurting?” Then something else will start hurting

“God, I’m glad I’m not me.” Bob Dylan
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: 1whoknows] #2988923
07/29/19 04:58 PM
07/29/19 04:58 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by 1whoknows
Take Vicodin... seriously. Power through it. It’ll go away and you’ll think “I wonder why my hip quit hurting?” Then something else will start hurting

Passed on the Vicodin. roflmao

Hip was no issue. Stretched it well in the morning, stayed hydrated throughout. Long hike but actually pretty cruisey on the way up. Relatively mild elevation gain most of the way until you got to final switchbacks and even then wasn't too bad. Hike down was longer and seemingly never-ending. Felt really damn good to get to the top, think it's the 3rd most prominent peak in the lower 48 so not too shabby. hat

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2990389
08/01/19 10:25 AM
08/01/19 10:25 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Unlikely iliotibial band as those tend to be more chronic. Sciatica can come and go and often will shoot all the way down the leg. Hip arthritis also tends to be chronic once the pain starts, but a lot of people with hip arthritis don't have a lot of pain go figure. You took the hike? That was chance-y with a recent musculoskeletal issue!

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: SurfDoc] #2990528
08/01/19 05:09 PM
08/01/19 05:09 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by SurfDoc
Unlikely iliotibial band as those tend to be more chronic. Sciatica can come and go and often will shoot all the way down the leg. Hip arthritis also tends to be chronic once the pain starts, but a lot of people with hip arthritis don't have a lot of pain go figure. You took the hike? That was chance-y with a recent musculoskeletal issue!

Thanks. So odd that this came on so suddenly. Aside from that hip flexor being tight and twingy, never had any issues in that area of my hip socket. And it felt like an ice pick grinding away inside. Gout was one of the possibilities I was given by doctors but just did some blood work and uric acid levels were perfectly normal. shrug

The methylprednisone I was prescribed was absolute magic and between that and physical therapy, I was feeling pretty confident. The hike was definitely a gamble but I stretched continually going up the hill and things felt OK. .

I just really hope I don't have a recurrence of this, especially if I'm out and about.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2990588
08/01/19 06:17 PM
08/01/19 06:17 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
It usually takes longer to heal than you want it too.

Be kind to your body.

I

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32