REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? #2984348
07/19/19 08:19 PM
07/19/19 08:19 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Just peachy. Been recovering from a broken foot suffered back in March and have been doing physical therapy for the last couple months and it's pretty much 100% as I've been able to handle whatever torture they throw at me. Some of the exercises had the muscle along the outside of my right leg feeling a little thin and stretched the last couple weeks but not really painful. However, yesterday evening, felt like I had a strained glute muscle on right side that kind of pulsed down to my calf, twingy kind of pain that came and went. Has only gotten worse since then and has felt like an ice pick is being ground into my hip socket for the last several hours. Walking isn't too bad but any kind of walking upstairs or inward motion with that leg is quite painful.

Went to the doctor today and got some methylprednisolone pills which I got right to taking. And I do have PT later today (for the foot, not the hip) so I will have them work on that now too.

My wife and I are going for a long hike (20 miles; 5,500+ vertical) the following weekend. Is there anything I can do beyond the prescription so I can be at least close to pain-free by then and without having it relapse while hiking?

Thanks!

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2984409
07/19/19 10:12 PM
07/19/19 10:12 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Probably not, and why did you doctor not add the hip to PT eval?

Is the pain in your groin or outside of the hip?

My hip was quite twingey 4 years ago year after a steep backpack.

I would come and go and I'd be out of commission for about a week every month (couldn't run/hike/surf) steep hikes, hill running, certain boards would really set it off too.

It got to the point where It was always painful to surf backside.

PT diagnosed me with weak hip flexors - very common in runners and hikers.

Two weeks of excercises and I was feeling so much better.

After a month surfing backside became a completely different experience, like I had a new leg.

PT was actually surprised how quickly and measurably I improved.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2984414
07/19/19 10:18 PM
07/19/19 10:18 PM
S
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status
squidley  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2984444
07/19/19 11:04 PM
07/19/19 11:04 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
Probably not, and why did you doctor not add the hip to PT eval?

Is the pain in your groin or outside of the hip?

My hip was quite twingey 4 years ago year after a steep backpack.

I would come and go and I'd be out of commission for about a week every month (couldn't run/hike/surf) steep hikes, hill running, certain boards would really set it off too.

It got to the point where It was always painful to surf backside.

PT diagnosed me with weak hip flexors - very common in runners and hikers.

Two weeks of excercises and I was feeling so much better.

After a month surfing backside became a completely different experience, like I had a new leg.

PT was actually surprised how quickly and measurably I improved.

Oops. Meant to say that I got PT referral for hip but am there for foot right now. Will have to do formal eval a separate day but in.meantime they are giving me some heat right now and some exercises for it.

My hip flexors have had issues for many years. Especially exacerbated from doing frog kicks or even just swinging my leg out too far going to sit on my board. When it pops, am horribly dead in the water. Nothing like taking a set on the head when you're pretty much paralyzed by pain.

Pain right now is purely on the outside of the hip. Just a little behind the side of it. Feels like an ice pick being ground in there.

My foot healed with flying colors and fast but my leg muscles got weak in the interim. Have a feeling this is probably the result of over-exerting it on Tuesday.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2984674
07/20/19 12:44 PM
07/20/19 12:44 PM
S
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status
squidley  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2984675
07/20/19 12:53 PM
07/20/19 12:53 PM
S
StinkinHippie Offline
Nep status
StinkinHippie  Offline
Nep status
S

Kento, 2 things working against you. Sitting at a desk and these long hikes.

You need to get serious about stretching.

The more you sit and hike, the tighter your entire lower body will be.

Eventually you need to incorporate strength exercises, but for now you should be focused on getting loose.

Next time you are down this way you should swing by. I'll walk you through the mobility and flexibility program I am on. Its life changing.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: StinkinHippie] #2984782
07/20/19 04:24 PM
07/20/19 04:24 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by StinkinHippie
Kento, 2 things working against you. Sitting at a desk and these long hikes.

You need to get serious about stretching.

The more you sit and hike, the tighter your entire lower body will be.

Eventually you need to incorporate strength exercises, but for now you should be focused on getting loose.

Next time you are down this way you should swing by. I'll walk you through the mobility and flexibility program I am on. Its life changing.

Yep. The desk job is a killer and combined with being incapacitated for two months, lower body got really weak. Cardio too. I can back to gym now (or surf) so that does help.

Agree about stretching. Got away with not bothering when I was younger but not as limber now.

May take you up on that. cheers

Oh and that methylprednisolone they gave me is goddamn magic! 8 pills deep, night of icing it, and pain is way reduced. Still, though, bit of a ways to go before doing that hike pain free. Night and day from yesterday morning.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2984925
07/20/19 10:05 PM
07/20/19 10:05 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Follow up question also for SurfDoc (or others):

Is it possible that this could have been triggered by gout? Previous days I overdid it a little on beer, wine, food, etc. and probably not staying hydrated enough. I had kidney stones last year and last time I had a physical, I think my uric acid count was a little high. shrug

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985086
07/21/19 01:59 PM
07/21/19 01:59 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

I was having hip problems for a few years from a combination of desk job and playing golf. As casa mentioned surfing backside became almost impossible. You don't realize how you contort your back leg going backside until you have hip problems. Just sitting on a wide board became painful.

I found a video that recommended laying on your back and holding a kids kickball between your feet just off the ground and squeezing it for 20 seconds as hard as you can without pain. Repeat. Got relief from doing this very quickly.

Not long after beginning to do the ball exercise I discovered the machine pictured below at the gym. This thing virtually eliminated my hip pain. When I first started out I could only do 5 reps on 70 pounds (about where the yellow pin is in the picture below). This spring I had it up to working my way through the whole stack and finishing by doing the full stack 7 reps. I noticed that using this machine gave me immediate relief from hip pain and if I'm having a little soreness in the hip as soon as I get off the machine the pain is gone. I think that in addition to strengthening it stretches things out or helps the ball seat itself properly back in the socket. Whatever it does it sure has worked for me.

[Linked Image]

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985094
07/21/19 02:22 PM
07/21/19 02:22 PM
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

I should also add laying on a tennis ball on a hard floor and working it into the muscles and pain points around the hip helped a lot too.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985325
07/22/19 03:15 AM
07/22/19 03:15 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Are you sure it’s not a pinched nerve in your low back?

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Duffy] #2985859
07/22/19 11:29 PM
07/22/19 11:29 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by Duffy

Possible, I suppose, but didn't really any pain in lower back area.

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. roflmao

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: GromsDad] #2985860
07/22/19 11:32 PM
07/22/19 11:32 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by GromsDad
I was having hip problems for a few years from a combination of desk job and playing golf. As casa mentioned surfing backside became almost impossible. You don't realize how you contort your back leg going backside until you have hip problems. Just sitting on a wide board became painful.

I found a video that recommended laying on your back and holding a kids kickball between your feet just off the ground and squeezing it for 20 seconds as hard as you can without pain. Repeat. Got relief from doing this very quickly.

Not long after beginning to do the ball exercise I discovered the machine pictured below at the gym. This thing virtually eliminated my hip pain. When I first started out I could only do 5 reps on 70 pounds (about where the yellow pin is in the picture below). This spring I had it up to working my way through the whole stack and finishing by doing the full stack 7 reps. I noticed that using this machine gave me immediate relief from hip pain and if I'm having a little soreness in the hip as soon as I get off the machine the pain is gone. I think that in addition to strengthening it stretches things out or helps the ball seat itself properly back in the socket. Whatever it does it sure has worked for me.

[Linked Image]

Right on the money about backside surfing not really being there. Nowhere near enough flexibility, strength, or torque, especially after I had been dry-docked for 3 months.

That kickball exercise sounds pretty similar to what they had me doing in PT today. With that torture device you linked, ha, I would imagine it's only a matter of time before I'm using something like that there.

Russ Meyer
Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: Kento] #2985876
07/23/19 12:16 AM
07/23/19 12:16 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Originally Posted by Kento

Had PT eval today after resting and icing all weekend, including taking the meds. Huge progress from that last Friday where that hip was extremely painful. Was able to do all the stretches they gave me, including 10 minutes on the exercise bike. I took it easy but everything felt pretty OK today. Hip flexor itself is tight but that's really what I'm there for.

My wife will take pleeeeeenty of breaks on the hike up Jacinto this weekend so I'll have ample time to stretch it out on the way up. roflmao

Are you doing the "6 Pack of Peaks?"

I did Mt. Wilson about a month ago. Jacinto this time of year sounds hot. Good Luck and I hope you know when to say "Enough!" so you don't reinsure yourself.

Re: Hip Bursitis - expedited cure? [Re: patrolman] #2985885
07/23/19 12:39 AM
07/23/19 12:39 AM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline OP
Duke status
Kento  Offline OP
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted by patrolman
Originally Posted by Kento

Are you doing the "6 Pack of Peaks?"

I did Mt. Wilson about a month ago. Jacinto this time of year sounds hot. Good Luck and I hope you know when to say "Enough!" so you don't reinsure yourself.

I did three last year (Cucamonga, Baldy, and San Bernardino). Eventually will get the other three. How was Wilson last month? Was a cool June but that hike is pretty exposed in places.

Was supposed to be relatively mellow temps this weekend but that forecast changed I guess. Doing the Deer Springs route and will probably start around 4 - 4:30 AM to get a jump on the heat with the high around 89. Longer trail but not as steep that way. Think it averages around 500'/mile which isn't horrible. We'll see how the hip does scrambling up the boulders at the top but as long as I am cognizant of what I am doing and not careless, I should be OK. Will stretch like hell that morning though.

Russ Meyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32