REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982852
07/17/19 03:15 AM
07/17/19 03:15 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by hal9000
Originally Posted by Duffy
Serious question...

Why do care and why does other peoples’ supposedly “better” lives bother you?

Is it just envy or is their more to it?

more like a mild annoyance. they already won the game. why gloat about it so much?

Up until this point I was totally unaware of this “gloating”. If it bothers you why do you look at it?

I have friends that do cool shit and some of them post pictures and clips on IG. I think it’s cool to see people doing cool things. I’m happy for them.

This stuff annoys you. I guess we’re just different.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982854
07/17/19 03:18 AM
07/17/19 03:18 AM
T
tedshred Offline
Nep status
tedshred  Offline
Nep status
T

I fooking hate how "influencers" find some quant little town, hiking spot, eatery, etc and have to announce it to others. Can't you just enjoy your find and STFU about it? My home town has been inundated with tourists because of this shit. A couple of years ago a online magazine ran a article about best hiking trails. Next weekend the dirt road to the trailhead backed up 2 miles into the lot for the surf spot I frequent.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982856
07/17/19 03:22 AM
07/17/19 03:22 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Serious question...

more like a mild annoyance. they already won the game. why gloat about it so much?

Instagram is one big gloat fest.

Why are you following anyone on instagram in the first place?

It's a stain on society. Nothing good about it.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982858
07/17/19 03:27 AM
07/17/19 03:27 AM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
I'll say the same thing I say to everybody with these complaints:

DELETE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA YOU DON'T NEED IT AND IT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPIER

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982863
07/17/19 04:04 AM
07/17/19 04:04 AM
C
CatchSurff Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
CatchSurff  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

1. Doesn't anyone work?

2. Is Indonesia just filled with white Instagram influencers

It appears you have a dislike for white people in everyone of your posts. Are you anti-colonialism?

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982865
07/17/19 04:15 AM
07/17/19 04:15 AM
T
Truth Offline
Miki Dora status
Truth  Offline
Miki Dora status
T

indo totally overrated especially if you are 48 yrs old - you will never get set waves -never eat fresh fish daily - beer always warm and the waves are never good over here beer cheers
so expensive here too $40 a day for me and kid includes everything - even my beer habit
better off going to ponto or waco

https://ibb.co/wLjDwV5][Linked Image][/url] [Linked Image][/img]

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: Truth] #2982917
07/17/19 11:25 AM
07/17/19 11:25 AM
S
StinkinHippie Offline
Nep status
StinkinHippie  Offline
Nep status
S

Originally Posted by Truth
indo totally overrated especially if you are 48 yrs old - you will never get set waves -never eat fresh fish daily - beer always warm and the waves are never good over here beer cheers
so expensive here too $40 a day for me and kid includes everything - even my beer habit
better off going to ponto or waco

https://ibb.co/wLjDwV5][Linked Image][/url] [Linked Image][/img]

You are a freak of nature. The exception to the rule. I dont know how you can go for months without surfing then paddle out in 2X OH Nias and surf like that. I guess a lifetime of Blacks does the trick. And freakish natural ability.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982941
07/17/19 01:45 PM
07/17/19 01:45 PM
J
JSC Offline
Grom
JSC  Offline
Grom
J

Indonesia is definitely not inundated with white Instagram influencers - most of Indonesia doesn't have any Caucasian visitors at all.

88% of all the international visitors who visit Indonesia go to Bali - and stay in Bali.

That's where 98% of the white Instagram influencers are and Bali is definitely not Indonesia - a Hindu anomaly in an otherwise Muslim and Christian country.

Many of these people enjoy the waves and the good life in Canggu or Ubud for a few months until their money runs out and then they leave -

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2982996
07/17/19 03:31 PM
07/17/19 03:31 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
IMO it was Eat Pray Love that thrust Bali into the American mainstream. Otherwise Euros and Ozzies have been frequenting Bali for decades.

I heard jetsetchristina speak on a travel podcast. She was an employee at google, then realized that she could get state sponsored tourism boards and high end properties to promote their hotels and projects. So she is basically paid to stay in villas in Maldives. Sounds like she is winning beer
That said, you have to wonder just how sustainable the IG thing is long term. Seems there is only so much advertising dollar to go around, and will eventually become diluted with only a few standouts making it work for a living. I could be wrong though toilet

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2983003
07/17/19 03:38 PM
07/17/19 03:38 PM
M
mundus Offline
Phil Edwards status
mundus  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

I have a feeling alot of the social media people actually live miserable lives behind the glossy set up photo shoots.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: mundus] #2983018
07/17/19 04:03 PM
07/17/19 04:03 PM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
The internet and social media are the beer goggles of society without the hangover.

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: Duffy] #2983026
07/17/19 04:15 PM
07/17/19 04:15 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Serious question...

Just the human condition.

Everyone knows the phrase 'keeping up with the Joneses', right? Then it became or was subsumed by the phrase 'the rat race'. All just part of the whole 'grass is greener on the other side of the fence', and sung about ( 'you don't always get what you want'), and so on and so on.

Current technology just makes it easier to notice all this stuff that others are doing or purporting to be doing to buoy up their own emptiness.

Takes some training and effort to not get caught up, and people try all the time and you see it with the 'unplug for a day' kind of things to gain some social feedback that helps them disengage (and for some it is a way to buoy up their own emptiness/uncertainty/self-esteem).

Anyway, those above Instagram posts...I'm not helping them live their dream by viewing them here, am I? Because I do like to pretend I am not helping someone/anyone live what I think is a vapid life.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: mundus] #2983029
07/17/19 04:17 PM
07/17/19 04:17 PM
San Buena Ventura
S
SrPato Offline
Miki Dora status
SrPato  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

San Buena Ventura
Yeah, I met a few expats in Costa Rica and on the surface they were living the dream life but in reality, they were struggling with depression, medical issues, worrying about their bank account and paying off the authorities. I've never been to Indo but I can only speculate that the same is happening there. That being said, I'd gladly take a two week vacation to (Insert island name here) with my wife and son.
applause2 wave2 applause2

Sr Pato

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: hal9000] #2983075
07/17/19 04:53 PM
07/17/19 04:53 PM
Mystic
S
Seldom Offline
Grom
Seldom  Offline
Grom
S

Mystic
I hate that 'influencers' is even its own conceptual thing. I understand how one could be mildly annoyed, I also understand how great from unplugging from all that bullshit is.

I used to read surf mags whilst taking my morning shit, now I look at instagram. It's great if you have to shit somewhere where you don't have reading material. As one mentioned, best practices involve not looking at shit that aggravates you.

All that being said, "Culture is your operating system." Ours is wrought with glitches.

Re: Why and how is everyone "living their perfect life" in Indonesia these days? [Re: Seldom] #2983267
07/17/19 08:17 PM
07/17/19 08:17 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted by Seldom
I hate that 'influencers' is even its own conceptual thing. I understand how one could be mildly annoyed, I also understand how great from unplugging from all that bullshit is.

I used to read surf mags whilst taking my morning shit, now I look at instagram. It's great if you have to shit somewhere where you don't have reading material. As one mentioned, best practices involve not looking at shit that aggravates you.

All that being said, "Culture is your operating system." Ours is wrought with glitches.

This is very well put.

applause2 cheers

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32