REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pain Thresholds #2981504
07/15/19 11:31 AM
07/15/19 11:31 AM
P
pearlnecklace Offline OP
Grom
pearlnecklace  Offline OP
Grom
P

Good evening world
I write to you out of desperation and looking for distraction
Patrolman- hope you are doing better- I’m from your area and we share careers, but I’m a lurker at heart, but willing to make changes..?
Currently in the Shargri-la hotel in Koala Lumpur at the tail end of my summer travels with my lady, and daughter.
The Carlsberg and Norco are not even denting the pain In my ankle, it’s all I can do to keep the tears in and wailing; tried deep breathing meditation visualization ice elevation and now at the desperation state where I type into an iPad to nobody in particular.
8 hours ago I had 25miilion MSC (stem cells) delivered from Wharton’s Jelly (umbilical cord derived) into a bad ankle.
The clinic was recommended by a good friend, and was clean and modern, and seemed legit/ as much as a non dr from the other side of the world could deduce.
I left the hospital on crutches and feeling hopeful.
Kaiser P, at home, left me with options of fusion and total replacement TAR
F- that
So hear I am
7:30 at night
25mg in and 2 beers later and still feel like I’ve got a badly broken ankle. Wtf
Those of you thatve broken bones know the pain: super bad, going to dull throbbing, going back to jolts of super pain upon any movement. Thank heaven for my patient lady, and headphones for the little one, cuz she’d be hearing me speak a new language by now.
I think it’s the worst and most prolonged pain I’ve ever felt, and I’ve broken many bones and had more surgeries than I care to share right now.
So as I suffer here from my own choices, maybe someone can share a story about your worst pain ever
It’s gonna be a sleepless night

Last edited by pearlnecklace; 07/15/19 11:36 AM. Reason: Elaboration
Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: pearlnecklace] #2981566
07/15/19 02:48 PM
07/15/19 02:48 PM
CBS, CA
J
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status
john4surf  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

CBS, CA
Sorry to hear... One way to help reduce the pain/throbbing is to elevate the injury above your heart if possible (lying on your back with a pillow under the injured ankle). Another possible way to reduce the pain is to have your lady get to a pharmacy and buy a tube of Voltaren Gel, 3% or whatever they may have on the shelves (it's across the counter most everywhere except the USA which requires a prescription). Voltaren is a strong ibuprofen that when rubbed over the injured joint or bone, relief (varying degree depending on the patient) it usually starts working with in several minutes. It will not work in 'fatty' or muscled areas (like hip, shoulder, etc). Good luck, I don't envy the plane ride home where you're unable to elevate the injury..

This isn't educated medical advice, I'm not a doctor, I am only passing along what has worked fo my family and me with similar injuries, arthritis, etc...

Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: john4surf] #2981968
07/16/19 12:04 AM
07/16/19 12:04 AM
P
pearlnecklace Offline OP
Grom
Grom
P

Thanks, man
I tried elevating and icing...
You are the guy with the crazy physical fitness, right..
Thanks for taking the time

That was the longest night of my life.
Heading to Physical therapy in a few minutes
The thought of lowering my ankle and a bumpy taxi ride has me sweating in panic
Telling myself many people have it much worse, but it is really hard to imagine.
Wtf
Stem cells in a badly arthritic joint may promote some healing but the pain is not to be taken lightly
4K for this? My mantra is no pain no gain but it’s not really helping.
It’s a near religious experience in detachment and the nature of time and existence.
Malaysia is a long fricken way from home.

Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: pearlnecklace] #2982003
07/16/19 12:47 AM
07/16/19 12:47 AM
CBS, CA
J
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status
john4surf  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

CBS, CA
G'luck amigo!

Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: pearlnecklace] #2982076
07/16/19 01:47 AM
07/16/19 01:47 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
I've lived a relatively pain free life. So far the most painful thing I've ever experienced was a needle in my foot in preparation for minor foot surgery. Short lived but excuciating. Like your worst dental needle X20. Just off the charts pain. Then it was over.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: GromsDad] #2982169
07/16/19 04:08 AM
07/16/19 04:08 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted by GromsDad
I've lived a relatively pain free life. So far the most painful thing I've ever experienced was a needle in my foot in preparation for minor foot surgery. Short lived but excuciating. Like your worst dental needle X20. Just off the charts pain. Then it was over.

I had a lidocaine shot in the bottom of my foot a couple weeks ago (did it myself). Holy fuckk!

To the OP...

Make friends with your pain. It’s there for you. Accept it’s love and use it as your reward. Redirect the negative aspects of pain and make it your savior, you muse, your one true partner.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: Duffy] #2982182
07/16/19 05:03 AM
07/16/19 05:03 AM
P
pearlnecklace Offline OP
Grom
Grom
P

Originally Posted by Duffy

Make friends with your pain. It’s there for you. Accept it’s love and use it as your reward. Redirect the negative aspects of pain and make it your savior, you muse, your one true partner.

That’s some Jedi / Sensei mind control tactics right there, man
Easier said than done, but totally worth the effort if you can embrace it.
Just getting back from the physio on the other side of town. Asian traffic in the cities, bumpy roads and stop and go aggressivel driving was my partner and muse!
The doctors agreed that my advanced osteoarthritis was causing more pain than ‘normal’
But the extensive pain is only a sign of all that damage inside that was beginning the healing process
More pain = More healing
Fear and Loathing Pain and Healing in KL
Thanks, gentlemen

Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: pearlnecklace] #2982272
07/16/19 12:58 PM
07/16/19 12:58 PM
S
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status
squidley  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

.Ice

and more ice.

Re: Pain Thresholds [Re: pearlnecklace] #2982841
07/17/19 02:37 AM
07/17/19 02:37 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Good luck. Sounds like you need some deeper investigation into the problem, too.

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32