REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 258 of 259 1 2 256 257 258 259
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2961445
05/31/19 06:42 PM
05/31/19 06:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 855
D
daave Online content
Nep status
daave  Online Content
Nep status
*
D

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 855
serious q deforest - do you ever feel the need for a more traditional board? I had a tomo nano and have tried several others (to me they all seem reasonably similar): they don't paddle well but catch waves well and are very sensitive/responsive boards. Sometimes it feels great but there are a lot of conditions where this isn't exactly ideal...

I guess its possible if you mostly surf in southern california (generally light winds, generally small-medium surf)?

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: daave] #2961521
05/31/19 08:43 PM
05/31/19 08:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
*
D

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
Originally Posted by daave
serious q deforest - do you ever feel the need for a more traditional board? I had a tomo nano and have tried several others (to me they all seem reasonably similar): they don't paddle well but catch waves well and are very sensitive/responsive boards. Sometimes it feels great but there are a lot of conditions where this isn't exactly ideal...

I guess its possible if you mostly surf in southern california (generally light winds, generally small-medium surf)?

Not really!

The only big difference (that i see) on a more traditional board vs. a Tomo board is the nose, and I dont really miss having a nose or feel the need to have a nose. I guess another difference would be that Tomo boards have a more parallel outline vs a traditional board with a more oblong or oval outline... other than that, Tomo boards are faster than most traditional boards, and as you said, they are very sensitive/ responsive.

I do generally surf Southern California waves and Tomo's wide tail designs and rockers sort of suit those conditions, but what conditions would not be ideal for a board that catches waves well and is very sensitive/responsive? Are you referring to big barreling waves?


Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2961626
06/01/19 12:17 AM
06/01/19 12:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
***
G

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
I'd say the Hydrosquash works well in non-stellar conditions. It's my go-to board for winter swell at my local reef that usually has a bit of chop on it due to the cross-shore winds. For me, the MPHs like the Vader, EVO and SP2 do prefer clean conditions. Maybe due to their short length?


The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2961647
06/01/19 12:58 AM
06/01/19 12:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,003
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
**
G

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 19,003
Palm Coast , Florida
" I guess another difference would be that Tomo boards have a more parallel outline vs a traditional board with a more oblong or oval outline..."

The idea before Tomo was curve to shorten the longer - better paddling board

The paralell thing is to make the shorter board ride longer

It's not cosmic

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Greg Griffin] #2962274
06/02/19 07:44 PM
06/02/19 07:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
*
D

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
Originally Posted by Greg Griffin
" I guess another difference would be that Tomo boards have a more parallel outline vs a traditional board with a more oblong or oval outline..."

The idea before Tomo was curve to shorten the longer - better paddling board

The paralell thing is to make the shorter board ride longer

It's not cosmic
actually the “parallel thing” is to make the boards faster. The longer rail line is sort of inevitable.

I think there is a great argument to be made that creative inspiration or inspiration in general (that which caused the development of the Modern Planing Hull “MPH”) is a concept that could probably be referred to as “cosmic” or spiritual?


Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2962289
06/02/19 08:14 PM
06/02/19 08:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,152
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
***
S

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,152
around san diego
Nothing cosmic about a Tomo other than its marketing.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2962322
06/02/19 09:45 PM
06/02/19 09:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,119
S
sh3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sh3  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
*
S

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,119
They're good boards.

Do all of them work for everyone? Hell no.

Same can be said of CIs, Rustys, Pyzels, Losts, Greg Griffins boards (*gasp*) or any of a 1000 shapers/designers/board brands.

To quote Greg, it's about having fun.

(((Cripes, I just quoted Greg.)))

I like the old style Tomo V4s - a lot. I got a Psyko (aka the Sci Fi by Slater Designs), which is essentially a pin tail V4, and it's not my cup of tea. Does that make it a piece of shit? Hell no - it still flies and is very surfable. I just prefer the feel of the V4.

Am I constantly lapping at Daniel's balls and saying how great he is? Hell no to that, too. Some on here need to easy up on the 'praise jesus' aspects of anything with his name on it, as it does a disservice to everyone. He's just a guy, for Christ's sake. Just like any shaper... except the chicks. Then she's just a chick, for Christ's sake.

I've had a few CIs in my day. The MBM was great. The Flyer was fun. The Sashimi was a piece of shit and the Proton wouldn't work for me. Does that make CIs crappy boards... or even that Sashimi a piece of crap? Obviously not. It works for some.

Anyway, let's all try to back-off on the hyperbole. He's not the second coming. He's just a shaper making something fun and different... which I find really fun... and different.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2962330
06/02/19 10:00 PM
06/02/19 10:00 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,225
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
J

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,225
Oceansuck
Well said sir applause


Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2962341
06/02/19 10:34 PM
06/02/19 10:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,775
Oceanside, CA
O
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oceanslide  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
**
O

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,775
Oceanside, CA
Originally Posted by sh3
They're good boards.

Do all of them work for everyone? Hell no.

Same can be said of CIs, Rustys, Pyzels, Losts, Greg Griffins boards (*gasp*) or any of a 1000 shapers/designers/board brands.

To quote Greg, it's about having fun.

(((Cripes, I just quoted Greg.)))

I like the old style Tomo V4s - a lot. I got a Psyko (aka the Sci Fi by Slater Designs), which is essentially a pin tail V4, and it's not my cup of tea. Does that make it a piece of shit? Hell no - it still flies and is very surfable. I just prefer the feel of the V4.

Am I constantly lapping at Daniel's balls and saying how great he is? Hell no to that, too. Some on here need to easy up on the 'praise jesus' aspects of anything with his name on it, as it does a disservice to everyone. He's just a guy, for Christ's sake. Just like any shaper... except the chicks. Then she's just a chick, for Christ's sake.

I've had a few CIs in my day. The MBM was great. The Flyer was fun. The Sashimi was a piece of shit and the Proton wouldn't work for me. Does that make CIs crappy boards... or even that Sashimi a piece of crap? Obviously not. It works for some.

Anyway, let's all try to back-off on the hyperbole. He's not the second coming. He's just a shaper making something fun and different... which I find really fun... and different.


Yes.


"Surfing reminds us of how good life is."
Oceansliding
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2962373
06/02/19 11:40 PM
06/02/19 11:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
***
G

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by sh3
He's not the second coming. He's just a...


VERY NAUGHTY BOY!


The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2962430
06/03/19 01:43 AM
06/03/19 01:43 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,456
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
**
H

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,456
in da hood next to paradise
lolz on this thread.

have couple tomoz in my quiver. they can be magic in the right cond's. usually dont paddle well but catch waves easier than hpsb. great boars!


The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: daave] #2962432
06/03/19 01:47 AM
06/03/19 01:47 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 211
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
***
W

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by daave
serious q deforest - do you ever feel the need for a more traditional board? I had a tomo nano and have tried several others (to me they all seem reasonably similar): they don't paddle well but catch waves well and are very sensitive/responsive boards. Sometimes it feels great but there are a lot of conditions where this isn't exactly ideal...

I guess its possible if you mostly surf in southern california (generally light winds, generally small-medium surf)?


I know this is aimed at deforest, but I personally found this exact thing. Really love the boards initially, but not long after I become a little disenfranchised with them (how quickly Firewire boards yellow does't help in this regard I'm sure), and pick out instances where they either feel amazing, or pretty below average.

The board that I liked the most and actually miss, is the Omni (which doesn't seem to be the masses' favourite board, apart from the kooks who surf it in a 6.10)

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2980584
07/12/19 11:31 PM
07/12/19 11:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
*
D

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 706
California
This may have been a topic already discussed on another thread, but since it had to do with Tomo designs I am posting in this thread.

What fins do you guys use in Tomo boards?

I just lost my front right AM fin (landed on the board and the fin popped out foreheadslap stupid FCS2) so I'm thinking about replacing just that fin or just getting a new set of fins.

I remember JKB saying he uses the reactors in his Gmm2 a lot; so i was thinking about getting those.The Simon Anderson thrusters look good. The Kolohe's look good too. I have the powerdrive fins that work really well, but I was interested in seeing what other fins have worked for people in Tomo designs. Any advice would be great -- thanks.


Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2980620
07/13/19 12:37 AM
07/13/19 12:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,430
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
D

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,430
Your moms house
Originally Posted by sh3
They're good boards.

Do all of them work for everyone? Hell no.

Same can be said of CIs, Rustys, Pyzels, Losts, Greg Griffins boards (*gasp*) or any of a 1000 shapers/designers/board brands.

To quote Greg, it's about having fun.

(((Cripes, I just quoted Greg.)))

I like the old style Tomo V4s - a lot. I got a Psyko (aka the Sci Fi by Slater Designs), which is essentially a pin tail V4, and it's not my cup of tea. Does that make it a piece of shit? Hell no - it still flies and is very surfable. I just prefer the feel of the V4.

Am I constantly lapping at Daniel's balls and saying how great he is? Hell no to that, too. Some on here need to easy up on the 'praise jesus' aspects of anything with his name on it, as it does a disservice to everyone. He's just a guy, for Christ's sake. Just like any shaper... except the chicks. Then she's just a chick, for Christ's sake.

I've had a few CIs in my day. The MBM was great. The Flyer was fun. The Sashimi was a piece of shit and the Proton wouldn't work for me. Does that make CIs crappy boards... or even that Sashimi a piece of crap? Obviously not. It works for some.

Anyway, let's all try to back-off on the hyperbole. He's not the second coming. He's just a shaper making something fun and different... which I find really fun... and different.


the Sashimi is in fact a piece of crap.

Proton is a really good board for really good waves.


No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2980677
07/13/19 04:07 AM
07/13/19 04:07 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,456
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
**
H

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,456
in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted by deforest
This may have been a topic already discussed on another thread, but since it had to do with Tomo designs I am posting in this thread.

What fins do you guys use in Tomo boards?

I just lost my front right AM fin (landed on the board and the fin popped out foreheadslap stupid FCS2) so I'm thinking about replacing just that fin or just getting a new set of fins.

I remember JKB saying he uses the reactors in his Gmm2 a lot; so i was thinking about getting those.The Simon Anderson thrusters look good. The Kolohe's look good too. I have the powerdrive fins that work really well, but I was interested in seeing what other fins have worked for people in Tomo designs. Any advice would be great -- thanks.




which boar?

i like the medium carverz in my tomoz


The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Page 258 of 259 1 2 256 257 258 259