REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Big_Ups] #2979738
07/11/19 05:20 PM
07/11/19 05:20 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I think when you are old, you just maintain. 1.5 body weight is good.

You could even do it once or twice a week.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Big_Ups] #2979760
07/11/19 06:04 PM
07/11/19 06:04 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

I feel like chasing a number or a % of body weight in a particular lift is what leads to injury

Everyone plateaus

Especially if you don’t want to gain weight, which I don’t

I want to stay light weight which is better for surfing and fitting in normal clothes

Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: tacos] #2979812
07/11/19 07:11 PM
07/11/19 07:11 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Where’s Coat Hanger when we need him?

FREALZ lol.

I think you also have to look at his comments in the context of his career. Specifically to football, I don't see deadlifting being very applicable in comparison to other olympic lifts.

In terms of ROI and injury risk, you also have to realize that he is talking about deadlifting stupid amounts of weight. You have literally zero room for error as you get upwards of that kind of weight. Plus the long term risks.

I think most people can work up to at least a 3 plate deadlift and see great results. It's when you are pushing 4-5+ plates where your risk of injury goes way up.

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: grapedrink] #2979813
07/11/19 07:21 PM
07/11/19 07:21 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted by grapedrink
Where’s Coat Hanger when we need him?

FREALZ lol.

I think you also have to look at his comments in the context of his career. Specifically to football, I don't see deadlifting being very applicable in comparison to other olympic lifts.

In terms of ROI and injury risk, you also have to realize that he is talking about deadlifting stupid amounts of weight. You have literally zero room for error as you get upwards of that kind of weight. Plus the long term risks.

I think most people can work up to at least a 3 plate deadlift and see great results. It's when you are pushing 4-5+ plates where your risk of injury goes way up.

I f’d up my back DLing 300ish earlier this year- couldn’t move for 2 days

I do think technique, flexibility and individual anatomy become super important as you move upward to higher weights

Also what is a high weight for one person will differ vs another

I had in my mind that I should be able to DL 2x bodyweight (I weigh about 165)

I’m fortunate that I didn’t have a major injury

Now I would rather err on the side of caution

Nobody really cares what # I deadlift

Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Big_Ups] #2979848
07/11/19 08:26 PM
07/11/19 08:26 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
I want to learn how to jump out of a swimming pool like football players do

What exercises do I need to do for that?

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Duffy] #2979855
07/11/19 08:37 PM
07/11/19 08:37 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Duffy
Originally Posted by Autoprax
Funny observation that I’ve had for awhile.

Guys with big, gym fit showy muscles aren’t really that strong most of the time.

It’s weird at first but some jacked dude will grab ahold of me and I immediately come to the conclusion that they are fooking weak.

Then I procede to toss them around like a little girl and smash them into giving up. It’s especially sweet when they are 20 years younger than me.

smile

Yeah, but how much do you bench bro?

I sometimes sit on a bench.

A friend of mine in the general fitness biz told me he recommends people do modest "bench press" moves and weights on the floor. Says this limits the injury aspect from doing too much weight with too great a range of motion.

True? False? Sensible? Maybe suitable for beginners/older folks?

Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Mr Doof] #2979865
07/11/19 08:58 PM
07/11/19 08:58 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted by Mr Doof

Guys with big, gym fit showy muscles aren’t really that strong most of the time.

It’s weird at first but some jacked dude will grab ahold of me and I immediately come to the conclusion that they are fooking weak.

Then I procede to toss them around like a little girl and smash them into giving up. It’s especially sweet when they are 20 years younger than me.

smile

A friend of mine in the general fitness biz told me he recommends people do modest "bench press" moves and weights on the floor. Says this limits the injury aspect from doing too much weight with too great a range of motion.

Bench press can be a shoulder f’er for some people

Sounds like he is talking about a floor press, where you lay on the... floor

This limits the range of motion and in theory reduces risk of shoulder injury

The bench press is a relatively recent invention in weight lifting history

Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: Mr Doof] #2979866
07/11/19 09:00 PM
07/11/19 09:00 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted by Mr Doof

smile

I wouldn’t know. I don’t do bench presses and no interest in them.

I do push-ups. Does that count?

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: BillyOcean] #2979892
07/11/19 09:39 PM
07/11/19 09:39 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
Originally Posted by BillyOcean
I feel like chasing a number or a % of body weight in a particular lift is what leads to injury

Everyone plateaus

Especially if you don’t want to gain weight, which I don’t

I want to stay light weight which is better for surfing and fitting in normal clothes

Definitely agree. I’ve been pretty conservative with my lifting to avoid injury, doesn’t mean there haven’t been some days where I’ve lifted too recklessly to appease my ego and paid for it the next few days to a week. I could likely hit 1.5x bodyweight with one rep but I don’t do all out one rep max because that seems like it would substantially increase my risk for injury. Been slowly working my way up in weight over the past couple years with what I can safely do for ~5 reps.

And agreed re: weight gain. I definitely don’t eat enough to bulk up or rapidly increase my strength, nor do I really want to get that big.

Re: Nooooooooo! (DL related) [Re: grapedrink] #2979898
07/11/19 09:52 PM
07/11/19 09:52 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted by grapedrink

Farmer walks with even weights on both sides are a fooking waste of time.

It’s one of those “look how much weight I can carry!!!!!” show boat nonsense.

Really?! Seems like it makes a lot of sense. The weight distributed equally on both sides is far safer than a single side. Seems that it would burn our forearms and upper back muscles fairly well. Single or double side, it's probably one of the most applicable from a human evolutionary perspective, i.e. using branches to stabilize a large dead animal while carrying for long distances with a group of people.

Lije Rogan, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to MA and other forms of exercise, but your knowledge of weightlifting is fairly remedial. This is going off this thread and others.

That’s because I generally don’t lift weights. I do Turkish get-ups and suit case carries, plus body weight stuff.

My work requires some feats of strength as well.

I really only do things that are awkward when I’m exercising for the sake of exercising.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32