REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do surfers hearts develop differently? #2962007
06/02/19 10:17 AM
06/02/19 10:17 AM
A
acnjusa Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
A

Swimmers do and surfers exert themselves similarly. The key issue is muscle development with respect to blood pumping laterally (swimmer/surfer)
and blood pumping vertically (runner/basketball etc.). Seems gravity counts.

Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2963578
06/05/19 02:10 AM
06/05/19 02:10 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Unlikely but maybe?

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2968923
06/16/19 09:44 PM
06/16/19 09:44 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
V
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status
VaB  Offline
Michael Peterson status
V

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted by acnjusa
Swimmers do and surfers exert themselves similarly. The key issue is muscle development with respect to blood pumping laterally (swimmer/surfer)

please cite your source.

Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2968939
06/16/19 10:37 PM
06/16/19 10:37 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Their hearts become hard and selfish.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2969013
06/17/19 02:50 AM
06/17/19 02:50 AM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

mine did
I was told last week after my angiogram that my right artery is abnormally strong/big and unusually feeding into the left side of the heart to compensate for a clogged left that needs a litle rotorooter angioplasty cleaning this coming friday

because of where my clog is (At the split of the left major artery and in the major just after the split) they normally would have preferred a cabbage (coronary bypass) but since the right has seemed to grow/adjust to take some of the load from the left, stenting at the joint should be fine

the doctor felt it was nature's way of compensating for a defect i have apparently had for sometime

The right is usually for the lungs and left artery the main body gas line so maybe surf paddling created some requirements for this natural adjustment that may have occurred otherwise but its a guess. Unfortunately its unforeseen blockage of the left that kills most (widowmaker artery)

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: oneula] #2972454
06/25/19 02:32 AM
06/25/19 02:32 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Originally Posted by oneula
mine did
I was told last week after my angiogram that my right artery is abnormally strong/big and unusually feeding into the left side of the heart to compensate for a clogged left that needs a litle rotorooter angioplasty cleaning this coming friday

because of where my clog is (At the split of the left major artery and in the major just after the split) they normally would have preferred a cabbage (coronary bypass) but since the right has seemed to grow/adjust to take some of the load from the left, stenting at the joint should be fine

the doctor felt it was nature's way of compensating for a defect i have apparently had for sometime

The right is usually for the lungs and left artery the main body gas line so maybe surf paddling created some requirements for this natural adjustment that may have occurred otherwise but its a guess. Unfortunately its unforeseen blockage of the left that kills most (widowmaker artery)

My Cardiologist can't explain why my myocardial bridge's symptoms (chest tightness) manifest at the onset of exercise and then go away. He hypothesizes that the other arteries take up the slack, kind of like you are describing.

Hope your procedure went well.

Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: Autoprax] #2972538
06/25/19 05:53 AM
06/25/19 05:53 AM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted by Autoprax
Their hearts become hard and selfish.

roflmao

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: VaB] #2972559
06/25/19 09:02 AM
06/25/19 09:02 AM
A
acnjusa Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
A

Originally Posted by VaB
Originally Posted by acnjusa

please cite your source.

Science Times in NYTimes.

Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: oneula] #2972792
06/25/19 08:29 PM
06/25/19 08:29 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by oneula
mine did

That was last Friday.

How you doing, oneula?

Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2977379
07/06/19 10:23 AM
07/06/19 10:23 AM
usa
S
surfflexx Offline
Nep status
surfflexx  Offline
Nep status
S

usa
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/...550&dclid=CLKr1pqJoOMCFUzzyAodVG0Crw

In theory, those differences should allow blood to move from and back to the runners’ hearts more rapidly than would happen inside the swimmers’.

But these differences do not necessarily show that the runners’ hearts worked better than the swimmers’, says Jamie Burr, a professor at the University of Guelph and director of its human performance lab, who conducted the new study with the lead author, Katharine Currie, and others.

Since swimmers exercise in a horizontal position, he says, their hearts do not have to fight gravity to get blood back to the heart, unlike in upright runners. Posture does some of the work for swimmers, and so their hearts reshape themselves only as much as needed for the demands of their sport.

The findings underscore how exquisitely sensitive our bodies are to different types of exercise, Dr. Burr says.

They also might provide a reason for swimmers sometimes to consider logging miles on the road, he says, to intensify the remodeling of their hearts.

Last edited by surfflexx; 07/06/19 10:26 AM.
Re: Do surfers hearts develop differently? [Re: acnjusa] #2977397
07/06/19 12:54 PM
07/06/19 12:54 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
My heart remodel days have passed, I fear.

incompetence is preferable to malice.

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32